Author Topic: Little lights Above Headlight.  (Read 5351 times)

Drifter

• Scooter
on: June 25, 2010, 06:54:22 pm
I asked my dealer what they are for and he did not know, so im hoping someone on here can answer the question. Im guessing they are due to some law in India or England. They are cool no matter the reason!

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #1 on: June 25, 2010, 08:15:48 pm
Back in the day I think they were turn signals...

Those bulbs tend to burn out frequently..  I have replaced mine with LEDs, they don't burn out and you can change up the color to taste.
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #2 on: June 25, 2010, 08:30:40 pm
Hmmm...I doubt they were ever turn signals. Such things never appeared here (UK) on motorbikes until Honda in the sixties - and much derisory amusement were they initially greeted with!  
I rather think they were simply the equivalent of sidelights on a car - largely pointless, and even more so on a six volt system. But they do look very cool in that retro way, don't they.

By the way Gary, I like the sound of those LEDs. Are they easy to find?
« Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 08:35:34 pm by WillW »
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

mbevo1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Mike and Stumpy
Reply #3 on: June 25, 2010, 08:45:34 pm
superbrightleds.com...

Here's the listed posted by Grommit last year... prices might be a bit higher now...
Bulb, 1157, white (tail and brake), 1157-W24, $12.99
Bulb, 67, amber (L/F turn signal), 67-A15, $4.95
Bulb, 67, amber (L/R turn signal), 67-A15, $4.95
Bulb, 67, amber (R/F turn signal), 67-A15, $4.95
Bulb, 67, amber (R/R turn signal), 67-A15, $4.95
Bulb, BA9s, super blue (high beam indicator), A9s-B4, $2.98
Bulb, BA9s, super green (neutral indicator), BA9S-G4, $2.98
Bulb, BA9s, super green (turn signal indicator), BA9S-G4,  $2.98
Bulb, BA9s, super white (right pilot lamp), BA9S-W4, $2.98
Bulb, BA9s, super white (left pilot lamp), BA9S-W4, $2.98
Bulb, BA9s, super white (ammeter), BA9S-W4, $2.98
Bulb, BA7s, white (speedometer), BA7S-W, $1.49
LED (or incandescent) Bulb Flasher Unit, CF12ANL-01, $12.95

This list is for the Classic setup - can't tell you what applies for the UCE versions...  I did my instrument and "pilot" lights and couldn't be happier... very low drain on the battery and very bright... super bright, even... ;)

Mike and Stumpy in Michigan
'07 Classic - Stumpy
'10 C5 Military - Sherman

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: June 25, 2010, 10:08:47 pm
Nice one Mike & Stumpy - thanks for that   :)

ES-335

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: June 25, 2010, 10:33:07 pm
jep, 2 burned bulbs right and 1 left one. But their light is really nice when it is dark. Kind of stage light for something special.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #6 on: June 25, 2010, 11:50:34 pm
Pilot lamps, parking lamps or pub lamps take your pick.

They function like the parking lamps on automobiles giving enough light to maneuver at near idle speeds with out waking or annoying the neighbors like full on headlamps.

No matter where you go, there, you are.

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: June 26, 2010, 08:16:37 am
""giving enough light to maneuver at near idle speeds with out waking or annoying the neighbors ""

hmmm...these'd be those deaf neighbours I guess.... ;)

enfield freddy

• Grand Gearhead
  • old man riding an old bike
Reply #8 on: June 26, 2010, 08:40:37 am
back in the old day in the UK , any vehicle parked at night in a built up area , had to show a light at the back and one at the front , cars used to use a clip on light (white/red) trapped under a closed drivers window , hell even the early 1950s bsa bantam with a mag genny and no battery was not excempt , they had a small lantern battery in the headlamp ,
arthritis hurts at my age!

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: June 26, 2010, 11:39:18 am
""giving enough light to maneuver at near idle speeds with out waking or annoying the neighbors ""

hmmm...these'd be those deaf neighbours I guess.... ;)

I'd be that deaf neighbor with all the crotch rockets ,Harleys and not fast but sounds furious type cars in my neighborhood.

A much more entertaining reason for hearing loss than exposure to turbine engines isn't it ?    ;D

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: June 26, 2010, 12:07:17 pm
Re the hearing loss - I'd have to agree, although my tinnitus is down to too much loud music and running a woodshop without ear defenders for too long. Dumb when young.
And my neighbours, when I had neighbours before I washed up in this quiet backwater, all knew to bring their kids indoors when I was outside mending cars & bikes.  :o   (I just don't know where little Jimmy learns such filthy words....)
Life with my Electra is far more civilised. Haven't even opened the socket box   :D

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #11 on: June 26, 2010, 02:33:16 pm
back in the old day in the UK , any vehicle parked at night in a built up area , had to show a light at the back and one at the front , cars used to use a clip on light (white/red) trapped under a closed drivers window , hell even the early 1950s bsa bantam with a mag genny and no battery was not excempt , they had a small lantern battery in the headlamp ,

This must be the reason why modern bike ignition key switches have that one little notch past locking the bars.  Inevitably, this gets turned to by accident without the operator realizing it and the head and tail lights drain the battery while you are away.  I've known so many people this has happened to.

Scott

Drifter

• Scooter
Reply #12 on: June 27, 2010, 01:46:33 pm
Freddy, do you have any idea why they would pass such a law? I would think come morning there would be lots of dead batterys ....... ???

JesterNT

• Scooter
  • Maintenance is as much art as it is science.
Reply #13 on: June 29, 2010, 09:33:40 pm
I converted my C5 to all LED’s form superbrightleds-dot-com.  Overall I have to say I love the difference, but I will add 2 words of caution.  I bought the “BA15 30 High Power LED Spider Light” ($20) for the rear tail light.  I looked great!! But it doesn’t stand up to the vibration well.  The soldering that connects the base broke, so I redid it only to have the circuitry in the LED driver start to flake out.  I won’t say the bulb is a total POS but it doesn’t like to be shaken around. Ultimately I wound up filing the entire internal cavity of the bulb with hot glue and it’s worked ever since.  Also if you convert your turn signals to LED you need the LED flasher unit FL2-RED.  The C5 turn signal wire connector –L- fits, but its reversed.  I had to use a pin extraction tool to reverse the 2 wires in the connector.  You could cut and cross the wires to if you wanted a quick fix.   
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: June 30, 2010, 12:12:46 am
I converted my C5 to all LED’s form superbrightleds-dot-com.  Overall I have to say I love the difference, but I will add 2 words of caution.  I bought the “BA15 30 High Power LED Spider Light” ($20) for the rear tail light.  I looked great!! But it doesn’t stand up to the vibration well.  The soldering that connects the base broke, so I redid it only to have the circuitry in the LED driver start to flake out.  I won’t say the bulb is a total POS but it doesn’t like to be shaken around. Ultimately I wound up filing the entire internal cavity of the bulb with hot glue and it’s worked ever since.  Also if you convert your turn signals to LED you need the LED flasher unit FL2-RED.  The C5 turn signal wire connector –L- fits, but its reversed.  I had to use a pin extraction tool to reverse the 2 wires in the connector.  You could cut and cross the wires to if you wanted a quick fix.   

Thanks Br. JesterNT