Author Topic: 19" wheel conversion for C5  (Read 40018 times)

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
on: June 28, 2010, 04:55:23 pm
   Hi Guy's, been away for a while, been busy with my other life of Cafe racers and other classics. But I have been checking in, and there as been some real good topics.
   My question is, has anyone tried the 19" wheel conversion on the C5? I noticed their selling it in the new catalogue. If so, has it improved the High speed handling/stability? What was involved in the conversion? New fender or just longer fender stays? What tire did you use? How's it look? etc, etc,.
 Thanks, any info would be great.
  Dan.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 05:25:21 pm by gashousegorilla »
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #1 on: June 28, 2010, 08:07:50 pm
Done it .... It pretty much just plops right in there - ALTHOUGH the fender stay bolt holes MAY need to be slotted for good clearance. It adds a degree of rake or two to the bike - it does enhance the stability through this and its larger diameter (gyroscopic effect). Sadly - the bike was not able to be "muled" as much as I'd like one to be before it got snatched up for a "trailer queen", so I can't tell you any more than that about it. Right off the get-go, however, it was fantastic! It fills the front mudguard ALL the way and looks rather custom, BTW ....
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: June 28, 2010, 08:56:17 pm
Was that both front and rear wheel ?

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: June 28, 2010, 10:08:31 pm
Done it .... It pretty much just plops right in there - ALTHOUGH the fender stay bolt holes MAY need to be slotted for good clearance. It adds a degree of rake or two to the bike - it does enhance the stability through this and its larger diameter (gyroscopic effect). Sadly - the bike was not able to be "muled" as much as I'd like one to be before it got snatched up for a "trailer queen", so I can't tell you any more than that about it. Right off the get-go, however, it was fantastic! It fills the front mudguard ALL the way and looks rather custom, BTW ....

Cool, thanks Scooterbob. What tire did you go with?  Avon road rider's, to match the rear?

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #4 on: June 28, 2010, 10:12:02 pm
I just did the front wheel - and I kept the Avon SM that was mounted on the wheel on it. As I said - I didn't have the proper time to see the project ALL the way through - but the difference was absolutely astounding. BTW - The IDM bikes have the 19" baloney on the front .... they get ALL the cool stuff!! Hahaha!   ::)

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #5 on: June 29, 2010, 02:07:01 am
The IDM bikes have the 19" baloney on the front .... they get ALL the cool stuff!! Hahaha!   ::)

IDM?
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5 (RIP)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (going, going...gone)
http://www.romeoriders.com

Bullet Bill

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: June 29, 2010, 02:43:44 am
I'll give it an educated guess:  IDM = Indian Domestic Market?
There's something that doesn't make sense... let's go and poke it with a stick.

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: June 29, 2010, 03:28:40 am
I'll give it an educated guess:  IDM = Indian Domestic Market?
  Sounds good, I can go with that.  Now how about Avon "SM"?

daves02ES

• Bulleteer
  • Thump Thump
Reply #8 on: June 29, 2010, 04:22:37 am
  Sounds good, I can go with that.  Now how about Avon "SM"?
Lets just stick with SpeedMaster on that one. Don't let your mind wander.
2002 Bullet ES

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: June 29, 2010, 04:38:38 am
Lets just stick with SpeedMaster on that one. Don't let your mind wander.
   Ok,Ok, I'll stop. ::). But seriously, I'm going to give this upgrade a shot, we'll see how it goes. I'll post what I find here.Got to call in to Nfield gear and get the details.

SSR

• Grease Monkey
Reply #10 on: June 29, 2010, 06:22:37 am
We don't get all the goodies down here:(. On C5 its 18 front/rear but C350 has 19 front and 18 rear.

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #11 on: June 29, 2010, 11:53:51 am
We don't get all the goodies down here:(. On C5 its 18 front/rear but C350 has 19 front and 18 rear.

Yeah - That's what I'M whining, pissing and moaning about .... 350cc .... carburetted ..... KICK START ....... 19" front tyre ....... SILVER!! ...... you guys get EVERYTHING! Grass .... greener ......  ::)

JesterNT

• Scooter
  • Maintenance is as much art as it is science.
Reply #12 on: June 29, 2010, 09:14:05 pm
The C5 I got last year was my first motorcycle so I don’t have much of a comparison base.  What is unstable with the 18” stock front wheel?  When you say the 19” is more stable, what does that equate to?  Does it corner better or handle better at higher speeds? 
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #13 on: June 30, 2010, 01:36:54 am
There was no mention of instability in my earlier post - I said that the bigger wheel/tire ENHANCES the stability as it has more (naturally) gyroscopic procession and alters the rake by picking the bike up an inch or so in the front. What this amounts to is less "wobbles" at speed when in the wake turbulence of a truck - or in a stiff crosswind on the road. Your bike is just fine - it is one of the best handling bikes on the Planet today - remember that the handling and suspension engineering was done in Italy - and those boys know what a good handling bike is ALL about. I dare say that the new C5 in stock form rivals the Ducati Monster for quick turn in and the ability to drag the foot pegs about off of it ..... fortunately, there are a couple extra where I ..... er, ah .... I HEARD that you could do that ......  ::)

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #14 on: June 30, 2010, 11:02:24 am
There is a generous bevel on the foot peg rubbers of my military and that with stock Speed Master MKII's front and rear. ;D
No matter where you go, there, you are.