Author Topic: 19" wheel conversion for C5  (Read 40061 times)

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
on: June 28, 2010, 04:55:23 pm
   Hi Guy's, been away for a while, been busy with my other life of Cafe racers and other classics. But I have been checking in, and there as been some real good topics.
   My question is, has anyone tried the 19" wheel conversion on the C5? I noticed their selling it in the new catalogue. If so, has it improved the High speed handling/stability? What was involved in the conversion? New fender or just longer fender stays? What tire did you use? How's it look? etc, etc,.
 Thanks, any info would be great.
  Dan.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 05:25:21 pm by gashousegorilla »
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #1 on: June 28, 2010, 08:07:50 pm
Done it .... It pretty much just plops right in there - ALTHOUGH the fender stay bolt holes MAY need to be slotted for good clearance. It adds a degree of rake or two to the bike - it does enhance the stability through this and its larger diameter (gyroscopic effect). Sadly - the bike was not able to be "muled" as much as I'd like one to be before it got snatched up for a "trailer queen", so I can't tell you any more than that about it. Right off the get-go, however, it was fantastic! It fills the front mudguard ALL the way and looks rather custom, BTW ....
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: June 28, 2010, 08:56:17 pm
Was that both front and rear wheel ?

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: June 28, 2010, 10:08:31 pm
Done it .... It pretty much just plops right in there - ALTHOUGH the fender stay bolt holes MAY need to be slotted for good clearance. It adds a degree of rake or two to the bike - it does enhance the stability through this and its larger diameter (gyroscopic effect). Sadly - the bike was not able to be "muled" as much as I'd like one to be before it got snatched up for a "trailer queen", so I can't tell you any more than that about it. Right off the get-go, however, it was fantastic! It fills the front mudguard ALL the way and looks rather custom, BTW ....

Cool, thanks Scooterbob. What tire did you go with?  Avon road rider's, to match the rear?

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #4 on: June 28, 2010, 10:12:02 pm
I just did the front wheel - and I kept the Avon SM that was mounted on the wheel on it. As I said - I didn't have the proper time to see the project ALL the way through - but the difference was absolutely astounding. BTW - The IDM bikes have the 19" baloney on the front .... they get ALL the cool stuff!! Hahaha!   ::)

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #5 on: June 29, 2010, 02:07:01 am
The IDM bikes have the 19" baloney on the front .... they get ALL the cool stuff!! Hahaha!   ::)

IDM?
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5 (RIP)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (going, going...gone)
http://www.romeoriders.com

Bullet Bill

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: June 29, 2010, 02:43:44 am
I'll give it an educated guess:  IDM = Indian Domestic Market?
There's something that doesn't make sense... let's go and poke it with a stick.

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: June 29, 2010, 03:28:40 am
I'll give it an educated guess:  IDM = Indian Domestic Market?
  Sounds good, I can go with that.  Now how about Avon "SM"?

daves02ES

• Bulleteer
  • Thump Thump
Reply #8 on: June 29, 2010, 04:22:37 am
  Sounds good, I can go with that.  Now how about Avon "SM"?
Lets just stick with SpeedMaster on that one. Don't let your mind wander.
2002 Bullet ES

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: June 29, 2010, 04:38:38 am
Lets just stick with SpeedMaster on that one. Don't let your mind wander.
   Ok,Ok, I'll stop. ::). But seriously, I'm going to give this upgrade a shot, we'll see how it goes. I'll post what I find here.Got to call in to Nfield gear and get the details.

SSR

• Grease Monkey
Reply #10 on: June 29, 2010, 06:22:37 am
We don't get all the goodies down here:(. On C5 its 18 front/rear but C350 has 19 front and 18 rear.

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #11 on: June 29, 2010, 11:53:51 am
We don't get all the goodies down here:(. On C5 its 18 front/rear but C350 has 19 front and 18 rear.

Yeah - That's what I'M whining, pissing and moaning about .... 350cc .... carburetted ..... KICK START ....... 19" front tyre ....... SILVER!! ...... you guys get EVERYTHING! Grass .... greener ......  ::)

JesterNT

• Scooter
  • Maintenance is as much art as it is science.
Reply #12 on: June 29, 2010, 09:14:05 pm
The C5 I got last year was my first motorcycle so I don’t have much of a comparison base.  What is unstable with the 18” stock front wheel?  When you say the 19” is more stable, what does that equate to?  Does it corner better or handle better at higher speeds? 
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #13 on: June 30, 2010, 01:36:54 am
There was no mention of instability in my earlier post - I said that the bigger wheel/tire ENHANCES the stability as it has more (naturally) gyroscopic procession and alters the rake by picking the bike up an inch or so in the front. What this amounts to is less "wobbles" at speed when in the wake turbulence of a truck - or in a stiff crosswind on the road. Your bike is just fine - it is one of the best handling bikes on the Planet today - remember that the handling and suspension engineering was done in Italy - and those boys know what a good handling bike is ALL about. I dare say that the new C5 in stock form rivals the Ducati Monster for quick turn in and the ability to drag the foot pegs about off of it ..... fortunately, there are a couple extra where I ..... er, ah .... I HEARD that you could do that ......  ::)

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #14 on: June 30, 2010, 11:02:24 am
There is a generous bevel on the foot peg rubbers of my military and that with stock Speed Master MKII's front and rear. ;D
No matter where you go, there, you are.

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: July 07, 2010, 03:21:09 am
ScooterBob, Did you post a pic of it? I think I read some where that you did, but can't locate it.

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #16 on: July 12, 2010, 04:50:21 pm
ScooterBob, Did you post a pic of it? I think I read some where that you did, but can't locate it.

Page 109 in the new catalog - and I did put up a couple of "spy pics" of that bike on the forum as well ........

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: July 12, 2010, 05:48:19 pm
Page 109 in the new catalog - and I did put up a couple of "spy pics" of that bike on the forum as well ........

OK? Where?  ??? Should I PM you? Shush. I'll be quiet. ::)

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: July 12, 2010, 08:18:19 pm
Yeah, it is nice!
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #21 on: July 12, 2010, 10:37:58 pm
Sadly - I haven't seen that bike for months - it was SUPPOSED to be loaded up for a demo bike - and then brought back. I'll bet SOMEONE out there has it - and doesn't even KNOW what they have ...... sigh .........  :(

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: July 13, 2010, 02:28:08 am
Yea,LOL!!. And one day we'll see a post here from a guy who is wondering why his C-5 is a highbred. :D

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #23 on: July 13, 2010, 02:20:20 pm
Yea,LOL!!. And one day we'll see a post here from a guy who is wondering why his C-5 is a highbred. :D

You boys KNOW that there has been some pretty trick stuff snatched out from under me ....... it's out there somewhere ........

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: July 13, 2010, 06:17:39 pm
 I think I noticed a little reworking of the seat foam ?

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #25 on: July 13, 2010, 06:23:05 pm
I think I noticed a little reworking of the seat foam ?

Yeah ...... There was a little of THAT, too .... I didn't like the shape of the 'riginal .... so I ree-polstered it .... SOME lucky goon has my nice brown leather-alike seat cover out there, too ..... Dang UTT!!

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: July 13, 2010, 06:52:44 pm
Yea, brown would work nice. Do you guys have any of those 19" wheel set ups in stock? minus tire, laced up to a hub?

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #27 on: July 13, 2010, 07:51:31 pm
The part number is Z90541 - and you get to put it together. Wheel building service IS offered - but I'm not sure of the part number or the price - Tim, The Parts Man has the angle on THAT end of it ...... ! The price is $139.95 - it's on page 7 of the N-Field Gear catalog.

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: July 13, 2010, 08:01:19 pm
Thanks scooterbob, I'll call in. There not responding to my parts Q& A. Thats why I asked you ;) The go to guy.

