Author Topic: What did you do to your Royal Enfield today?  (Read 1841387 times)

Haggis

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7575 on: June 24, 2018, 09:24:31 am
Why do you need heated vest and grips on your "sunshine only" RE?
Just asking. ???
Off route, recalculate?

longstrokeclassic

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7576 on: June 24, 2018, 02:30:55 pm
... removed the mysterious and, at least for me, non-functional "Manual Bi-Starter" lever and cable

Did exactly the same a few years ago, my bike will start at around freezing point and tick over quite happily without it.
I no longer ride in sub zero temperatures so I don't need to keep any junk on my bike which is only useful for starting the bike at or below freezing.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 05:26:21 pm by portisheadric »
Never underestimate the value of improved combustion efficiency and reducing parasitic engine and rolling chassis losses.

Bert Remington

• Grease Monkey
Reply #7577 on: June 24, 2018, 03:08:16 pm
My San Diego site is about 300ft elevation and Descanso is about 3500ft higher.  When I left Descanso yesterday afternoon, the temperature was a sunny 90F and when I neared San Diego the temperature was a cloudy 60F for the last 10 miles (yeah I know not sunny but even in SoCal you get some "weather*").  My old hands were hurting by the time I took my thin elkskin gauntlets off (I haven't connected heated grips power yet).

My alternatives are a windshield (that's an acceptable appearance for the BMW but not the RE from my perspective) or multiple glove sets (yeah right I'm going to pull over and switch).  Plus I really like the warmth coming through my hands.  You have a buy a high-end La-Z-Boy to get this combination of heating and vibration.  :)

The reason I haven't connected power is I was waiting on a seat decision.  My current solo seat was modified with a gel pad by the previous owner.  I don't know if it works but I tend to slide off the seat.  I bought a used Lycett that the previous owner said he mounted on his RE but I can't see how.  I've asked Tim (Parts Man) about a BiltWell (springs, not much padding) vs Low seat (no springs, 50% stock padding).  In my experience the springs are for looks not comfort.  I'm concerned about not being able to shift my position on the Low seat so I'm waiting for Bmadd34 to report on his long ride experiences.  And I intend to centrally locate some electronics under the seat (fuse block, ignition booster, etc) which also affects my decision.

WRT electronics location, I can easily distribute the separate functions throughout the motorcycle (I've already started: the hazard flasher/HelpMe/turn signal electronics are in the "doghouse" tail piece).  So a Low seat is still an option.

My long-winded point is I'm carefully modifying the RE to my safety, comfort, capability and reliability needs while retaining its traditional appearance that emphasizes that single cylinder "thumper" engine.  You saw Triumph spend time and money making their fuel injection look like traditional Amal carburetors.  I think RE did much better in their modernization and I don't want to give that up.  For instance, my mirror saga which I'll post shortly: six in three months.

MapQuest's depiction of the fun part of my San Diego-to-Descanso run is http://mapq.st/2MlaJ4O.  I ride it as a track day in that I strive for consistency in my line, braking points, etc while keeping to the 55mph speed limit (60mph indicated).  So getting the ergonomics correct on this motorcycle are essential to allowing me to focus on the road.

*SoCal weather: in spite of paying high taxes and contrary to visitor temperature expectations, our coast can be cold in the summer and hot in the winter and vice versa in our mountains. ;D
2016 RE Classic 500 CA version Fair-Weather Mountain Bike
2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod

Scotty Brown

• Grand Gearhead
  • Scotty Brown
Reply #7578 on: June 25, 2018, 01:20:17 am
Well, The old Bates saddle finally fully cracked and the padding was pushing out.  I've had that saddle for over fifty years and have had it on a number of both racing and street bikes---SO, I replaced it with a new LaPerra and eliminated the springs and fabricated solid mounts and made the saddle about two inches lower.  AHAAAA --Comfort and better handling.  Will probably fabricate nicer looking mounting in the future, but for now......work in progress....Enfields are the canvas for works of art !

Scotty Brown

• Grand Gearhead
  • Scotty Brown
Reply #7579 on: June 25, 2018, 01:30:37 am
Well, in my old age I forgot to send pictures.  Sooooooo-----

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #7580 on: June 25, 2018, 12:55:38 pm
Looks just fine, S.B.!  :)
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

Bmadd34

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7581 on: June 25, 2018, 01:22:09 pm
Well, in my old age I forgot to send pictures.  Sooooooo-----
Just out of curiosity, What made you go with the Le Pera in leu of the Royal Enfield Low seat? Looks great in either case. Good job.
When Life hands you lemons, Squeeze them in his eyes and take his wallet.

