Author Topic: Ok to do an exhaust and airbox on the UCE?  (Read 6089 times)

Sub

• Bob's Your Uncle
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2010 Black Bullet C5
on: June 19, 2010, 02:43:08 am
I'm wondering if the mapping can handle it. Has anyone installed a freer flowing intake an exhaust yet? Any difference in performance?

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #1 on: June 19, 2010, 03:46:08 am
Mapping will handle a free flowing exhaust easily, and it will boost performance a bit.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #2 on: June 19, 2010, 03:59:32 am
Generally there is a max limit on the fueling.  The O2 sensor reads lean or rich and adjusts but usually has a maximum it won't go past, figuring if you're running that rich something is wrong.  Just how EFI is usually set up. 

That said, I'd guess you can do an exhaust, RE already sells aftermarket exhausts.  There was one installed by Scooter Bob on the C5 that was reviewed recently and posted here. 

Someone here was going to try a cone K&N type filter on his C5.  The major concern is that the MAP sensor needs good clean laminar airflow to work well.  Short little cone air cleaners tend to be turbulent even though they let more air in.  They are also prone to create even more if the bike gets hit with a sharp cross wind.  I think even if you do have problems there is enough space to fit a short piece of tubing between tje TB and air cleaner, a plenum.  That can smooth out the airflow a lot.  You could also add internal vanes to help.

I'd say try the exhaust first, then if that works try the intake.  They only cost about $40-50 max so if it doesn't work out you won't be out too much cash and can probably sell it on e-bay.

Scott

Sub

• Bob's Your Uncle
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2010 Black Bullet C5
Reply #3 on: June 19, 2010, 04:08:20 am
Ok, so none of the intake boxes on the nfield store will work on a c5? Bummer! I really liked that Ace air box canister..

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: June 19, 2010, 08:12:02 am
I do not have a UCE, but in theory a KnN filter in the box should work.

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #5 on: June 19, 2010, 10:13:07 am
Any more insight into whether there is a more efficient air filter such as K&N which will fit in place of the stock filter on the G5 would be useful. I'm not dissatisfied with the bike at all, but the idea of freeing it up a bit more with such simple mods is very tempting. I'm seriously considering the Watsonian sport silencer - as much to liberate the SOUND as well as the possibility of a small performance boost. The reported backfiring problem is still keeping me hanging back from ordering one. Any input from those who've made such changes would be welcome.
Cheers,
and regardless - just ride it!
Will
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #6 on: June 19, 2010, 11:52:24 am
 R.E. mapped the EFI to self adjust from 1,350ft below sea level ( dead sea ) to the highest passes in the  Himalayas at 18,000+ feet. It handles temperature from sub zero to 140 F and  humidity levels from 0 to 100%

A few of our forum brothers have reported good results with lower restriction mufflers.

I would think that the air flow from the ACE air box should be sufficiently smooth enough to not disturb the MAP sensor.

No matter where you go, there, you are.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #7 on: June 19, 2010, 05:54:06 pm
Two notes on a K&N filter:
http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,7099.0.html

That post is one and notes another from Pistone a little way down.  He has figured out which one fits and put it on.  Seems to work on his firt few rides.

Do keep in mind: K&N filters breathe better but also filter less.  What tends to get through is fine dust.  Someone using one on the Ducati site posted his oil analysis and the silica content of his oil was quite high.   So you're basically inviting fine abrasives into your engine with one.  It might shorten engine life.  That said, thousands of people do it so it can't be all that terrible. ;)

Scott

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: June 19, 2010, 06:24:18 pm
Thanks for the input. Hmmm.... I guess more airflow is bound to mean less filtration, which does reduce the temptation to tinker about and risk my carefully run-in engine. But I am getting closer and closer to that less restrictive exhaust. I love to hear this bike, especially under a bit of load along narrow built-up roads....  Thunderous. I want more. What's the matter with me....?   :D

I remember happy days long ago when I could go out for a thrash around town without a crash helmet. Yes I know - foolhardy, but oh the feeling.....the sound..... the not giving a damn.....;D
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 06:29:48 pm by WillW »

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #9 on: June 19, 2010, 06:39:31 pm
I guess more airflow is bound to mean less filtration

Not necessarily.  If you build a really big filter from very good media you can get both good filtration AND high flow.  But who has room for a really big filter on a motorcycle?  It's a trade off.  Besides, you seem more enamored with the bark than the bite, I bet the muffler alone will make you happy.  At least for now ;)

Scott

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: June 19, 2010, 07:04:47 pm
Ha Ha yes I like the bark all right.  Of course, a bit more bite always welcome too.. ;)

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #11 on: June 19, 2010, 07:54:57 pm
Ok, so none of the intake boxes on the nfield store will work on a c5? Bummer! I really liked that Ace air box canister..

I haven't made any for the C5 or G5 yet.
It might be very feasible, but I just haven't done any.
I'd need to know some particulars about size of the inlet hose, and location space, and bracketing.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #12 on: June 19, 2010, 09:06:07 pm
 The ACE air filter makes use of a common disposable filter with much more surface area than a stock air filter.

