Author Topic: What did you do to your Royal Enfield today?  (Read 1811262 times)

Blairio

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7065 on: May 22, 2017, 04:41:22 am
 My bike has nitrogen filled tyres too - well, approx 78% nitrogen, because that's how much is in regular air. :D

AmBraCol

• Grease Monkey
  • Rebelling Against The Rebels
Reply #7066 on: May 22, 2017, 04:45:23 am
Haven't calculated what percentage, but using the nitrogen seems to give me more stable pressure over time.  Don't know WHY, just that they don't need aired up as frequently as with regular air.  Some think it's a gimmick, but my experience has been quite positive over time.
Paul

2015 Royal Enfield Rumbler 500

Blairio

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7067 on: May 22, 2017, 10:15:19 am
pure Nitrogen in tyres leads to a more predictable pressure gradient as the tyre heats up. It is used in the tires on aircraft landing gear for this reason, and also in formula 1 racing car tyres.  Both usages place incredible stress & strain on the tires.

A side effect is that tires with pure nitrogen lose pressure are slowly, as it is harder for   pure nitrogen to escape - no doubt a chemist could explain why. My guess the molecules are larger than regular air molecules, but I am guessing. Think there is a documented benefit for regular bike and car tires when running at altitude, in that pressure loss is slower for this reason.

AmBraCol

• Grease Monkey
  • Rebelling Against The Rebels
Reply #7068 on: May 22, 2017, 01:11:46 pm
pure Nitrogen in tyres leads to a more predictable pressure gradient as the tyre heats up. It is used in the tires on aircraft landing gear for this reason, and also in formula 1 racing car tyres.  Both usages place incredible stress & strain on the tires.

A side effect is that tires with pure nitrogen lose pressure are slowly, as it is harder for   pure nitrogen to escape - no doubt a chemist could explain why. My guess the molecules are larger than regular air molecules, but I am guessing. Think there is a documented benefit for regular bike and car tires when running at altitude, in that pressure loss is slower for this reason.

That coincides with my observations.  In theory (at least MY theory) this should also lead to greater tire life as less wear and tear results from a constant pressure than one that's constantly changing. 
Paul

2015 Royal Enfield Rumbler 500

Fragman

• Bulleteer
Reply #7069 on: May 29, 2017, 04:07:46 am

Yer guess is correct. Nitrogen is the larger molecule in air + by keeping oxygen out of the mix, rubber & metal are far less prone to breakdown due to oxidation. Nitrogen in tires has been used in racing applications for years now mainly because of it's thermal stability throughout a much wider range than straight air.

I just put fresh rubber on my HHR & the tire shop used nitrogen as the agent to load 'em with at no extra charge. I run nitrogen in me bike tires as well. ;)

Nothing better than a nice putt on an RE.
It's a serene way to travel at an unhurried pace.

-2013 Classic Maroon-

longstrokeclassic

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7070 on: May 31, 2017, 08:02:35 pm
Despite having solved a hesitation problem caused by a (then dirty but now clean) Lambda Sensor, I decided I'd replace the £125 O² Sensor with a £10 sensor eliminator plug :) :) :) 

Plugged it in and went for a 100 mile ride. No MIL light and although it's probably psychological, the engine does seem a little more eager than it did before so the Lambda sensor will be remaining in storage for the moment.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 08:06:20 pm by portisheadric »

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #7071 on: June 01, 2017, 07:56:45 am
 Drilled out the two broken headlight mounting screws and then drilled out the holes and installed a pair of stainless Heli-Coils.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7072 on: June 12, 2017, 08:03:05 pm
  About 95 degrees here... took it out to the country a beat the snot out of it. ;D

An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #7073 on: June 13, 2017, 01:25:19 pm
Lookin' good as always, GHG!

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
  • Riding the Madrass Missile!
Reply #7074 on: June 13, 2017, 10:17:42 pm
Ooh, your making me jealous GHG! Having fun and looking good doing it!  8)

Having not had the time for a proper snot beating of the Madrass Missile lately, I decided instead, to proudly wear my best Shiva Rider - Royal Enfield t-shirt to work today.  ::)

It's always a little cool in the factory, but I took off my coat and strutted all around the predominately Harley Davidson population.  :)

I'm pretty sure my nipples were hard the whole time!  :o
Realize your Self on a Royal Enfield.

2015 Classic Chrome/Maroon; "Bholenath", Ported head by GHG, AVL Pistons, Hitchcocks H.P. Cams, PC-V, A/T,  Kenda-761's, Koso TNT, Premium EFI Silencer.

2015 Triumph T-100 Orange/Black, TTP Stage-2 induction
2012 Triumph Scrambler / Dauntless M-72D Sidecar.

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7075 on: June 14, 2017, 12:27:04 am

Ooh, your making me jealous GHG! Having fun and looking good doing it!  8)

Having not had the time for a proper snot beating of the Madrass Missile lately, I decided instead, to proudly wear my best Shiva Rider - Royal Enfield t-shirt to work today.  ::)

It's always a little cool in the factory, but I took off my coat and strutted all around the predominately Harley Davidson population.  :)

I'm pretty sure my nipples were hard the whole time!  :o

Hahaha !!  Too funny.   Get out there and start flogging that thing and show up them Harley types UP, with the bike AND the hardened nipples !  Hahaha !  ;)

Lookin' good as always, GHG!

Thanks chum !    You know ...That shot is not all that far from your old neighborhood. ;)

« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 12:31:02 am by gashousegorilla »
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #7076 on: June 15, 2017, 01:28:25 am
Thanks chum !    You know ...That shot is not all that far from your old neighborhood. ;)

I thought those trees looked familiar!  :P

dls

• Scooter
  • 2022 350 Classic Reborn Halcyon Black
Reply #7077 on: June 17, 2017, 09:23:40 pm
paid it off ;D

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7078 on: June 18, 2017, 01:48:59 am
bet that made you smile all day long....congratulations! 8)

Scotty Brown

• Grand Gearhead
  • Scotty Brown
Reply #7079 on: June 18, 2017, 03:41:58 am
Nice morning ride to a motorcycle meet then home a changed my clock to daylight time next a nice nap.