Author Topic: gas mileage  (Read 9952 times)

birdmove

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: January 01, 2008, 03:53:04 am
  Thanks for the tips Foggy. Whats strange is it does'n't seem to do it when I first take off after a cold start.Once warmed up it starts it.
    jon
Jon in Keaau, Hawaii

C.C.

• Scooter
  • 1960 Bullet
Reply #16 on: January 01, 2008, 07:02:30 am
    Yeah, I'm trying to work out a throttle problem also. The rpm tends to hang up when I shift.

Jon

Jon,

Your idle (pilot) circuit is to rich. You need to adjust the air mixture screw counter clockwise to lean it out and then re-adjust the idle screw to set the correct idle speed. Make sure you warm the engine up fully before you start to tune the carb.

Chris
2006 Bullet Sixty 5
Member: Royal Enfield Association #11

birdmove

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: January 01, 2008, 08:15:47 am
    You might be right there, Chris.When I start this thing up cold, I can literally open the choke right away, and it will stay running.I haven't got my manual yet.The idle adjust screw is the big knurled screw on the left side. Wheres the air mixture screw?

jon
Jon in Keaau, Hawaii

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...._[:]@==<
Reply #18 on: January 01, 2008, 01:56:34 pm
The idle air screw is the single brass slotted 'screw' to the right of the large idle adjuster nearly flush with the body of the carb. Two to two and a half turns out from fully closed (ie wound in clockwise) is about right.
You do need to get the bike warm first before altering all these settings and don't be worried if your bike likes to be 1.8 turns out or three turns etc. They are very individual so no hard and fast rule. Little turns/tweeks on the screw are the order of the day though to fine tune it. Great handfuls of 1/4 turns etc on that screw make huge differences!!!!
« Last Edit: January 02, 2008, 11:35:24 pm by LotusSevenMan »
If it ain't broke-------------------------- fix it 'till it is!

Royal Enfield Miltary 500cc  (2003)
Honda VTR FireStorm (SuperHawk) 996cc 'V' twin
Kawasaki KR1 250cc twin 'stroker
Ducati 916 'L' twin

Foggy_Auggie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: January 01, 2008, 07:12:29 pm
And be gentle on seating the pilot screw when re-adjusting - it's brass.

Regards, Foggy
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Fortiter Et Fideliter