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #29 on: July 14, 2010, 02:38:38 am
OK, parts all ordered. Rim and spokes from Nfield. 90/90- 19" Avon roadrider, from Dk to match the rear. As scooterbob said they do offer wheel building at a pretty fair price, considering labor involved with lacing.You'll have to send in your hub, which I would recommend. Me, I do it, and the impatient type so I'll do it myself.For those or us who do not do it everyday its a time consuming tedious task. Not many guy's around who do it anymore, so if you find someone near by and he's good, use him. It' s dying art, and a good wheel guy will fly through the lacing process.

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #30 on: July 14, 2010, 03:41:43 pm
Thanks scooterbob, I'll call in. There not responding to my parts Q& A. Thats why I asked you ;) The go to guy.

Thanks for the kudo, man! I appreciate that. As a rider and fellow Enfield fan (some would say "nut job" - but I digress! Haha!  ::)) it's my duty to keep you guys ridin' and smilin' .... no one should have any LESS fun on an Enfield than me!

BTW - Lacing that wheel isn't all that hard if you can count to three ... Hahaha! TRUING it can be a little more difficult - but patience and SMALL adjustments are the key here ... remember that you can't straighten a wheel by adjusting ONE spoke - you gotta do like, half of 'em a little bit to get it right. I've been doing my own wheel building (and everyone else's, too!) for about 30 years and I have learned that a little time, care and attention to detail here will pay off with a wheel that won't need much re-tuning and that will run smooth and true. Best of luck on the project - write back and tell me that it's brilliant once the new baloney skin is on the bike, OK?

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #31 on: July 14, 2010, 04:01:05 pm
What Bob said is true, the truing and getting the wheel round is the tough part. I will certainly keep you updated, with pics to boot.
 Thanks, Dan.

qgolden

• Grease Monkey
  • It takes a villiage to raise an idiot.....
Reply #32 on: July 15, 2010, 02:55:20 am
I am glad these Enfields have real spokes to lace!  With the cast aluminum mag wheels and the such there are fewer and fewer wheels to have the opportunity to lace.  In a few years there will only be a few old timers to sit  around and talk about laced wheels.  The youngsters will be lost in the conversation.....
Any other Enfields in New England?

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #33 on: July 15, 2010, 01:29:20 pm
I am glad these Enfields have real spokes to lace!  With the cast aluminum mag wheels and the such there are fewer and fewer wheels to have the opportunity to lace.  In a few years there will only be a few old timers to sit  around and talk about laced wheels.  The youngsters will be lost in the conversation.....

Building wheels .... gapping points ...... carburettors ....... magnetos ........ mechanical fuel injection ....... straight weight, non-dispersant oils .....  Good GAWD A-Mighty - I must be a mechanical dinosaur! Gimme a comfy chair and beer, will ya? ......  ;D I'll tell you about REAL mechanics .... !

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #34 on: July 15, 2010, 01:49:57 pm
Like I said, not having to adjust valves on a bike that looks like the C5 just seems wrong somehow.  Remember when every toolbox had a points file in it?  I still have one somewhere.

Scott

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #35 on: July 15, 2010, 03:11:44 pm
Honey?..... Honey?, didn't I have a bottle of that touch of gray stuff somewhere around here?  STOP! will ya? Your depress'in me.

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #36 on: July 15, 2010, 09:59:46 pm
Like I said, not having to adjust valves on a bike that looks like the C5 just seems wrong somehow.  Remember when every toolbox had a points file in it?  I still have one somewhere.

Scott

Points files .... ignition wrenches ..... sidevalve engines with screwdriver slots in the valve heads to lap them .....

Those were the days ......
And you knew who you were then ......
Bikes was rode by manly men ......
Mister we could a bike like the Interceptor again ........

Didn't need no Harley State ......
British bikes, they filled they slate .....
Gee, my Royal Enfield's gREat ........
Those were the da-a-a-a-a-a-ays!

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #37 on: July 15, 2010, 10:00:52 pm
Honey?..... Honey?, didn't I have a bottle of that touch of gray stuff somewhere around here?  STOP! will ya? Your depress'in me.

Depressed? Really?? - I'm PROUD of my "Racing Stripes"! I earned 'em! Hahahaha!  ;)

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #38 on: July 15, 2010, 10:09:40 pm
Depressed? Really?? - I'm PROUD of my "Racing Stripes"! I earned 'em! Hahahaha!  ;)

It's the solar panel and the boat launches that are getting me down. Not the touch of gray.
CJ
1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #39 on: July 15, 2010, 10:22:56 pm
It's the solar panel and the boat launches that are getting me down. Not the touch of gray.
CJ

Well - You GOTTA grow old ..... you just don't have to grow UP!  ;) That's why we go to RE-unions, get hammere .... er, ah, HAPPY and ride the bus with the sweet hippie chick! Hahahaha!!  ;D

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #40 on: July 15, 2010, 10:32:01 pm
Well - You GOTTA grow old ..... you just don't have to grow UP!  ;) That's why we go to RE-unions, get hammere .... er, ah, HAPPY and ride the bus with the sweet hippie chick! Hahahaha!!  ;D

Right you are sir.
1972 FLH "Sambo"

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #41 on: July 15, 2010, 11:17:40 pm
Hell, gray ain't bad just wait till it all falls out. :o
Iron Butt Association

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #42 on: July 16, 2010, 12:39:45 am

THAT'S why I've not been on the inside of a tonsorial emporium for eight years ..... I'm enjoying it whilst I HAVE it!! Hahahaha!!  ;)

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #43 on: July 16, 2010, 01:29:07 am
I bought a cheap pair of clippers and put those guys out of business! I peel it like an onion once a month and I'm good to go. ;D
Iron Butt Association

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #44 on: July 16, 2010, 02:14:54 am
Wasn't this thread about wheels at some point?  I get lost...

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #45 on: July 16, 2010, 02:43:51 am
Wasn't this thread about wheels at some point?  I get lost...

Since WHEN have any of us EVER stayed on topic??  ::) That's why you gotta LOVE these guys - they aren't a bunch of stiff upper doods like the engineers on the SAE board ...... WE have FUN!! Of course - we'd have gotten back to the wheels when someone needed to know something else .......  ;)

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #46 on: July 16, 2010, 03:00:55 am
Yea,lol :D I need the touch of gray for what little is left around the crop circle,as my boys call it. :D  It's cool Scotty, Scooterbunker and the boys are just having fun until my parts come in and we can get back on topic. What else would we do, nod off watching all in the family re-runs? Trim our ear hair maybe? Yell at them kids making all that racket out front?

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #47 on: July 16, 2010, 03:36:20 am
THAT'S why I've not been on the inside of a tonsorial emporium for eight years ..... I'm enjoying it whilst I HAVE it!! Hahahaha!!  ;)
EIGHT YEARS!!!!!, Bet you could Doo-up one mean D.A.? ;D
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 05:53:22 pm by gashousegorilla »

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #48 on: July 16, 2010, 01:37:51 pm
Yea,lol :D I need the touch of gray for what little is left around the crop circle,as my boys call it. :D  It's cool Scotty, Scooterbunker and the boys are just having fun until my parts come in and we can get back on topic. What else would we do, nod off watching all in the family re-runs? Trim our ear hair maybe? Yell at them kids making all that racket out front?

"All you rat-bastards - Keep it down out there!! It's eight o'clock and I need to take my pills, trim my nose hair and go to sleep!" .... Oh GAWD ..... Heeheehee! I must be getting OLD!! THAT is just a funny picture in my mind ......  ::)

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #49 on: July 16, 2010, 03:13:27 pm
I think that's a funny picture, then I realize I do all those things.  And I get a little sad.  I think the first time I was undeniably 'not young' was when my barber trimmed my ear hair.  Not like he asked, just did it.  That young, slim, athletic self image you keep of in your mind kinda loses some shine after that :)

Scott

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #50 on: July 16, 2010, 05:42:22 pm
I think that's a funny picture, then I realize I do all those things.  And I get a little sad.  I think the first time I was undeniably 'not young' was when my barber trimmed my ear hair.  Not like he asked, just did it.  That young, slim, athletic self image you keep of in your mind kinda loses some shine after that :)

Scott

Yeah - I hear you on all of the above ..... I, personally, have chosen to have FUN being the crabby old bastard .... and I do. Old guys thinks it's hilarious because THEY wish they could rant and rave about bad knees and gray hair out loud .... and the youngsters are all in denial that they'll be JUST like us in about 25 years ..... I love it! I just hope I'm around to rub those whippersnapper noses in those aches and pains - Muah-ha-ha-ha-ha!!

