Author Topic: Avon tire wear reversed  (Read 2339 times)

Rick O'Shea

• Grease Monkey
on: June 23, 2010, 03:28:56 am
Here's one to ponder, '04 Bullet, original Avon's, 4600 miles, rear tire has 1/2 plus tread left but the front tire is past the wear strips with the center grooves nearly gone. Pressure is good, balance is good, wheel is reasonably straight and I'm for sure not practicing stoppies on this bike! I've never, in all my years of motorcycling wore out a front tire before a rear; on the contrary it's usually two to one rear before front....any thoughts?
REA member #161 was riding a 2004 Sixty-5. Now riding a 2022 Interceptor

single

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: June 23, 2010, 03:38:50 am
That is a lot more wear than I see at 5300 mi.Kinda odd.Does the front brake drag?It sounds like a bad tire.

Rick O'Shea

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: June 23, 2010, 03:43:35 am
Front brakes good, Single. I ride in the mountains at a pretty good clip but I still think somethings wrong. Maybe bad compound?
REA member #161 was riding a 2004 Sixty-5. Now riding a 2022 Interceptor

single

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: June 23, 2010, 07:41:47 pm
Could be but how to tell.If the wear is even,probly oughta just try another tire.

c1skout

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: June 23, 2010, 10:21:39 pm
My stock front tire was wore out in  3000mi. The stock rear still looks good at over 9000. I replaced my front with a Dunlop K70 and it still looks good with around 6000mi on it.

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: June 23, 2010, 11:56:15 pm
Bernie tells me that if you reverse the tire so it rotates the opposite direction, it will accumulate used rubber off the road and renew itself. 
I'm dying to try it when my tire gets down far enough.
Run what ya brung

Blue Ridge Wheeltor

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: June 24, 2010, 12:33:01 am
Actually, on the Ural, because of the lean, the front will wear more on one side, so you reverse it and get more miles out of it. The Russian pusher, you can run until you see the 3rd set of cords.
REA #25
2008 Royal Enfield Deluxe (Blue)
2006 Ural Patrol
1978 BMW R 100s--SOLD--
1977 HD XLCR
1971 Triumph Bonneville

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #7 on: June 24, 2010, 06:35:19 pm
Same here, but I attribute it to the fact that I use the hell out of the front brake. My rear brake is still pretty much useless.
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: June 24, 2010, 06:53:27 pm
You have a rear brake?  How much did it cost?
Run what ya brung

mbevo1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Mike and Stumpy
Reply #9 on: June 24, 2010, 06:55:58 pm
Replaced my Speedmasters at 10.5K miles - and I probably coulda run the rear for a couple thousand more... put the same back on it.  Can't beat the mileage...

My rear brake is mostly a noisemaker - might be louder than the horn... ;)

Mike and Stumpy in Michigan
'07 Classic - Stumpy
'10 C5 Military - Sherman

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #10 on: July 01, 2010, 10:02:19 am
Replaced my Speedmasters at 10.5K miles - and I probably coulda run the rear for a couple thousand more... put the same back on it.  Can't beat the mileage...

My rear brake is mostly a noisemaker - might be louder than the horn... ;)

Louder than my valves ?  ;D
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 10:09:59 am by Ice »
No matter where you go, there, you are.

mbevo1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Mike and Stumpy
Reply #11 on: July 01, 2010, 01:58:26 pm
Louder than my valves ?  ;D

Maybe not... mine sound like the fast part of the drum solo in INAGADDAVIDA... I like it...;)

'07 Classic - Stumpy
'10 C5 Military - Sherman

GreenForce82

• Frank The TECH
  • Grease Monkey
  • The Dude Abides
Reply #12 on: July 02, 2010, 11:52:14 pm
here is a tire question for ya, how to preserve a tire? Off rim... my dad gave me his brand new never used stock front because he had the dealor replace the tires with something else from mile 1...

Any thoughts, any special compound to put on the tire to keep it from degrading?
"Counted his friends in burned-out spark plugs
and prays that he always will.

But he's the last of the blue blood greaser boys all of his mates are doing time:

Married with three kids up by the ring road
sold their souls straight down the line.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #13 on: July 04, 2010, 04:21:49 pm
Tres are stamped with the date of manufacture.  It's either a two or three digit code, you can look up how to read them on the web.

http://www.amadirectlink.com/roadride/Riderresc/tires.asp
http://www.ehow.com/how_4621263_read-tire-date-codes.html

(Older tires may use a single digit week, newer tires always have a leading 0')

Generally, I never buy a tire that's more than three years old.  The rubber starts to get hard and degrades quickly.  This means less mileage but more importantly, less traction.  Granted, I've owned mostly sport bikes that have more power in both the engine and the brakes than an Enfield but I think the same applies.

For instance: When I bought my Monster 800 it was used.  '03 leftover bought in '04 that I bought used in '07.  It had only 1800 miles on it and the original tires.  The rear had a small flat spot in the middle, the front 'looked' new.  The first ride I took was to get it home, about 1500 miles up the west coast on Route 1 & 101 from San Diego to Portland.  So it wasn't entirely straight and I wasn't screaming either, just a relaxed ride.  The tires were so hard and crumbly that by the time I got home I had a flat spot over 1" wide on the front tire.  The rear flat spot had also grown considerably.  Shortly after getting home I was working on the brakes and found I was easily able to lock the front brake and skid the front tire.  A Ducati Monster with a locked front brake should stand on its nose!  I knew I needed new tires but after that incident I bought them immediately. 

This bike was treated well, only had one owner, and she kept it in the garage.  The best way to preserve a tire is to store it in a cool dry environment, like her garage.  Since then I check the dates on all my tires before I buy them, never buy anything over three years old, and replace them every three years regardless of mileage.  The rubber really does degrade and you lose traction when it does.  Your bike is stuck to the road by two patches or rubber the size of credit cards.  This is not the place to be cheap.

If you want to mount real vintage tires for a show bike or something like that, I understand.  If you want to ride, spend some money on good rubber and do it often.  As to preserving a tire, is it really worth the savings?

Scott

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #14 on: July 04, 2010, 04:34:07 pm
 Uncle Sugar used to buy tires wrapped in vapor proof paper.
Now they come plastic wrapped. FWIW.
No matter where you go, there, you are.