Scotty Brown

• Grand Gearhead
  • Scotty Brown
Reply #7582 on: June 25, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I Traded the stock seat for the Le Pera [

johno

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2012 B5 on the original Portland Dorset UK
Reply #7583 on: June 27, 2018, 05:40:31 pm
fitted a new low level fuel sender,
 polished the alloy parts, wire brushed and painted out some of the small corrosion spots
Then stripped the mainstand and painted that too.
checked tyres oil and chain, ready for another couple of 120 mile journeys...
2012 B5 Bullet
 K&N, sport muffler, 18tooth fr sprocket, Avon style fairing, 1958 pattern British army haversacks. Mitas tyres DiD chain. Carberry plate.

longstrokeclassic

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7584 on: June 28, 2018, 05:44:14 pm
...put a for sale notice on it.
Just not riding it as much since I bought my 1200 Triumph Bonneville. I don't intend to actively advertise it but it might pique someone's interest if they come across it.
Never underestimate the value of improved combustion efficiency and reducing parasitic engine and rolling chassis losses.

Carlsberg Wordsworth

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7585 on: June 28, 2018, 07:07:15 pm
...put a for sale notice on it.

Well don't be a stranger!

Tbh, this is the reason that I my GPz is most likely to go.

upintheair

• Scooter
Reply #7587 on: June 29, 2018, 03:34:37 am
Washed the beast in preparation for a ride early Saturday, before it hits 106F (41C).
Historical: 1952 Cushman, 1958 Vespa 125, Honda 2x 1963 C110, 1968? CL77, 1975 TL125, Yamaha 1963 YDS2, 1975 XS650, 1968 Kawasaki 175, 1965 Hodaka Ace 100, 1960 BSA A65, 2006 Jonway 250, 1975 Bultaco 250 Alpina,
Current:  2015 Green RE B5 with K70's, DID 530 chain, Koso TNT,

Bert Remington

• Grease Monkey
Reply #7588 on: June 29, 2018, 07:54:54 am
I purchased a second C5 yesterday: 2010 with 1885 miles apparently badged as Bullet because Classic emblems weren't available at the time.  So I won't be buying a better seat, etc parts for my 2016 for a year or so.

Instead I'll be working with Peter the cam guy on rebuilding one of the engines (2010 or 2016, TBD, while I ride my 2016 with the other engine).  At the end, my 2016 will have the updated engine and I will sell the 2010.

This started with GHG's post on Peter's cams, then pictures of their valve, piston, etc upgrades, followed by plans for more tempting parts and pieces.  Apparently I have wildbill's self-restraint, albeit without his bank account.

Tasteful and nicely-done upgrades installed by the seller include megaphone exhaust; taller handlebar; passenger seat; tank rack; rear cargo rack; stainless steel brake line; and pedestrian slicer.  A Power Commander V is included but not installed.  Neither Peter nor I have personally seen the motorcycle but based on the pictures its a black beauty.  I feel fortunate to have made this purchase.
2016 RE Classic 500 CA version Fair-Weather Mountain Bike
2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod

longstrokeclassic

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7589 on: June 29, 2018, 10:17:19 am
Well don't be a stranger!

Tbh, this is the reason that I my GPz is most likely to go.

Took it down to the local bike night and was totally overshadowed by the local bike dealer who was selling off his Enfield stock.  He sold his last, a battle green with several onlookers wanting to know where they could buy one.
I originally priced it at £2,000 but willing to accept less from the right buyer but then rewrote the advert asking for sensible offers but didn't receive one, sensible or otherwise! Early days.
I was quite interested in something new from the dealers showroom and part exchanging the B5 against it but he said it was very difficult to price a bike with such 'high' mileage - a kind way of saying they weren't interested. 
Fortunately I'm now in a position where I need neither cash nor space so could just leave it in the shed until I get fed up with looking at it.  I've got to the stage where I can't be bothered with wasting time over a simple bike sale, that's why a sign on the bike is probably the easiest way forwards, anyone interested enough to make contact will already have seen the bike.

Edit. Had a rethink on the price and also decided to put it in the for sale section on Hitchcock’s forum.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 10:30:53 pm by portisheadric »