Author Topic: Grease and bearings  (Read 2529 times)

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
on: June 18, 2010, 03:32:03 pm
8500 miles and I have not greased my wheel and steering bearings. 
Am I a bad person?  Is my bike going to seize any minute? 
Is that blue clear stuff good? 
How much of a PITA is it to take these various bearing out?  Do I need to plan on a whole week?
Run what ya brung

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #1 on: June 18, 2010, 03:41:08 pm
If you haven't  been riding thru axle-deep mud puddles,  you probably don't have grease needs at 8500  miles.
This of course, assumes that they had ever been originally greased by the factory or dealer,whomever is supposed to perform that function.
This is sometimes not a valid assumption.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #2 on: June 18, 2010, 05:13:40 pm
ACE is right here. The bearings are sealed - and apparently pretty well greased from the Factory from what I'VE seen. The head bearings will "telegraph" when they need grease .... it'll steer funky - but more likely the head bearings will start knocking over little undulations as they get dry. I like to do them once a year. Do the wheel bearings when you change tires and you'll NEVER have to replace one - those bearings SHOULD last for about four or five sets of tires before they are dry - so if you do them EVERY time - you are good.
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: June 18, 2010, 06:55:00 pm
How do you grease "sealed" bearings? 
I'm afraid I can only relate to experience with BMW;  pre-'69 models, we used to grease the bearings with tire changes.  newer models were sealed and I never touched a wheel bearing unless it was spun.

I'm thinking it may be time for the steering head, though...
Which manual is better for trying to understand what I'd need to do?
Run what ya brung

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #4 on: June 18, 2010, 10:55:30 pm
How do you grease "sealed" bearings? 
I'm afraid I can only relate to experience with BMW;  pre-'69 models, we used to grease the bearings with tire changes.  newer models were sealed and I never touched a wheel bearing unless it was spun.

I'm thinking it may be time for the steering head, though...
Which manual is better for trying to understand what I'd need to do?

You pop the bearings out and remove the seals and grease them as long as they're still serviceable. You shouldn't need to do them yet but can if you feel its necessary.

On the steering head bearings, I found a nifty needle attachment that fits on the end of my grease gun (O'Reilly Auto Parts) that will fit between the race and the plastic dust cover. You have to grease in about 5-6 spots around the circumference of the race but just a few minutes compared to hours if you take the hole assembly apart. You should check for any looseness in your front end and adjust if necessary and if you feel any flat spots in the rotation you will have to replace ball bearings.
2003 Classic 500 5 spd
2009 HD FLHT Police 103 6 spd
1992 Kawasaki ZG 1200 Voyager XII

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #5 on: June 19, 2010, 12:10:43 am
You pop the bearings out and remove the seals and grease them as long as they're still serviceable. You shouldn't need to do them yet but can if you feel its necessary.

On the steering head bearings, I found a nifty needle attachment that fits on the end of my grease gun (O'Reilly Auto Parts) that will fit between the race and the plastic dust cover. You have to grease in about 5-6 spots around the circumference of the race but just a few minutes compared to hours if you take the hole assembly apart. You should check for any looseness in your front end and adjust if necessary and if you feel any flat spots in the rotation you will have to replace ball bearings.

Blltrdr beat me to it, that is what I do too.

While I'm in there I wash the grease out with brake clean and inspect each ball along with the inner and outer rage with a 10X magnifier for spalling pitting and discoloration.
 Easy to repack them with the grease of choice and pop the seals back in.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: June 20, 2010, 09:02:10 pm
Mr Trdr, I saw that needle thing you must be talking about.  I assume you have to loosen things up a lot to get that thing in there enough- without everything falling apart?  It looks too thick to really get in there. 
Run what ya brung

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #7 on: June 20, 2010, 09:21:38 pm
Mr Trdr, I saw that needle thing you must be talking about.  I assume you have to loosen things up a lot to get that thing in there enough- without everything falling apart?  It looks too thick to really get in there. 

No loosening necessary the needle is a larger hypodermic that is thin enough to slide in. The dust covers do have a bit of give to them.
2003 Classic 500 5 spd

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: June 20, 2010, 11:30:56 pm
The thing I saw at Nothern Tool is 3/16 thick.

You remember where you found that syringe thing?  I like the idea, but

>>> I can see how you might use that needle method in the bottom, but I don't see how you got it to work from the top.
Run what ya brung

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #9 on: June 20, 2010, 11:50:46 pm
The thing I saw at Nothern Tool is 3/16 thick.

You remember where you found that syringe thing?  I like the idea, but

>>> I can see how you might use that needle method in the bottom, but I don't see how you got it to work from the top.

Mine is a bit less than 3/16". I found it at O'Reilly Auto parts. You can get that needle between the upper dust cover and race to lube the bearings Ernie.
2003 Classic 500 5 spd

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: June 21, 2010, 01:58:44 am
Well, Graingers just such a needle- 18 guage.  I imagine Mc Master-Carr would have them too, but there's a Grainger here, and I have an account.
For the love-O-God I'm busy most of the week.  How does this happen?   I should be able to pick one up Friday.  Will report back.
Run what ya brung

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: June 21, 2010, 04:21:17 am
seems to me if the bearings are sealed it's cheaper in the long run just to replace them.. less time involveled..  when time means not only money but other ways to spend it.. and I am always doing something..  I look for the quick way out or the one way out ;)  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zm15lP8B3Nw

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: June 28, 2010, 10:15:47 pm
Update;
I got an 18 guage needle that fits on a grease gun,  The needle bent and then broke.
Went to a medical supply store and bought 3 needles and a 5cc syringe for a DOLLAR.  I'll bert the nsteel in the needle takes more abuse, too.
I'm very excited.
Run what ya brung

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #13 on: June 29, 2010, 03:08:44 am
Update;
I got an 18 guage needle that fits on a grease gun,  The needle bent and then broke.
Went to a medical supply store and bought 3 needles and a 5cc syringe for a DOLLAR.  I'll bert the nsteel in the needle takes more abuse, too.
I'm very excited.

Getting excited about needles and syringes might be signs you are very close to needing an intervention. I've been watching bits of that show on cable TV (Intervention) and can say without a doubt you are on the road to ruin. You have two choices, sobriety or death. Ernie let us help you man, you realize you capitalized dollar. You are wack!
2003 Classic 500 5 spd

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: June 29, 2010, 03:40:49 am
I've heard that all my life.  If everyone says it, it must be true.
Thanks for your input.  It means so much.
Run what ya brung