Author Topic: Military Flat Finish Paint. How durable vs. Other models painted finishes?  (Read 2809 times)

Billy B.

• Scooter
 Hi Gang,
I need a little input at this point. Today I was headed to a dealership to decide between a Bullet Military and a Deluxe Classic. My question is this. The classic has the beautiful chrome and high gloss paint finish. The Military has the flat finish. How is the durability of the military paint  versus the paint and chrome finish???
Spilled fuel bumps and minor dings, are they more of a problem with the military? I am assuming that it is not practical to apply any type of wax to the flat paint? How about touch ups? Do they blend well or look like touch ups?
I would deeply appreciate any input on this. It is ready to drive me insane trying to figure this out.
Billy B.

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
The military paint is fine. you can wax it. The only times I see problems is when the cases are pressure washed. If you need to repaint the cases CMW has the color match. The trick is to acid etch the aluminum before painting. This is not as scary as it sounds. Get any white vinegar. Soak a rag and wipe down the cases. Rinse with water and dry. Then paint. Make sure the case and paint are warm( about 70 degrees).

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...._[:]@==<
Half the reason I bought a Military/Army was because the bike looked more original/utilitarian/older from new and I knew it could get touched up OK with a rattle can matching spray paint. I find that when you remove bolts etc (like the one holding the left side primary chain case on) or boot marks from the neutral finder on my rhs change Classic the paint can come off the chrome finish. A quick spray sorts that fine when all reassembled. Better than all that polishing and waxing a 'bare' bike engine etc etc IMHO.
If it ain't broke-------------------------- fix it 'till it is!

Royal Enfield Miltary 500cc  (2003)
Honda VTR FireStorm (SuperHawk) 996cc 'V' twin
Kawasaki KR1 250cc twin 'stroker
Ducati 916 'L' twin