Author Topic: No More Iron Engines, How Long for Parts  (Read 3982 times)

fredgold52

• Grease Monkey
  • Macomb, IL Flatlands Rule
on: December 20, 2007, 12:34:12 am
Those of us who have the iron engined beasties are the proud owners of discontinued classic motorcycles.  Personally, I think that is a really cool thing.  But I feel the need to ask the question about parts availability for these sweet things. 

What do you think, will there be any difficulties in obtaining parts in the years to come?  I don't have much problem with parts for discontinued Japanese bikes, but I have no experience at all with Indian bikes.  That question didn't stop me from buying my new 2006 '65' yesterday, so I'm just askin.
2006 '65' and a 200cc Stella, Indian all the way

Bullet500Dude

• Scooter
  • Me in Mexico
Reply #1 on: December 20, 2007, 12:44:15 am
Well, as long as these bikes have been produced.  Should be no problem for some time I would think.  May have to get then used from India in a few years.
Take CARE, be BAD ;-) and ride SAFE ....... D.B.

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: December 20, 2007, 01:18:32 am
A LOT of spares are produced in England. These bikes are so popular there that I'm sure the English would do what ever is necessary to keep them running. A couple of years ago I got parts for a 1953 Enfield with no trouble at all.

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #3 on: December 20, 2007, 03:28:00 pm
Parts will be the least of your worries!! Here is why
1. Royal Enfield is required by Indian law to carry parts for 7 years after the discontinuation of a model.
2. We have enough parts in our warehouse to last for several years.
3. Millions of these bikes are running around India and there are parts available there that will last well beyond the lifetime of anyone on this list.
4. The British and German distributor as well as Alan Hitchcock have warehouses that rival ours full of parts.
5. There are so many parts available that the prices should stay as reasonable as they are now as well.

Long story short - Don't worry about parts.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

hutch

• Grease Monkey
  • Til death do us part
Reply #4 on: December 20, 2007, 04:39:28 pm
I agree, I am still able to get parts for my 67 interceptor and they only made 759 of the model I have.    Hutch
You learn from your mistakes, and I have LEARNED a lot.

fredgold52

• Grease Monkey
  • Macomb, IL Flatlands Rule
Reply #5 on: December 20, 2007, 05:43:00 pm
Parts will be the least of your worries!! Here is why
1. Royal Enfield is required by Indian law to carry parts for 7 years after the discontinuation of a model.
2. We have enough parts in our warehouse to last for several years.
3. Millions of these bikes are running around India and there are parts available there that will last well beyond the lifetime of anyone on this list.
4. The British and German distributor as well as Alan Hitchcock have warehouses that rival ours full of parts.
5. There are so many parts available that the prices should stay as reasonable as they are now as well.

Long story short - Don't worry about parts.

WOW!  I had no idea all that was there.  I certainly am glad I asked the question or I'd have never found that out.  I'm not planning on using alot of parts, probably more accessories, but it is comforting to have this information.

Thanks,
Fred

PS.  I love the idea of having a classic bike that's out of production yet has the support that may be needed to run many thousands of miles.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2007, 05:46:41 pm by fredgold52 »
2006 '65' and a 200cc Stella, Indian all the way

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...._[:]@==<
Reply #6 on: December 23, 2007, 03:56:01 pm
I liked having a Classic bike that was still in production. I guess that's 'cos all my vehicles are not new and it made a change!!!!
Spares as Kevin says will be around for a long time yet. I wonder which part will become the 'harder-to-get' one as I doubt any will be rarer than hens teeth!!! Any guesses?
If it ain't broke-------------------------- fix it 'till it is!

Royal Enfield Miltary 500cc  (2003)
Honda VTR FireStorm (SuperHawk) 996cc 'V' twin
Kawasaki KR1 250cc twin 'stroker
Ducati 916 'L' twin