Author Topic: Rust!  (Read 1173 times)

stickyfox

• Scooter
on: June 24, 2010, 07:06:16 pm
I finally got my '01 classic out of storage, into the kitchen where it belongs, and in pieces all over my table. Obviously I'm a bachelor.

I have some questions about rust, of which this bike has a severe case. I was able to find a replacement tank, which was the only part functionally affected. Now, however, I find that the conspicuous lack of rust on the tank draws attention to the rims, fenders, chain guard, pedals, headlight bezel, and shocks.

The amount of rust is pretty tolerable. I think the chain guard is the worst. It's mostly 1/16" and smaller buckshot with very few solid areas of rust.

Oddly, the exhaust has very little rust on it. I have had my share of adventures with acid, naval jelly, brill-o, and other remedies, but I suspect some of these parts are so cheap that trying to clean them up is not even practical.

So basically, I guess what I am asking is, of all the chrome parts on the Bullet, which ones are cheap enough to just toss and replace, and which ones do you know fantastic home remedies for? I am not above brushing/sandblasting/painting either. I have not yet taken the forks apart to see if they are pitted.

Lahti35

• Currently Enfield-less!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • The Department of Redundancy Deptartment.
Reply #1 on: June 24, 2010, 07:38:53 pm
I've been told you can use balled up alum foil on chrome and it works wonders..... but i've also been told Elvis never died and was captured by aliens, forced to perform "poke salad anne" while eating fried peanut butter and bannana sandwiches.

Let me know if it works!
'03 Ex-Electric start 500....gone but not forgotten...

I'm a fuel injected suicide machine. I am the rocker, I am the roller, I am the out-of-controller!

Rick Sperko

• Grand Gearhead
  • Milwaukee, WI
Reply #2 on: June 24, 2010, 07:46:21 pm
I've been told you can use balled up alum foil on chrome and it works wonders..... but i've also been told Elvis never died and was captured by aliens, forced to perform "poke salad anne" while eating fried peanut butter and bannana sandwiches.

Let me know if it works!

On a completely non-rust but Elvis related topic, check you the movie "Bubba Ho-Tep".  Now I will let someone who is helpful post.

-Rick
Rick in Milwaukee, WI

'06 RE Bullet Classic Iron
'63 VW Beetle Ragtop (also classic)
'66 Chris Craft Cavalier Cutlass 26'
'02 BMW R1150R

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Looking for the next rebuild project....
Reply #3 on: June 24, 2010, 09:49:43 pm
  For chrome fine steel wool does great.  Just don't use an sos pad (soap scratches like you wouldn't believe when combined with steel wool).  For rust on paint it's a crap shoot if anything really works.  I've had limited success with white vinegar..just have to wash it off and dry the area a lot or else paint comes with.  Of course you will still have the pock marks..but hey chicks dig scars on bikes too.
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Kawasaki Drifter 1500
2000 Victory V92SC
1976 Suzuki GT185 Rebuilder Special..AKA (Junkyard Dog)
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
Reply #4 on: June 24, 2010, 10:09:40 pm
none of my rust has been that bad but I've had good success using
Brasso on the chrome. easy to use with very little elbow grease required.
               - Mike
'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #5 on: June 25, 2010, 01:28:47 am

Let me know if it works!

A hundred thousand "Buy Here, P(r)ay Here" used car lots can't all be wrong! This is one of my old favourites! Reynolds Wrap = Rechromed!! Hahaha!
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

single

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: June 25, 2010, 04:12:58 am
Well,you can clean up the chrome somewhat as stated.The painted items,if the pits are deep,can be filled with a coat of auto body filler.Or you can do a permanent repair with Chassis Black.Use a coarse grit to ruff up the surface,apply a THIN coat followed by another THIN coat when the 1st is tacky.This will fill in the pits,most likely.If not the 3rd coat will.Sand this smooth and apply acrylic enamel.You cannot skip this as the sun will destroy the appearance of Chassis Black.But the rust will be history,and it will not rust again,probly ever.

georghammond

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: June 25, 2010, 09:03:36 pm
Probably not what you want to use on chrome, but you could use POR-15 for areas of rust that are painted. I've used that for my 84 4runner and Chinook. Seems to have worked pretty well so far.

trees

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: June 25, 2010, 10:27:01 pm
I have used alum foil on chrome. Works fine on the little spots. Depends how much rust you have though.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #9 on: June 25, 2010, 11:19:19 pm
 Riding year round in the pacific northwest ( and sometimes upside down in the mud ) has made corrosion control and prevention a subject near and dear to my hart.

On my shelf :
Ospho, KG GunKote, Never seize, Krylon, Exo Rust, LPS corrosion inhibitors, liquid electrical tape, dielectric grease, good stuff sealant, WD-40,Windex (with ammonia) NuFinish, Turtle wax, Mothers, Rubberized undercoating, Aluminum foil,  #0000 to #0 steel wool, nylon /brass /stainless bristle brushes and "Elbow Grease"

No matter where you go, there, you are.

Lahti35

• Currently Enfield-less!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • The Department of Redundancy Deptartment.
Reply #10 on: June 26, 2010, 12:54:07 am
On a completely non-rust but Elvis related topic, check you the movie "Bubba Ho-Tep".  Now I will let someone who is helpful post.

-Rick

Bubba Ho-Tep! Cult favorite for sure. Bruce does a good aged King :D
'03 Ex-Electric start 500....gone but not forgotten...

I'm a fuel injected suicide machine. I am the rocker, I am the roller, I am the out-of-controller!

RBHoge

• Old Bill
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #11 on: July 14, 2010, 11:12:31 pm
none of my rust has been that bad but I've had good success using
Brasso on the chrome. easy to use with very little elbow grease required.
               - Mike

OH ! Lord !  I have hated the smell of Brasso ever since 1971 and Fort Bragg, North Carolina.  >:( Another thing that works to clean rust out of "pits" is a #2 pencil  :o  the eraser can scratch things,  if used too vigorously. but the sharpened point can dig rust out of a pit without marring the finish around it.  8)  This method also works great on firearms. ::)
1972 Honda CB 450 Rufus, Murdered
1978 Triumph T-140 E, Sadly gone
2008 Royal Enfield Deluxe Iron head, " Old Bill"
1971 Honda CB-100,"Kikuchiyo"-traded
O Day 20 Sailboat "Tempus Fugative"
1992 Mazda Miata "Lady Murisaki"250,00miles!
Too many Toys, what else is retirement for?