Those things allow an engine to breath deep.

Br. ACE Please do your best for our  UCE riding brethren  ;)
No matter where you go, there, you are.

meilaushi

• Grease Monkey
  • If it ain't broke, don't fix it! Ride!
Reply #13 on: June 20, 2010, 01:54:08 pm
Thanks for the input. Hmmm.... I guess more airflow is bound to mean less filtration, which does reduce the temptation to tinker about and risk my carefully run-in engine. But I am getting closer and closer to that less restrictive exhaust. I love to hear this bike, especially under a bit of load along narrow built-up roads....  Thunderous. I want more. What's the matter with me....?   :D

I remember happy days long ago when I could go out for a thrash around town without a crash helmet. Yes I know - foolhardy, but oh the feeling.....the sound..... the not giving a damn.....;D
Nuthin's wrong with you.  You're in love with the 'Thump'  We all are (at least I am!)  I'm hoping I can put a shorty exhaust on my new G5 whenever it comes.  Looks nicer than that long cigar they come with, and sounds a LOT better!  Matt Lockso at L & L Classic Cycle (m' favoriteist dealer!) sez he'll look into that for me.  Hope the answer'll be 'yep'. 8)
Ralph Meyer
2008 RE Classic Bullet ES :) "Ennypenny" (It's an Enfield and costs pennies to run!)
2010 RE Deluxe G-5 :)) "Eagle"
2010 BMW F800ST
Ridin' 58 years & counting!  Back roads are fun! Member IBA.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #14 on: June 20, 2010, 06:20:08 pm
The best combination of caring for our aging bodies with the same old feeling of youthful wrecklessness is a mesh jacket.  Protects like the good stuff and feels like a t-shirt.  Best moto purchase I made last year.

My wife says I'll have to get rid of my racer gear and get something more retro when I get my RE.  Pudding bowls and aviator goggle are great but I still want my full face helmet, I like my teeth.

Scott

clubman

• Grease Monkey
Reply #15 on: June 20, 2010, 09:26:40 pm
Ha Ha yes I like the bark all right.  Of course, a bit more bite always welcome too.. ;)

Will, I do recommend the Goldstar pipe as fitted to the Clubman. You will get the bark you want, a couple more horsepower and I can tell you from experience it does not backfire in the manner that C5 riders have reported with the sports pipe.

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: June 20, 2010, 10:03:55 pm
I guess I've been lucky, no backfires with the upswept exhaust. I wouldn't care if it did, big singles are supposed to pop once in a while :D
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

clubman

• Grease Monkey
Reply #17 on: June 20, 2010, 10:13:00 pm
I guess I've been lucky, no backfires with the upswept exhaust. I wouldn't care if it did, big singles are supposed to pop once in a while :D

You really do have God's own C5 don't you!  ;D

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: June 21, 2010, 05:09:18 pm
I hadn't considered the upswept Goldie exhaust, but it does look good and I like it more than the straight one. I'm not sure whether my saddlebags might be in the way of fitting it though. I'm investigating....

clubman

• Grease Monkey
Reply #19 on: June 21, 2010, 08:28:49 pm
Yes, saddlebags may well be an issue. I got some that are a decent size and don't foul the exhaust for £45. Basically they're also upswept as in being being shorter at one end than the other. You may have to factor that in but it would still only be £150 all in. Plus the adaptor pipe - I think it's about £25. Commiserations over dropping it btw.  :-[

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: June 21, 2010, 08:43:54 pm
You really do have God's own C5 don't you! 

It seems so doesn't it? I still think the C5 was designed specifically for me! :D
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 10:27:32 pm by r80rt »
Iron Butt Association

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: June 21, 2010, 09:09:17 pm
I think I can just about get away with the saddlebags I've got - they're the backward leaning type and I think the Goldstar pipe will leave a couple of inches clearance. But I've found an odd discrepancy on the Watsonian site when I was looking at the exhaust pipe - the illustration in the Accessories/Silencers section (click on the picture below the elbow pipe) shows a double pipe - one inside the other, but the close up of the exhaust in the Clubman Gallery (pic no. 10 of 11) shows a single pipe. Have they changed it? Which one have you got Clubman?

clubman

• Grease Monkey
Reply #22 on: June 21, 2010, 09:40:42 pm
Hi Will,

The double pipe as shown in the accessories, i.e. exactly what you would buy. I think you'd be more than happy with it. They seem to have deliberately airbrushed the inner pipe in the gallery section. Justy as the detachable seat hump has no allen bolts actually attaching it. Why they can't just show it as it is I don't know.  ???

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: June 21, 2010, 09:49:47 pm
Thanks Clubman.
It'll be a done deal before the week's out. I'll get it via the dealership to avoid the delivery costs from Watsonian direct.

""Why they can't just show it as it is I don't know.""  I don't know either. B.S. makes the world go round apparently... ::)