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #51 on: July 16, 2010, 06:11:06 pm
Yeah - I hear you on all of the above ..... I, personally, have chosen to have FUN being the crabby old bastard .... and I do. Old guys thinks it's hilarious because THEY wish they could rant and rave about bad knees and gray hair out loud .... and the youngsters are all in denial that they'll be JUST like us in about 25 years ..... I love it! I just hope I'm around to rub those whippersnapper noses in those aches and pains - Muah-ha-ha-ha-ha!!
Yea I do it every chance I get with my boy's. Especially when they pat the top of my head, while sitting down to dinner. I just grin and Say," Genetic's Boy's, Genetic's".
 Yea right, we Really gonna pick up some chicks with this Thread, Huh? :D
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 07:42:11 pm by gashousegorilla »

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #52 on: July 16, 2010, 07:36:19 pm
Yea right, we Really gonna pick up some chicks with this Thread, Huh? :D

:D

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #53 on: July 16, 2010, 09:56:39 pm
Women? Who needs 'em - I got a garage full of motorcycle detritus to keep ME busy! Hahahaha!   ::) ;D

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #54 on: July 16, 2010, 10:25:51 pm
OK, got the tracking info. Not till Tuesday for the stuff. AGONY!  AGONY! :P
 So in the mean time, What is the air- speed velocity of an unladen swallow??? ::)

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #55 on: July 16, 2010, 10:37:45 pm
OK, got the tracking info. Not till Tuesday for the stuff. AGONY!  AGONY! :P
 So in the mean time, What is the air- speed velocity of an unladen swallow??? ::)

Would that be an African or European swallow? Er, NO ...uh? A-
                                                                                                     A-
                                                                                                       A-
                                                                                                          a-a-a
                                                                                                             a-a-ah!!!

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #56 on: July 16, 2010, 10:44:53 pm
Very good,very Good!
What is the capital of Assyria?

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #57 on: July 16, 2010, 10:54:06 pm
Oh .... dear ..... GAWD!! NOW I'm stumped ........  :-[ I must do research!  ;)

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #58 on: July 16, 2010, 11:54:55 pm
 No cheate'in,  No internet searches, you must remember or re watch the movie!!!! >:( These  be the Rules !!!

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #59 on: July 17, 2010, 12:45:54 am
What? I don't know that!
Iron Butt Association

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #60 on: July 17, 2010, 12:57:03 am
No cheate'in,  No internet searches, you must remember or re watch the movie!!!! >:( These  be the Rules !!!

Beer and a movie, anyone? Heeheehee!!  ;)

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #61 on: July 17, 2010, 01:22:12 am
What? I don't know that!
Close enough r80rt, very good.
 Next one is a two parter.
 What species of fish did the knights of Nee request?
 What was it to be used for?
  Tick -Tock.

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #62 on: July 17, 2010, 01:57:00 am
A HERRING!!!!!! To chop down the tallest tree in the forrest!
Iron Butt Association

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #63 on: July 17, 2010, 02:35:01 am
Excellent., I thought that would take a while r80rt. Scooterbob got noth'in on you
 OK, what weapon was to be used against the Rabbit? The weapon that was brought by the monks.

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #64 on: July 17, 2010, 02:42:53 am
The holy hand grenade of Antioch of course.
Iron Butt Association

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #65 on: July 17, 2010, 03:55:26 am
Ahem, mightiest tree in the forest if memory serves.

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #66 on: July 17, 2010, 04:00:05 am
You are correct sir!
Iron Butt Association

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #67 on: July 17, 2010, 04:24:20 am
The holy hand grenade of Antioch of course.
Right again!!!!
Too easy so far.
 In the opening credits, what/ type of animal "Bit my sister"?
From memory now, no cheat'in

Bullet Bill

• Scooter
Reply #68 on: July 17, 2010, 07:08:08 am
A llama.  Also, llamas comprised most of the production staff, after the human ones were fired/sacked.

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #69 on: July 17, 2010, 11:46:25 am
A Moose once bit my sister.
Iron Butt Association

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #70 on: July 17, 2010, 12:41:34 pm
I feel like I just got 5 years older reading this thread...
Run what ya brung

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #71 on: July 17, 2010, 03:01:45 pm
Man - Talk about getting TOTALLY smoked here! Heeheehee! That'll teach me to have too many legal beverages in one night ...... What a gREat bunch of fellows!  ;D :D

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #72 on: July 17, 2010, 04:09:43 pm
Moose is the correct answer!!

What Did the witch wear on her Nose?

What was Arthur's servants name?

What was the name of the guy being repressed, digging in the mud?

That should keep you busy for a while, I am off to party.
Do your worst!!!

If tuning in Late to this thread, and your thinking what the %&2?. We are just Having fun until Parts come in.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 05:04:08 pm by gashousegorilla »

Bullet Bill

• Scooter
Reply #73 on: July 17, 2010, 07:34:01 pm
Alright, this time I've got it.  Also, this is one heck of a tangent.  Fun, but all the same...

The "witch" is wearing a false nose.  The villagers put it there to make her look more convincing for the burning.

Arthur's servant?  Patsy.  "Come, Patsy."

Dennis the Peasant was being repressed.

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #74 on: July 17, 2010, 08:50:37 pm
The false nose was a carrot.
Iron Butt Association

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #75 on: July 18, 2010, 03:01:26 am
Dennis and Patsy are correct, we know the Witch was wearing a false nose ::) It looked like a carrot, but they referred to it as something else.  What other veggie?
 r80rt ,you got this.

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #76 on: July 18, 2010, 03:16:40 am
I don'r remember it being referred to by name, but perhaps a parsnip?
Iron Butt Association

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #77 on: July 18, 2010, 03:32:21 am
I don'r remember it being referred to by name, but perhaps a parsnip?
Negative, but you are very close.

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #78 on: July 18, 2010, 08:20:11 pm
Turnip? (Oh GAWD - I should KNOW this ..... ! Heeheehee!) What FUN!  :D

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #79 on: July 19, 2010, 03:14:43 am
Turnip is correct!!!!   :o
 OK, final holy grail question:
What did the Knights who say NEE  Change their name to?

Now for something completely different:
 This will be our final Trivia question, because I fear this may be boring some who"s only interest is spokes and rims.

What team did Bugs Bunny play against, at Jankey Stadium?

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #80 on: July 19, 2010, 03:22:04 am
Ecky-ecky-ecky-ecky-pikang-zoom-boing ;D
Iron Butt Association

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #81 on: July 19, 2010, 03:39:08 am
Ecky-ecky-ecky-ecky-pikang-zoom-boing ;D
YOU GOT IT !!!!  I don't believe it. That was quick!!!  r80rt is now administrator for all things Python related. :D

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #82 on: July 20, 2010, 04:05:21 am

What team did Bugs Bunny play against, at Jankey Stadium?
Is a hint needed?
 Tire is in,BIG!!!

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #83 on: July 20, 2010, 04:22:03 am
Bugs played against the Gas House Gorilla's :D
Iron Butt Association

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #84 on: July 20, 2010, 06:45:55 am
Bugs played against the Gas House Gorilla's :D
Simply amazing. You hit a real Screamer!!! ;) I will never play you in trivial pursuit.

