Author Topic: New Bulletmeister here  (Read 11278 times)

prof_stack

Reply #15 on: December 28, 2007, 03:24:11 am
     Abe, be sure and ask him to take out the silver Classic for a test ride (assuming there's no snow). I almost bought that one as I also liked the silver very much, and that bike ran and shifted really well.He also has a used 2006 Elektra with the lean burn engine with about 400 miles and some monthes left on the warranty-if you'd prefer the newer engine.  He did have a black Classic in stock and two 65s.The red 65 is a great looking bike too. He is having a nice sale through Jan 2nd-14% off which makes the price much more attractive on his leftover bikes.Mine is an '07 and I got it for the sale price.Let us know how it all turns out.Vince is a great dealer and certainly among the best in the country consistently.  Good luck, Jon
Abe, you might be looking at the Classic I almost bought in August.  Vince is a great dealer to be in the RE fold.  He rides a Military RE to work.  I'm still on the fence but thinking by Spring or Summer I'll jump, if not SOONER!  Tell Vince that Norm and Jon sent ya.   :D

dash8

• Scooter
Reply #16 on: December 28, 2007, 08:49:33 am
congrates on your bullet I 'm happy to find out I'm not the only bullet owner here in washington. I purchased mine used from a friend who was retiring from work and had to many bikes. I all ways admired the bike and never regretted the purchase. Seems like us 50 year olds are the ones who appreciate these fine machines the most because it gives us the opportunity to ride at a relaxed pace. Happy New Year

VMAX

• Grease Monkey
Reply #17 on: December 28, 2007, 08:12:01 pm
Jon:

VMAX here. Welcome to the family. I run a 05 Classic 500 ES w/sidecar, in British Racing Green. Too much snow in NW WI right now for me!   :P   Counting the days until spring gets here.  ;)  Have some pics in the gallery.  8)

Todd & Bernadine
Ride Safe - Check 6 - REA #9
05' RE 500 Classic Bullet ES w/Cozy Bullet
Liberator Motorcycle Ministry

birdmove

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: January 01, 2008, 05:48:11 am
   Well, went on a ride tonight about 9:00.My neutral indicator light had gone out the day after I bought the Classic. Darned if it didn't start working tonight! Still have a throttle/rpm hanging up problem. Oddly, it doesn't do it when cold. I can ride off after a few minutes warm up time and it works fine.After maybe a mile or two the throttle starts acting up. The intake boots look okay,the intake manifold allen heads aren't loose, and it looks like the gasket or gaskets are okay.When I shut the engine off and roll on the throttle and let go, it snaps shut and it sounds like the piston bottoms okay.It looks like the tank may have to come off to further check cable routing etc.I may just wait until I take it in for the first service and let them check into it.

jon
Jon in Keaau, Hawaii

stipa

• Grease Monkey
Reply #19 on: January 01, 2008, 07:13:26 am
Jon,,, sounds like your throttle cable is binding someplace.  Pull the tank and check. 
I had this problem for a bit (intermittently), when I first got the bike.  Broke a couple of the OEM cables, (and the soldered "barrel" that slips into the rotor).  Get one of the heavy duty, American made ones that Classic sells, or go by Gonzales in Tacoma and see if he'll make one up for you. 
When changing out one of the broken ones, I pulled the throttle completely free of routing it through the 'caskette,' and that pretty much cleared that one up.
(A few too many cables and wires stuffed in that thing altogether). 
One way to determine if binding in the caskette is the problem;  start the bike,  idling, and move the steering head from hard over to hard over.  If it binds, it should speed up slightly, hang there even. 
I'm considering removing the caskette altogether, going with a more custom look.  And better engineered.
Pull that bulb out and you'll see what I mean. 

Break that thing in and we'll run up to Ashford someday soon. 

Steve J.  (Also in Puyallup)

Foggy_Auggie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: January 01, 2008, 07:07:04 pm
My neutral indicator light had gone out the day after I bought the Classic. Darned if it didn't start working tonight!
    jon

That light is so dim and small it can't be seen in daylight.  It shows up at night.

Regards, Foggy
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Fortiter Et Fideliter

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...._[:]@==<
Reply #21 on: January 02, 2008, 09:45:43 pm
I'm just going to try some of these in the indicator light and the speedo illumination & the wide angle version in the side/travelling lights to see if it helps.

http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/uba96w-leds-white-bulb-volt-p-812.html
If it ain't broke-------------------------- fix it 'till it is!

Royal Enfield Miltary 500cc  (2003)
Honda VTR FireStorm (SuperHawk) 996cc 'V' twin
Kawasaki KR1 250cc twin 'stroker
Ducati 916 'L' twin

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
Reply #22 on: January 02, 2008, 10:42:16 pm
I'm just going to try some of these in the indicator light and the speedo illumination & the wide angle version in the side/travelling lights to see if it helps.
http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/uba96w-leds-white-bulb-volt-p-812.html
Good idea...   LET us know. I've got one of the 36 LED w/side lights for the
tail replacing the 1157. A LOT  brighter and braking does not cause the
amp meter to veer to the left. As far as the turns I don't expect
people to see them any way....(I'm  invisible!!)
- Mike
'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill

jonapplegate

• Grand Gearhead
  • you stand tall when you stoop to help
Reply #23 on: January 03, 2008, 04:50:50 am
 Well done! You will be happy. The brakes will get better to the point they can be a bit grabby. Everything will get better. Remember to check your speedo against something reliable so you can adjust your breakin speeds accordingly.

jonapplegate

• Grand Gearhead
  • you stand tall when you stoop to help
Reply #24 on: January 05, 2008, 06:32:54 am
 I sure liked that red 65 at Vince's with the solo seat and the Amal carb. I really like my black deluxe but that sixty-five in red/burgundy almost seduced me.

birdmove

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: January 05, 2008, 06:57:30 am
    Yeah, Jon, that bike is a beauty! I had a hard time deciding on which bike to get.But I had also always really admired the 500 Classics in the British racing green.Also really liked the silver Classic though.But the green Classic won out.

Jon in Puyallup
Jon in Keaau, Hawaii

prof_stack

Reply #26 on: January 05, 2008, 02:54:06 pm
Another Vince disciple here.  The red Sixty-5 is the one I test rode last August and it really was a nice one.  Decent shifting, but the drum brake was too new to be effective.  Oh yeah, that was the RE that introduced me to wet sumping when it started and blue oil smoke for a couple of minutes.

[old attachment deleted by admin]

DaveG297

• Bulleteer
Reply #27 on: January 06, 2008, 05:20:34 pm
"Hey Bird man, your about to learn a  whole lot about Enfields.   Hope you get the cd from Sidel as its full of good stuff.    Lots of little things will pop up but thats the fun of owning a Bullet.   I bet you got lots of good riding roads up your way and with the price of gas, well the Bullet won't shock you.  Remember, breakin is everything.....dg