Author Topic: 19" wheel conversion for C5  (Read 40054 times)

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #30 on: July 14, 2010, 03:41:43 pm
Thanks scooterbob, I'll call in. There not responding to my parts Q& A. Thats why I asked you ;) The go to guy.

Thanks for the kudo, man! I appreciate that. As a rider and fellow Enfield fan (some would say "nut job" - but I digress! Haha!  ::)) it's my duty to keep you guys ridin' and smilin' .... no one should have any LESS fun on an Enfield than me!

BTW - Lacing that wheel isn't all that hard if you can count to three ... Hahaha! TRUING it can be a little more difficult - but patience and SMALL adjustments are the key here ... remember that you can't straighten a wheel by adjusting ONE spoke - you gotta do like, half of 'em a little bit to get it right. I've been doing my own wheel building (and everyone else's, too!) for about 30 years and I have learned that a little time, care and attention to detail here will pay off with a wheel that won't need much re-tuning and that will run smooth and true. Best of luck on the project - write back and tell me that it's brilliant once the new baloney skin is on the bike, OK?
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #31 on: July 14, 2010, 04:01:05 pm
What Bob said is true, the truing and getting the wheel round is the tough part. I will certainly keep you updated, with pics to boot.
 Thanks, Dan.
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

qgolden

• Grease Monkey
  • It takes a villiage to raise an idiot.....
Reply #32 on: July 15, 2010, 02:55:20 am
I am glad these Enfields have real spokes to lace!  With the cast aluminum mag wheels and the such there are fewer and fewer wheels to have the opportunity to lace.  In a few years there will only be a few old timers to sit  around and talk about laced wheels.  The youngsters will be lost in the conversation.....
Any other Enfields in New England?

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #33 on: July 15, 2010, 01:29:20 pm
I am glad these Enfields have real spokes to lace!  With the cast aluminum mag wheels and the such there are fewer and fewer wheels to have the opportunity to lace.  In a few years there will only be a few old timers to sit  around and talk about laced wheels.  The youngsters will be lost in the conversation.....

Building wheels .... gapping points ...... carburettors ....... magnetos ........ mechanical fuel injection ....... straight weight, non-dispersant oils .....  Good GAWD A-Mighty - I must be a mechanical dinosaur! Gimme a comfy chair and beer, will ya? ......  ;D I'll tell you about REAL mechanics .... !

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #34 on: July 15, 2010, 01:49:57 pm
Like I said, not having to adjust valves on a bike that looks like the C5 just seems wrong somehow.  Remember when every toolbox had a points file in it?  I still have one somewhere.

Scott

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #35 on: July 15, 2010, 03:11:44 pm
Honey?..... Honey?, didn't I have a bottle of that touch of gray stuff somewhere around here?  STOP! will ya? Your depress'in me.
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #36 on: July 15, 2010, 09:59:46 pm
Like I said, not having to adjust valves on a bike that looks like the C5 just seems wrong somehow.  Remember when every toolbox had a points file in it?  I still have one somewhere.

Scott

Points files .... ignition wrenches ..... sidevalve engines with screwdriver slots in the valve heads to lap them .....

Those were the days ......
And you knew who you were then ......
Bikes was rode by manly men ......
Mister we could a bike like the Interceptor again ........

Didn't need no Harley State ......
British bikes, they filled they slate .....
Gee, my Royal Enfield's gREat ........
Those were the da-a-a-a-a-a-ays!

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #37 on: July 15, 2010, 10:00:52 pm
Honey?..... Honey?, didn't I have a bottle of that touch of gray stuff somewhere around here?  STOP! will ya? Your depress'in me.

Depressed? Really?? - I'm PROUD of my "Racing Stripes"! I earned 'em! Hahahaha!  ;)

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #38 on: July 15, 2010, 10:09:40 pm
Depressed? Really?? - I'm PROUD of my "Racing Stripes"! I earned 'em! Hahahaha!  ;)

It's the solar panel and the boat launches that are getting me down. Not the touch of gray.
CJ
1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #39 on: July 15, 2010, 10:22:56 pm
It's the solar panel and the boat launches that are getting me down. Not the touch of gray.
CJ

Well - You GOTTA grow old ..... you just don't have to grow UP!  ;) That's why we go to RE-unions, get hammere .... er, ah, HAPPY and ride the bus with the sweet hippie chick! Hahahaha!!  ;D

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #40 on: July 15, 2010, 10:32:01 pm
Well - You GOTTA grow old ..... you just don't have to grow UP!  ;) That's why we go to RE-unions, get hammere .... er, ah, HAPPY and ride the bus with the sweet hippie chick! Hahahaha!!  ;D

Right you are sir.
1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #41 on: July 15, 2010, 11:17:40 pm
Hell, gray ain't bad just wait till it all falls out. :o
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #42 on: July 16, 2010, 12:39:45 am
Hell, gray ain't bad just wait till it all falls out. :o

THAT'S why I've not been on the inside of a tonsorial emporium for eight years ..... I'm enjoying it whilst I HAVE it!! Hahahaha!!  ;)

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #43 on: July 16, 2010, 01:29:07 am
I bought a cheap pair of clippers and put those guys out of business! I peel it like an onion once a month and I'm good to go. ;D
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #44 on: July 16, 2010, 02:14:54 am
Wasn't this thread about wheels at some point?  I get lost...