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #85 on: July 20, 2010, 01:05:14 pm
 :D
Iron Butt Association

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #86 on: July 21, 2010, 01:24:23 am
 Got the rim and spokes in today, but I received the wrong spokes :'( But no worry's, scooterbob to the rescue ;D He's gonna get them  out to me asap, probably bye the weekend. So no worry's. It seems that I may be the first to do this mod,at least through CMW, And issues with a new product are no biggy, That's how we learn. They are an excellent Co. to deal with. Besides I do love the idea of being a test Pilot :P
 I have the 19" tire resting in place of the old 18" wheel, Man, better already.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 01:29:49 am by gashousegorilla »

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #87 on: July 21, 2010, 01:31:58 am
Got the rim and spokes in today, but I received the wrong spokes :'( But no worry's, scooterbob to the rescue ;D He's gonna get them  out to me asap, probably bye the weekend. So no worry's. It seems that I may be the first to do this mod,at least through CMW, And issues with a new product are no biggy, That's how we learn. They are an excellent Co. to deal with. Besides I do love the idea of being a test Pilot :P

Thanks for the kudo! I think you ARE the first "man on the street" to build one of these wheels in the comfort of your own living room! Hahahaha! I have twisted up about 10 of them I think ..... That's why I was a little beef-uh-lowed at the spoke choice when I saw the parts number - C'est la Vie - I just do nuts and bolts and LOOK in the catalog!  ;) Let us know how it turns out!

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #88 on: July 23, 2010, 02:31:01 pm
Well?

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #89 on: July 23, 2010, 04:31:09 pm
Well?
Nothing yet Scotty.I know your Jones'in to make your decision on your latest Bike. Lattest tracking put the spokes here on the 27th. Don't feel bad, I have fallen into the abyss of a perpetual state of "STUFF AROUND THE HOUSE", this week while I"m off.
And yes, I was contemplating a leap off the roof, while while doing those freek'in gutters. :(
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 04:40:25 pm by gashousegorilla »

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #90 on: July 23, 2010, 05:04:19 pm
Yech!  Gutters!  Sometimes I really like owning a condo.

Yeah, kinda had the decision made for me.  I figured I should at least test ride the Ninja 250, being just about the only other decent small motorcycle in the States.  I called the dealer and asked if they had one in stock and if I could get a test ride.  "Sure!"

Well I guess we don't agree on the definition of "Sure!".  Basically, they don't give test rides on sport bikes.  Ok, but I'm 40, riding since 12, licensed for 10 years, and coming off a Monster 800.  Serioulsy?  So it turns out they'll only allow a test ride if there's already a deal in place.  Financing secured, papers signed, etc.  I can understand from their point, but seriously?  Then of course he tells me that with my experience I'd really want a 600.  What part of 'small motorcycle' was unclear?

Contrast that with the local RE dealer.  I had been in several times to look at the bikes and have spoken to the manager, mechanic, and sales staff.  We've talked enough that he knows I've been riding a long while, do all my own wrenching and know my way around fuel injection, and that I dig the RE for what it is.  When I showed up there he just handed me two sets of keys and suggested a nice test route.

Now I would venture to guess that not everyone gets treated that way but which dealer would you want to do business with?

I keep hemming and hawing but my wife laughed when I said I was going to test ride the Ninja.  "Why?  You know that's not the bike you want."  Yeah, she knows me.

If all goes well I'll be sorting out the sale of the totalled Ducati today and if I'm lucky I'll get the insurance check today.  I may need a small loan and of course my bank doesn't do moto loans so I'll have to sort that out somewhere else.

Scott

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #91 on: July 23, 2010, 05:07:29 pm

Yeah, kinda had the decision made for me.  I figured I should at least test ride the Ninja 250, being just about the only other decent small motorcycle in the States. 

The Suzuki TU 250 is a cool little bike.
At least until one of your buds sees you on it !!!!!!!!!!! LOL
CJ
1972 FLH "Sambo"

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #92 on: July 23, 2010, 05:45:20 pm
CJ

I'd ride one ..... You know what they say about little bikes - they are chubby chicks - fun to ride but you don't want anyone to see you on one .....  ;) D'OH!

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #93 on: July 23, 2010, 06:05:26 pm
At my age, I'd be happy to be seen with either one  ;D
Iron Butt Association

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #94 on: July 23, 2010, 06:12:45 pm
I really like the suzuki except for 2 things: the paint on the tank is hideous and it's only an air cooled 250 single.  Not much power there.

The Suzuki is a modern-ish engine in a classic frame.  The FI on that bike is a nice touch.  The RE is a much better package: better looks, prettier and bigger engine.  And the Suzuki is a bit on the small side and has no side car offering.  But I did look at it some time ago.

Scott

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #95 on: July 23, 2010, 07:22:03 pm
CJ
AHH!!!, screw his buds. You like what you like. Remember were on an Enfield Forum , we like different stuff.
 Stick with that RE Dealer!
 Now shush, I think I hear her comming. She's find more Stuff. It's now raining, not just a quicky thunder storm, but one of those all day type rains. I now have limited places to hide.

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #96 on: July 23, 2010, 07:23:51 pm
At my age, I'd be happy to be seen with either one  ;D

Hahahaha! HERD dat!!

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #97 on: July 23, 2010, 07:32:37 pm
Got me , now I gotta go shopping, book store no less, Geeez....... :(

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #98 on: July 27, 2010, 12:20:43 am
Saw a TU 250 parked today.  Oustide the showroom and away from the bigger bikes it doesn't look so small.  The engine is not very pretty.  The cylinder is angled forward and and the main case in angular and cheap looking.  On the RE the engine cases look much nice and much more vintage, as do most of the styling cues on the bike.

Scott

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #99 on: July 27, 2010, 12:50:21 am
It's a cool smaller bike, looks like it would have potential for a cool little cafe racer ;D Is that motor from one of there dirt bikes? A single I wish they still made is the Honda GB 500 tt. Nice bike Only made them for a couple of years, based on a Dirt bike motor.

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #100 on: July 27, 2010, 03:52:27 am
The Geeb is a purpose built bike guaranteed to put a normal-sized person in traction after 50 miles.  You don't know from pictures how small it is.  Lovely and good handling, though.  Lord knows I tried to love it...
Run what ya brung

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #101 on: July 28, 2010, 01:49:38 am
The UPS man showed up at about 6:30 pm.  Note in the box,Hand picked and counted by scooterbob, So of course ,all in order ;) Wheel is now laced, late dinner had, time to finish up truing the wheel. Pics later,I want to get her done.
 Scooterbob, I decided to use the origanal chrome nipples that were sent to match the rear.Had to use one of the brass ones you sent in the 2ND delivery because there were only 39 chrome ones sent the first time. Of course I noticed it on my 35 spoke, so I wasn't gonna take them all back out. I'll get the 39 brass nipples and original Electra spokes back to you asap.
Back to work, Dan.

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #102 on: July 28, 2010, 02:27:59 am
The UPS man showed up at about 6:30 pm.  Note in the box,Hand picked and counted by scooterbob, So of course ,all in order ;) Wheel is now laced, late dinner had, time to finish up truing the wheel. Pics later,I want to get her done.
 Scooterbob, I decided to use the origanal chrome nipples that were sent to match the rear.Had to use one of the brass ones you sent in the 2ND delivery because there were only 39 chrome ones sent the first time. Of course I noticed it on my 35 spoke, so I wasn't gonna take them all back out. I'll get the 39 brass nipples and original Electra spokes back to you asap.
Back to work, Dan.

Thanks! Glad it worked out this time ....... Funny what the RIGHT spokes will do for you, eh? THAT little problem is hopefully corrected after a little tiny bit of nose rubbing in the poop ......  ::) Parts guys are SO uppity .....  ;)

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #103 on: July 28, 2010, 04:35:40 am
Bob, what's the etiquette on wheel building?  I've done bikes and we have rules of thumb like never reuse spokes, you only get two builds on any one hub and then you should retire it, use new nipples every time,  lube the nipples with 'spoke prep'.

Most of this is kinda geared toward the fact that you are dealing with small parts that don't take the stress of being used more than once well.  How much of this translates to motorcycles?  What can and can't you reuse?

Scott

holodeck

• Bulleteer
Reply #104 on: July 28, 2010, 05:27:13 am
I was told that a wheel and hub from a G-5 will fit right up? about $350 ?
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 05:29:39 am by holodeck »

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #105 on: July 28, 2010, 11:53:25 am
Bob, what's the etiquette on wheel building?  I've done bikes and we have rules of thumb like never reuse spokes, you only get two builds on any one hub and then you should retire it, use new nipples every time,  lube the nipples with 'spoke prep'.

