Author Topic: She is a jealous bike  (Read 3049 times)

Rick Sperko

• Grand Gearhead
  • Milwaukee, WI
on: June 24, 2010, 05:30:55 am
Damn beemer blew out its brakes yesterday on the freeway, eight caliper pistons on two discs not wanting to let go. So tomorrow I am going to ride my Bullet into work. I realized I have not sat on it in a few weeks (one of which I was out of town). I suddenly felt guilty. I kick started it, and it started on the second kick, ton of white smoke, ugly smell, then it died. Then the kickstarter would not grab, I could not kick it at all, I have suspected my kick start prawl going, but I have never had it kick through repeatedly like this. Fall back to the button and it started right up.

Told my son I was going around the block, I rode all over. I didn't want to come home, at least not for a while. Had a great ride. It sure feels different from the beemer, better and worse.

So, I am admitting that I have been neglecting my poor bullet, and she let me know she is not happy when I do that. Now I need to dig back into that gear box and fix the prawl and figure out my fifth gear problem.

Just figured I would share,
-Rick
« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 03:32:32 pm by Rick Sperko »
Rick in Milwaukee, WI

'06 RE Bullet Classic Iron
'63 VW Beetle Ragtop (also classic)
'66 Chris Craft Cavalier Cutlass 26'
'02 BMW R1150R

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Looking for the next rebuild project....
Reply #1 on: June 24, 2010, 10:04:22 pm
  Oh no, I may be in for the same fate.  Have to go and roll her over to make her know I still care.  Hopefully the gremlin is in southern Wisconsin.
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Kawasaki Drifter 1500
2000 Victory V92SC
1976 Suzuki GT185 Rebuilder Special..AKA (Junkyard Dog)
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #2 on: June 25, 2010, 01:34:05 am
WHO do you think cursed the Bavarian Manure Wagon? It was the ENFIELD!! My Enfield has thrown the Ooley-Kadooley at my Doo-Katty, My Norton and my Victrola, causing "no-ride" failures on each 'til I had the good graces to get the it (the Enfield) out and about and apply a little polish and token part or two to prove that I still knew HOW to make her happy .... Now I mostly ride the Enfield .... I've learned!! (BTW - the Manure Wagon is what the Enfield thinks of the BMW .... I know THIS, too - I got one that has ALSO been cursed .... !)  ;)
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #3 on: June 25, 2010, 02:23:15 am
I think I'm safe, I got rid of all my inferior bikes so the Enfield has the garage to herself.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

Bullet.wagon

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: June 25, 2010, 03:10:32 am
I keep my Kawa at another location just in case the other two gang up on her.
2005 RE Military
2000 RE 350

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: June 25, 2010, 03:50:17 am
WHO do you think cursed the Bavarian Manure Wagon? It was the ENFIELD!! My Enfield has thrown the Ooley-Kadooley at my Doo-Katty, My Norton and my Victrola, causing "no-ride" failures on each 'til I had the good graces to get the it (the Enfield) out and about and apply a little polish and token part or two to prove that I still knew HOW to make her happy .... Now I mostly ride the Enfield .... I've learned!! (BTW - the Manure Wagon is what the Enfield thinks of the BMW .... I know THIS, too - I got one that has ALSO been cursed .... !)  ;)

Ah Das Bayerisch Mist Wagen..nichts ser gut, yah?
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Victory V92SC
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #6 on: June 25, 2010, 12:41:06 pm
I think I'm safe, I got rid of all my inferior bikes so the Enfield has the garage to herself.

This idea probably has merit ... Heeheehee!! I just have to have "bike mistresses" tho ....

"Meest VAH-gen" - too, too funny!!  ::)

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: June 25, 2010, 04:30:17 pm

"Meest VAH-gen" - too, too funny!!  ::)

While stationed in Germany my German counterparts would call it Das Süd Duetsche Mist Wagen.
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Victory V92SC
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #8 on: June 25, 2010, 05:28:10 pm

While stationed in Germany my German counterparts would call it Das Süd Duetsche Mist Wagen.

Oh GAWD - That's pretty funny ... ! "Regular" Germans don't think highly of their Brüders aus dem Süden, do they? Sorta like here in USA .... Heeheehee!!  ::)

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: June 26, 2010, 01:00:57 am
  Northern Germans had little use for the BMW car or bike.  Saw lots of older Zundapps and DKWs in impeccable condition.  CZs were more respected by the average German.  Never wanted to bring home a Benz or BMW since they were used as taxi cabs in Germany.  Just to commonplace.  I bought a used R65 in excellent shape for around 750 dollars from an older German guy and all my German friends would spit on the ground and say "scheisse BMV".  Guess that said it all.
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Victory V92SC
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #10 on: June 26, 2010, 04:22:12 pm
That's pretty much the impression that I got from a fellow from Germany that I used to hang out with. BMW's and Benz cars were the "Chevrolet's" of Germany - common indeed! There was a gal in my neighborhood who HAD a DKW car when I was growing up - that was one of the little heeps that turned me on to something different. The sound of that little three-cylinder two-stroke mill winding up between gears was glorious to me ..... Sadly - she stopped at a gas station to get a fill-up and the attendant thought she was kidding when she told him to dump a quart of oil int he tank ..... it ran about another ten miles as was toasted - and not worth the effort to repair at the time.  :'(

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: June 26, 2010, 04:33:11 pm
  After the iron curtain came down we were assaulted by Trabants.  Cardboard, fiber heaps that ran a 2 cylinder 2 stroker.  They were so bullet proof (as long as they didn't get hit by a truck) the average owner could redo the head gaskets in like 25 minutes on the road.  They cost somethin glike 700 new back in 1991.  Wish I had one now.  Top speed 60 with a backwind and like 75 mpg.  Sort of like an Enfield. ;D ;D ;D
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Victory V92SC
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #12 on: June 27, 2010, 03:44:11 pm
  After the iron curtain came down we were assaulted by Trabants.  Cardboard, fiber heaps that ran a 2 cylinder 2 stroker.  They were so bullet proof (as long as they didn't get hit by a truck) the average owner could redo the head gaskets in like 25 minutes on the road.  They cost somethin glike 700 new back in 1991.  Wish I had one now.  Top speed 60 with a backwind and like 75 mpg.  Sort of like an Enfield. ;D ;D ;D

That little heep appeals to me as well .... DIRT simple in every way and totally bomb-proof - even if the creature comforts are a bit lacking. As quite a few East Germans found out - it beat WALKING (if not by much! Haha!) The Dura-Plast bodies were some odd technology, too as I understand. As long as one DIDN'T get hit by a truck, they were forever and ever - amen. An interesting combination of wood chips, paper pulp and some SERIOUS glue, I think ... awesome .... !

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: June 27, 2010, 11:44:03 pm
  Paperboard shell covered by a plastic fiber compound sort of like primitive carbon fiber.  Saw one burn to the ground in like 5 minutes on the A6 bahn.  The young gals inside escaped the firey carnage after being clipped/flipped onto the side by a truck.

But loved the engine design best.  Two brass rings as head gaskets.  One drive belt.  Could probably dismantle the thing in an hour.  Simplicity at its best.
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Victory V92SC
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #14 on: June 28, 2010, 03:00:35 pm
I'll BET that was scary! - I saw a Corvette turn itself into a smoldering metal skeleton in about the same amount of time at the racetrack once - the driver barely had enough time to get unstrapped and out even WITH a fire suppression system on board. That was a "brown pants moment" indeed .....