Most of this is kinda geared toward the fact that you are dealing with small parts that don't take the stress of being used more than once well.  How much of this translates to motorcycles?  What can and can't you reuse?

Scott

Under IDEAL circumstances, I like to use new spokes and nipples - and I'll sure scrutinise a hub for wear and tear ...... but I've recycled all of the above without incident on many occasions. Usually, when I get into a wheel project, it's because it's trashed and I just nip the spokes with bolt cutters, thus solving the "reuse" problem. On the race bikes (where the wheels get regular service) I measure the length in a little gage that I made. Any spoke that is stretched is OUT. Usually about two builds is all you get on those before they stretch. As for the hub - let availability be your guide - that and whether or not the holes for the spokes are pulled through and paper thin ... Hahaha! Buchanan has some great nipple and spoke lube - although a moly EP grease works well to get the right tension on the spokes. If they start "creaking" when you are tightening them, they are too dry and you'll not get them properly set. Harley heads always build their wheels dry so they don't get fingerprints on them - I say do it RIGHT - and wipe 'em off!

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #106 on: July 28, 2010, 03:18:57 pm
Harley heads always build their wheels dry so they don't get fingerprints on them - I say do it RIGHT - and wipe 'em off!

You mean you value integrity and safety over aesthetics?  What are you thinking?!?!?

Also, do you take a ride or two on a new wheel and then re-check the spoke tension and true or are they good to go right out of the stand?

Scott

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #107 on: July 28, 2010, 05:03:06 pm
Scotty, I used Buchanan nipple and spoke lube left over from a prior build. Good stuff, makes everthing go together much easier.Also prevents the spokes from seizing.I'll recheck tension on the spokes after a ride, but the idea is to get as best you can before you mount the tire.Correct spoke tension, correct runout and faceout. In my case it was .5 mils. for both. It's impractical to retrue after you take it for a ride, because to do it correctly, the tire should be off. After your first pothole encounter, chances are, your gonna throw that wheel out a bit, especially on a short rake bike.Also I would be carfull how much you  torque the spokes after the wheel is back on the bike, very easy to put the rim out of kilter.
Dan.

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #108 on: July 28, 2010, 11:58:46 pm
It's done. Looks awsome, time for a test ride, we'll see how she  handles.Also made some wider Handlebars. Added 2 1/2" to both ends, for about a 33" bar. Must have coffe and a couple smokes first. ;) Pics later.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #109 on: July 29, 2010, 03:02:52 am
Congrats on finishing and good luck with the test ride!

qgolden

• Grease Monkey
Reply #110 on: July 29, 2010, 03:21:14 am
And tell us about the bars, start a new thread if appropriate.

I'd like to see pics and some details, bend radius and rise etc...

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #111 on: July 29, 2010, 05:03:48 am
OK, here's the pics, start to finish with summery of test to follow.
Notice direction and orientation of spokes marked in hub. BH for big hook,SM for small hook or inner and outer spokes.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 05:07:33 am by gashousegorilla »

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #112 on: July 29, 2010, 05:12:31 am
Some more. Snipped spokes on 18" wheel, up on stand,trued and finished wheel. An exact 1" difference.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 05:15:50 am by gashousegorilla »

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #113 on: July 29, 2010, 05:19:53 am
Finished product and on the bike.

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #114 on: July 29, 2010, 05:25:00 am
Some more finish shots.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #115 on: July 29, 2010, 06:25:36 am
Looks snug but not terrible and not out of place.  How does she ride?  You know, you post all them glorious pics and we still want more ;)  Thanks for all the pics so quickly.

Side note: insurance and sale of Ducati wreck all sorted, money in the bank.  Shopping time!

Scott

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #116 on: July 29, 2010, 07:08:45 am
Results time,
Positives first:
Ease of installation.As scooterbob said, it's really just a matter of swapping the wheel out with no modification to the fender, at least with the tire I used.The only thing I did was to grind down the pedestrian slicer bolts inside the fender. They did not rub, but I did it for Peace of mind.
Appearance. It definitely looks better. It does fill the fender nicely. The over all look and stance of the bike is better.
 Low speed handling. It no longer has that "moped feel" as the professor so astutely pointed out ;). It still handles/corners excellently at speeds from 0-50 mph.But not quite as good with the 18" wheel. It does have better straight line stability at these speeds. 35 mph, no hands, straight and true.I could never do that with the 18" wheel.It would tend to veer,left or right.
Negatives:
Center stand. Not a biggy at all,but it is more difficult to get the bike on and off the center stand.
High speed stability. This is the most important for me as you probably know, if you have followed this thread and my thread on the swing arm. I took the bike out on the highway, and was stunned to find that I had lost about 5-10mph in high speed stability, that I gained in the swing arm mod.At speeds starting at 60-65 mph,same old story,she starts to get light and squirrely.As speed increases ,it only get worse. At  75 mph,uncontrollable. Again, the slightest turbulence sets it off. Wind, truck, hitting a bump, or even knocking your knee into the side of your tank. It seems to me, what is happening at these speeds is that the front end and the rest of the bike get out of sync ,if you will ,caused by the turbulence,and does not correct fast enough. My 5-10 mph loss is probably from increasing the rake,and not adjusting for trail.A 1" wheel size change should not be a big deal.This is not like building a chopper when you just install much longer legs, and don't cut,adjust,and re weld the neck for correct rake and trail combination.
 So it's back to the drawing board for me Boys.I'm still glad I did this wheel mod,it improves the look and feel of the bike. I just now know the front wheel is not the cause of my bikes high speed instability.Maybe it's time to try a stabilizer? Any thoughts?
 Dan.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 07:11:57 am by gashousegorilla »

qgolden

• Grease Monkey
Reply #117 on: July 29, 2010, 01:02:15 pm
Well it certainly looks good.  Fits the fender like it was made to be there. 

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #118 on: July 29, 2010, 02:24:21 pm
Hmmmmm - That's certainly interesting ...... I wish I still had my 19'-wheel test mule here to check that out ...... Is the oscillation set off by wind buffeting from the side? What stops it? Strong-arming the bars? Slowing down? Our "pro rider" here (really - he raced professionally for a few years ...) hasn't mentioned one hiccup with an 18" wheel bike - only acknowledging that you COULD induce an oscillation at high speeds - but that it was a "non" - neither increasing nor decreasing in frequency until you "strong-armed" it a bit and made it stop ...... I've never encountered it yet ........ Interesting, indeed ......

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #119 on: July 29, 2010, 03:16:35 pm
Though I have already considered a stabilizer myself (and I don't even own an RE yet) it's never good to use them to 'cover up' a problem. 

Another thought, maybe look into a higher profile rear tire.  I was looking up the M26 the other day and they are available in a few sizes.  Maybe if you get the back end just a little higher you can  get that nice balance back.

Another thought, get the front tire dynamically balanced at a shop with a machine.  Couldn't hurt and shouldn't cost too much.

Oh, and check to make sure the steering head bearings are set properly.  Just covering all the bases.

All that failing, maybe a stabilizer is the way to go.  They tend to cancel out those little nudges to the bars that set off the wobble cycle.

Bravo for your persistence and I still intend on 'Gorilla-ing' my swingarm.

Scott

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #120 on: July 29, 2010, 05:18:09 pm
Hmmmmm - That's certainly interesting ...... I wish I still had my 19'-wheel test mule here to check that out ...... Is the oscillation set off by wind buffeting from the side? What stops it? Strong-arming the bars? Slowing down? Our "pro rider" here (really - he raced professionally for a few years ...) hasn't mentioned one hiccup with an 18" wheel bike - only acknowledging that you COULD induce an oscillation at high speeds - but that it was a "non" - neither increasing nor decreasing in frequency until you "strong-armed" it a bit and made it stop ...... I've never encountered it yet ........ Interesting, indeed ......
Yea bob, a side to side wind could set it off, along with just about any thing else.Strong arming really does not seem to help, that's why I tried longer bars. Also what does not seem to help or have little impact is different riding positions, leaning back, tucking in,tire pressure adjustments, suspension adjustments, steering play is good, no ruff spots, no play yet not too stiff.etc. etc etc. The only thing that brings her back under control after oscillation starts,is to get back under 60mph.Although I am not a modern sportsbike guy, it seems to be having the same negative handling quality's of the short rake sportbikes, but at lower speed.
Will get it figured, I'm still positive ;D
Dan.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #121 on: July 29, 2010, 05:25:16 pm
Those wheels do look good on her.

No matter where you go, there, you are.

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #122 on: July 29, 2010, 05:47:36 pm
Though I have already considered a stabilizer myself (and I don't even own an RE yet) it's never good to use them to 'cover up' a problem. 

Another thought, maybe look into a higher profile rear tire.  I was looking up the M26 the other day and they are available in a few sizes.  Maybe if you get the back end just a little higher you can  get that nice balance back.

Another thought, get the front tire dynamically balanced at a shop with a machine.  Couldn't hurt and shouldn't cost too much.

Oh, and check to make sure the steering head bearings are set properly.  Just covering all the bases.

All that failing, maybe a stabilizer is the way to go.  They tend to cancel out those little nudges to the bars that set off the wobble cycle.

Bravo for your persistence and I still intend on 'Gorilla-ing' my swingarm.

Scott
Yea Scotty, wider profile would probably help a little, but it's not going to get me over the hump,if you will. The little fixes just ain't doi'n it.Tire was balanced on a machine,at shop I use for mounting tires. For 20 bucks,it don't pay for me buy a machine. There good though, Drag race old BSA's,hold some record I think. 140 plus mph, on an old 68".
After the test last night,I pulled the wheel and checked it for trueness and balance on my stand,all OK.
Persistent,me?I'm a nut :D But seriously,that's why we work on bikes, or cars ,or machinery. Were trouble shooter's, and enjoy it.
I am looking foward to the new and improved "DUC BRACE". ;)
Dan.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #123 on: July 29, 2010, 06:50:50 pm
Funny, hadn't thought of it but an old school fork brace might help.  They used to have them for many bikes.  It's a big aluminum clamp that grabs both lower fork tubes at their tops and rides right over the tire/fender.  The idea is to make the fork siffer and keep if from twisting.  They're no longer needed with today's sport bike that have large diameter upside down forks that are super stiff.  I think they need to be tailored for the bike so you have clamps of the right diameter to match the fork legs and the righ disance between them.  I think I've also see a few cheap models made of stamped steel that bolt to the fender mounting bolts at the top of the fork lowers.

Which you don't have.  Because you got the C5 instead of the G5.  Foke leg lower swap project anyone?

Scott

qgolden

• Grease Monkey
Reply #124 on: July 29, 2010, 07:59:09 pm
Good thought, I have seen them machined in a clamp arrangement as well.  Two halves machined in such a way that they could be opened up and attached in front and in back of the fork above the fender.  The two halves are then held together front to rear by Cap Screws.   It would fit the Enfield and be cheap to manufacture.

in the meanwhile you could do some testing with a mock up like this to see if it helps.

qgolden

• Grease Monkey
Reply #125 on: July 29, 2010, 08:03:19 pm
Here is a retro-fit-able one that looks a little more professional.  ::)

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #126 on: July 29, 2010, 08:10:47 pm
q, that first one is ingenious but ugly :)  Strictly speaking, you need something big so it's rigid.  That small center section would ned to be much wider and aluminum is better, much more rigid than steel for it's weight.

The second one is nice.  Has the look of  a JC Whitney part to me.  Not that that's a bad thing.

Scott

qgolden

• Grease Monkey
Reply #127 on: July 29, 2010, 08:18:37 pm
Yup ugly is as ugly does!     You could make the center section a lot wider by drilling holes and mounting it on top of the clamps instead of in between them.  You could even put a center section on top and one on bottom and bolt them through the muffler clamps.  One could build the whole thing for under 10 bucks,  under 5 if you have a friend in a machine shop. 

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #128 on: July 29, 2010, 10:44:00 pm
Both excellent thoughts gentlemen.Thanks.I actually toyed with the fork brace idea,briefly,before the swing arm mod. I've made one in the past, for a Honda shadow bobber I did, using 1" flat stock,bent in the shape of a "U". Two lengths,braced by 1" pieces,between the two "u" shaped lengths. Like a chequer board. Chromed it. looked good. Stiff as heck. I did it because "a proper Bobber has no front fender" ::) Drilled holes in it, followed the contour of the wheel nice.I'll see if I can find a pic.
 But as scotty pointed out, and I did not even think of.the lack of a top fender mount :'(
That's how I mounted the Bobber brace.Quinn, Like the idea of the cheap mock up with the muffler clamps, my only concern is the very thin ,1mm, shrouding, above the lower legs. check out your C-5, you'll see what I mean.I fear I will crush them.Also like the fork brace pic you posted, is it from JC?
The handle bar mod is probably not thread worthy, It was just a matter of welding on 2 1/2" extentions on the stock bars. Cut off and old pair of cb bars.
Come to think of it, why I was thinking about a fork brace,was because I met a guy up in Connecticut a couple of months ago, Who also had high speed stability issues with his Triumph Thruxton.He did all kinds of suspension up grades, and the last thing he said he did, was to put on a fork brace, which he said cured his problem. He was upset at spending all that money on Olin's shocks, steering damper, etc. Then getting a relatively cheap fork brace. I guess I chalked it up to a cumulative effect at the time?
Thanks boys, good work and keep thinking.
Dan.
Sorry,no close up of the Brace.
Come to think of it ,I also made a hidden fork brace, under the cafe front fender of a sportster chopper I did. Same configuration as the bobber.But again mounted to the top fender mounts. 13" longer in the legs,43 degree rake. Believe it or not, the bike handled pretty good. It had a Seeger cycle front end on it, for correct Rake and trail combination.No raked trees, but a pivot arrangement in the lower tree.Made in germany, very ingenious.
Sorry, I digress.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 11:16:47 pm by gashousegorilla »

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #129 on: July 29, 2010, 11:46:23 pm
Hmmmmmm - A FORK brace ...... Perhaps you guys are on to something here ..... Let the cobbing up process BEGIN!  ;)

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #130 on: July 30, 2010, 12:19:25 am
Oooooooooo.... forgot the fork shrouds :(  Without those you might as well get a G5. 

I would say though that if you're going to do an ugly clamp mock up, weld it and make the cross brace as wide as possible.  Bolting it together won't make it very rigid.  Also, put some thick sheet material under the clamps to distribute the load so you don't pinch the top of the outer fork tubes.  They're thin and it's easy to crack them if you get to vigorous just removing the seals.

Scott

qgolden

• Grease Monkey
Reply #131 on: July 30, 2010, 02:35:59 am
Yup, I forgot about them too.

The pic I posted was just a google images find. 

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #132 on: July 30, 2010, 03:35:53 am
Hmmmmmm - A FORK brace ...... Perhaps you guys are on to something here ..... Let the cobbing up process BEGIN!  ;)

Hey what are you?  Some kind of mechanical voyeur?   Wait, I think that kind of describes all of us. :P  Talk about the pot calling the kettle perverted!

Scott

qgolden

• Grease Monkey
Reply #133 on: July 30, 2010, 03:49:22 am
Scott,
Speaking of perverted which rhymes with converted,  are you going to be changing your handle to C5 Scotty or G5 Scotty soon?

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #134 on: July 30, 2010, 04:12:30 am
What?  That doesn't rhyme at all!  

Besides, it goes against my general rule of never wearing the t-shirt of the band your going to see and never wearing the gear with the name of the make/model you actually ride.  I think it's the full Harley starter kits people buy that turned me off to it.  You know:  the brand spakin' new ain't even broken in yet combo of Harley branded bike, helmet, shirt, vest, jacket, sunglasses, pants, boots, gloves, plus all the same for the wife to ride your 112dB noise maker three miles to the coffee shop waking up everyone within 8 blocks to sit there and drink lattes for 6 hours with the other 'bikers' and then ride 3 miles back home until the next sunny Sunday.

But I digress :D
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 04:18:23 am by Ducati Scotty »

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #135 on: July 30, 2010, 04:34:16 am
Boy ain't that the truth.

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #136 on: July 30, 2010, 05:23:59 am
Yea a fork brace is gonna be tough on this bike in it's stock form. But doable with some cutting of the fender in the area of the lower leg. But I'll be pissed if it don't work after cutting that nice fender. It will have to be a big arch shaped, clamp on design, above the fender. It's the whole location thing of where the shroud is,the lower leg down below the top of the fender,with very little clearance between the lower leg and the fender. And how is something like that going to look on a bike like the C-5? :-\

It is now time for a vote, do I pursue a fork brace or stabilizer? ???

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #137 on: July 30, 2010, 06:04:30 am
How about something like this? But extended down further to the lower fender mounts? Maybe a cross brace at the top of the arches? done in 1/2" bar? If done right, it could almost look like a fender stay. Whats the math on something like that look like scotty?

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #138 on: July 30, 2010, 06:17:33 am
It is now time for a vote, do I pursue a fork brace or stabilizer? ???

Hell no.  Too ugly.  Why ride a C5 at that point?

If you're really curious just take the fender off and put one on and see if it works. 

Scott

qgolden

• Grease Monkey
Reply #139 on: July 30, 2010, 01:20:27 pm
Take the fender off
Make a brace
Install Brace
Ride like hell
If it works figure out how to build around the fender.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #140 on: July 30, 2010, 03:07:37 pm
Whats the math on something like that look like scotty?

The further down the forks it mounts the less rigid it gets.  It also gets heavier, leading to higher unsprung weight for your front wheel and lower suspension performance.

Q's got the right idea.  See if it works first without the fender.  Then you can see if the ugly actually provides any benefit.

Scott

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #141 on: July 30, 2010, 06:29:15 pm
OK ,OK all very logical.I must think. Patience boys. where to invest my time efficiently,with best chance of positive results? I can remove the fender, mock up a Quinn brace and test her out, if it works great.BUT, the finished product will have to be a large double "u" shape design like in the pic. So it won't be a true apples for apples test. Or for less work, maybe, a damper of stabilizer?
Decisions, decisions. Oh Geez :-\

Scooterbob,some input please.you know these front ends better then most.They seem pretty short and stiff to me.
Dan.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 06:33:54 pm by gashousegorilla »

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #142 on: July 30, 2010, 07:30:47 pm
If it works, you could design a final version with just the back side brace.  The font and rear model can be minimal, the back side only final model would need to be beefier to attain the same rigidity.  

Build a quick and dirty fenderless model to see if you're even on the right trail.  If you are, you can assess from there what a final version should be.  Otherwise, maybe it's time to look at steering stabilizers.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/hydraulic-steering-stabilizer/p2006037.jcwx?skuId=233889&TID=8014524FT4&zmam=15972153&zmas=21&zmac=141&zmap=882542

Scott

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #143 on: July 30, 2010, 11:37:59 pm
Scotty, would a hydralic type damper, like the one in your pic, perform it's function correctly, if it was mounted from the front down tube, up through and in between the forks. In a straight position, inline with the bike, on an angle up, between the fender and the vented regulator housing? Ya know what I mean?
 What I'm thinking of is mounting the damper to the frame with a 38mm damper clamp on one side.Then the other side would be mounted to a riggedly made steel "V" shaped mount. The "v"  shaped mount would attach at the top of the "V" to the blinker studs on the lower tree. At the base of the "V" I would make a threaded mount for the other end of the damper.This would be the side with the aduster. It would stick out a bit between the legs, but frick it,form must follow function. Really no other practical place to mount one.
What do you think?
Dan.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #144 on: July 31, 2010, 12:34:28 am
Don't have an RE to look at but...

In general they mount two ways:
1) parallel to the center line of the bike in a near horizontal orientation mounting one end to a brace on the fork leg or the bottom triple
http://www.ducatimonster.org/featured/2004nov/stu_engine_detail.jpg

or

2) perpendicular to the line of the bike right behind the steering head.  You need a fixed mounting point to the frame and another on the triple clamps.
http://www.desmoworks.com/images/KIT140-bitubo-696-3.jpg

Type 'monster steering damper' into google images.  The one I sent you a pic of may be too big but I grew up on air cooled VWs, know them well, and they cost only $30.  The other ones I pictured here are in the $300-500 range.  Ducati bling costs money. ;)

I like application 1 because you've got more space to work with.  You don't need a tiny, purpose built one.  It would be great if you could tuck it under the tank (semi-hidden) and mount to the frame tube and lower triple but I don't know if you'd have the space AND it would live right over the hot cylinder head.  Probably not ideal.

Mounting to the triple or upper fork leg is best.  You can mount to the lower fork leg a la sidecar but then it moves when the suspension moves, not ideal.

Scott
« Last Edit: July 31, 2010, 12:36:39 am by Ducati Scotty »

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #145 on: July 31, 2010, 01:49:00 am
Yea,opion one is along the lines of what I was thinking.No access under the tank or the upper leg wthout cutting the shroud. No real surface area at or under the lower tree.Thats why I was thinking of extending down a mount off the blinker studs.The only frame member available is the front down tube.
 Th old V-dub damper is a good idea, but I'll probably need a universal damper with a double pivot, and the ability to adjust damping force.Dennis kirk sells them,be about 2 bills for damper and clamp. Question is what size damper, what size stroke? Gotta do some figure'in.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #146 on: July 31, 2010, 05:11:01 am
Stroke you can measure, just look at where you're mounting it and wiggle the bars, see what you need.

But wait...

Stopped by the dealer and he's been stewing ever since I was there last about this wiggly feeling the C5 has.  He made a really good observation.  The engine is a stressed member of the frame.  At the front it's bolted with two heavy plates but just one large bolt that holds it to the downtube.  At the rear it bolts to a subframe.  That subframe bolts to the engine at the bottom and then the engine and the forward subframe at the top through two rather thing gauge plates.  The swingarm bolts to the rear subframe.  The top tube is a single tube affair.  So single downtube, single top tube,  Flexy at best.  No cradle tubes under the engine since that is the engine in this case.  Then the rear subframe is bolted to the front main frame, the engine, and the swingarm.  Put all that felxy metal, thin gauge rear engine mounting plates, two subframes that bolt together, and all the bolt points hold the entire thing together...

No wonder it flexes! 

So two ideas.
1) A reinforcing bar that goes from the top rear engine mount to the large front downtube bolt.  One or two but even one should really stifffen it up.
or...
2) A reinforcing cage that goes from the two lower rear engine mounts under the engine to the large front bolt on the downtube.  Could look like or be integrate into a skid plate.

Either way you're significantly stiffening the frame.  idea 1 would be fairly easy to cobble together and install on the non oil fill side.  Option 2 a little more involved.  I think the root problem is a wiggly front end from thin fork tubes, wimpy triples, and short trail but a flexy frame like that just amplifies it once you get a little oscillation going. 

Got to thank Justin for thinking of all this.  Thoughts?

Oh and took a long, fast spin on the same C5 but now with almost 1000 miles instead of 700.  Totally different engine!  Revs more freely, shudders less when it gets to its limit, smoother, all around different and better.  We started talking and I think I'll be taking this bike home tomorrow.

Scott

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #147 on: July 31, 2010, 07:10:22 am
Yup, I see it. GOOD JOB!!, give Justin my regards.Ya Know, I just ordered the fricken damper and clamp :'( It's cool though,I'll put it to good use.Got it from a place on your side of the continent. Speed Moto there called, in Eugene OR. Think you could run over tomarrow with the new C-5 and pick it up for me? :D
 Now into the nitty-gritty. Your option one is at the engine mount behind the starter,correct? And you would run the bar in the area between the engine side covers and the base of the cylinder head,right?
 Op ion two I Iike, but maybe both could be incorporated with less work then the cage alone. Instead of a cage design below the engine,attached at the lower rear engine mount. Perhaps,like on top,bars could be ran from the side stand bolt mounts,just ahead of were the lower rear engine mounts are.
 Take a look tomarrow,only after you spend a long enjoyable day on you new ride.
 Good luck and enjoy!!!
Dan.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #148 on: July 31, 2010, 04:42:48 pm
Yeah, needs pics to get the point.  I'll try to put some up in the next few days.

And don't worry, steering stabilizers look cool and I want to have something cooler than the current options when I get around to mounting a sidecar.

SpeedyMoto, good cats.  Lots of people I know buying their goodies for Monsters.

Scott

SSR

• Grease Monkey
Reply #149 on: July 31, 2010, 05:15:36 pm
@Ducati- I am loving your 2nd idea. You just put words to my thoughts.  ;D

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #150 on: July 31, 2010, 05:53:47 pm
How about something like this? But extended down further to the lower fender mounts? Maybe a cross brace at the top of the arches? done in 1/2" bar? If done right, it could almost look like a fender stay. Whats the math on something like that look like scotty?

Where's the picture?
Anyhoo- a brace like this was hugely populr on 70's era BMW's.  I forgot the name of the maker, but I think they stopped making them.  Anyway,San Jose BMW (South of San Francisco) does a LOT of raciong research.  I recommend you contact them and get their advice.   
Peronally- I vote for the fork brace.  Steering dampers are more to prevent full-on tank slappers.
Run what ya brung

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #151 on: July 31, 2010, 06:29:43 pm
Thanks for the input Uncle.I'll check them out. I found it on a google image search of fork braces, way deep into it. That particular one I think was for a Japanese Bike. I did see the BMW ones though.With the Damper, that's what I'm trying to prevent. As speed increases, it's getting to that point. I'm not yet convinced or sure about the front end.I believe it's the same one that's on the G-5, and earlier models. Not sure though. It could be this front end ,combined with this new frame.
Dan.

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #152 on: August 04, 2010, 02:50:43 am
Oh, by the way,if you do this mod, don't forget to readjust you head light down. ::) Had cars pulling over, and waving me past tonight. :D

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #153 on: August 31, 2010, 01:25:37 am
 This thread was clouded by the recently found instability issue found at the rear end of my bike. After running the bike with the problem resolved, In my opinion, GET ONE ,YOU WILL LOVE IT!!!!, at least I do. It's the best upgrade for the money you could do for your C-5. If you like the sharper slow speed handleing of the eighteen, then don't get it. But I think the ninteen is a better all around handler.
Dan.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 04:18:38 am by gashousegorilla »

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #154 on: August 31, 2010, 04:23:02 pm
This thread was clouded by the recently found instability issue found at the rear end of my bike. After running the bike with the problem resolved, In my opinion, GET ONE ,YOU WILL LOVE IT!!!!, at least I do. It's the best upgrade for the money you could do for your C-5. If you like the sharper slow speed handleing of the eighteen, then don't get it. But I think the ninteen is a better all around handler.
Dan.

I'm there with you on this one .... that wheel change and the addition of the 560538 handlebars makes one COMFY ridin' machine ..... I could sit on it ALL day and just go!

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #155 on: September 08, 2010, 05:48:51 pm

Negatives:
Center stand. Not a biggy at all,but it is more difficult to get the bike on and off the center stand.

Another correction after repair. With the correct tire pressure,for me, Center stand is not an issue. A little less clearence under the back wheel now, but on and off the stand, no problem.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #156 on: September 08, 2010, 06:00:24 pm
When do we get pics of your super cool steering stabilizer install?

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #157 on: September 08, 2010, 06:27:11 pm
When do we get pics of your super cool steering stabilizer install?
Well scotty my friend, I got pics of the stabilizer and the cage, both of which are off the bike. And as YOU know, did not correct the problem I had. To be honest, I would rather not post anymore pics of the modifications I did, prior to finding the problem. Given the thread the other day Questioning "All the tweeks that must be done to make the c-5 stable", I really don't want people to look halfway into a thread and take things out of context. Scotty, with all your deep envolvement and help, I will send them to you if you like. PM me you email address, or tell me how i can send them through a PM.
 Dan.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #158 on: September 08, 2010, 08:36:17 pm
Yes, good to stop any misinformation. 

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #159 on: September 08, 2010, 09:23:20 pm
By GAWD! If there is any misinformation around here - I'LL pass it along!! Er, ah ...... what is it we were talking about again?  ::) Heeheehee! (Sorry boys - HAD to .... )

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #160 on: May 20, 2011, 04:32:04 am
GHG,
What size tire did you put in the front?  Is that a 90/90-19?  My apologies if I missed that in another post.

Did you retain the stock size rear tire?

GSS
2022 Continental GT 650 Dux Deluxe
2019 Himalayan Snow
2019 Interceptor 650 - Chrome...off the first boat!
Previous REs:
2021 Meteor 350 Supernova Blue
2014 Continental GT 535 - Red...lowest VIN off the first boat!
2010 Classic 500 - Teal Chrome

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #161 on: May 20, 2011, 04:00:02 pm
GHG,
What size tire did you put in the front?  Is that a 90/90-19?  My apologies if I missed that in another post.

Did you retain the stock size rear tire?

GSS
Yes  and Yes.... The Avon road rider 90/90/19 fit perfect under the front fender. No clearance issues. Just make sure that the fender and stays are adjusted correctly. You know, like they should be. With no rubbing on the fork shrouds, nice and straight etc.

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #162 on: May 21, 2011, 02:47:53 am
GHG,
Thanks for your prompt reply. I haven't had any stability issues, but do like the looks of the 19 inch wheel as well as the potential for improved handling. I did have to adjust the front fender stays the day I got my bike....it was off kilter and scraping a shock.

Has anyone measured how much the rake angle changes with the larger wheel? I am tempted to put on a larger rear as in the IDM C5, but that will likely negate some of the rake improvement up front.
GSS
2019 Himalayan Snow
Previous REs:

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #163 on: May 21, 2011, 03:44:44 am
 I love the look GSS, It improves the over all appearance.... but that's subjective. See page 8 of this thread. And ScooterBob has a pix of his as well  here:

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,6128.0.html

I have not measured the new rake angle, but your talking a I'' difference, couple Degree rake difference? Interesting idea about going 19" rear....? It would probably fit?  Might look Cool.

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #164 on: May 21, 2011, 04:17:14 am
Your 90/90-19  = 25.5" is closer in diameter to the stock rear 110/80-18 =25.2" and sure looks great.  The OEM front 90/90-18 =24.4" does seem a bit puny for a Bullet.

The Indian Classic 500 (US C5) does seem to look a bit more robust with a 120/80-18 =25.7" rear as OEM.
2019 Himalayan Snow
Previous REs:

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #165 on: May 21, 2011, 04:47:07 am
Your 90/90-19  = 25.5" is closer in diameter to the stock rear 110/80-18 =25.2" and sure looks great.  The OEM front 90/90-18 =24.4" does seem a bit puny for a Bullet.

The Indian Classic 500 (US C5) does seem to look a bit more robust with a 120/80-18 =25.7" rear as OEM.
And that rear tire their using WOULD have a larger contact patch ;)  I wonder if they went to a wider rear Rim ? You could probably put a 120 on ours  with out a problem.
I have looked at mine and there looked like plenty of room. Do you know what brand tire they are using?

Yeah it looks like a 120 would fit on the rear rim.
http://www.dropbears.com/u/utilities/tyrerim.htm
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 05:45:13 am by gashousegorilla »

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #166 on: May 21, 2011, 06:48:07 pm
Tires are MRF Zappers, an Indian brand. Here are some photographs, posted I am guessing by SSR.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/73998-royal-enfield-500-classic-4100-km-ownership-review-48.html
2019 Himalayan Snow
Previous REs: