Author Topic: What did you do to your Royal Enfield today?  (Read 1832543 times)

Mr.Mazza

• Grand Gearhead
  • Upside down thumping
Reply #4845 on: August 26, 2014, 10:04:19 am
Finally figured out what that rattle was...my headstay bolt being loose.
The bike was thumping harder than usual, making s horrible metal on metal noise.
Pulled into the best place to ever do a roadside diagnosis and fix, a service station with 5 workshops, found a bolt and nut and she was like new. :)
Lizzy - 07 500 Deluxe ES - Red and chrome - Sold.

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #4846 on: August 26, 2014, 11:05:33 pm
I had my leaky kickstart seal replaced under warranty. They say "your bike is done". I say "It has more oil on it now than when I brought it in!" They say "it leaks some oil when you remove the side cover." I ask "How do you know you fixed the leak if everything is covered in oil?" 10 minutes later it is washed and looks like it will stay clean. Lazy mechanic who doesn't check his work. Grrr.

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4847 on: August 26, 2014, 11:48:04 pm
Got up early and rode it 127 miles. It had not been ridden in 2 weeks. Got back and lubed the chain while it was still hot. Checked the chain adjustment, it has not been adjusted in over 2000 miles, and is still perfect. I thought these were supposed to be crappy chains. Checked the water level in the battery (not a fun job) it was a tiny bit low, I topped it off with distilled water. I don't mind maintaining a battery, I grew up doing it. But this battery is just to hard to get in and out. And you can't really see the water level without setting it on a counter and putting a light behind it. Will be replaced with an AGM battery when it goes. 2900+ miles, still not seeing much tire wear. Am considering a rack or saddlebags. Really getting tired of carrying a backpack with spare tubes and flat tire fixing tools.
"I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker"
"Buy the ticket, take the ride" Hunter S. Thompson

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #4848 on: August 27, 2014, 01:56:14 am
Stopped in at Rocket Motorcycle in San Diego while on vacation.  I ran into my MSF instructor from 14 years ago who still works there.  I got to see the Contis.  Really nice bikes I the flesh, they look better than in pics.  No too aggressive of a seating position.  Bought a t-shirt while I was there.

Scott

medioXcore

• Scooter
Reply #4849 on: August 27, 2014, 02:24:48 am
I had a few minutes of free time, so I took the horn off of the bracket, took the bracket off of the frame, and reversed everything.  Now, the horn sits right behind the front fender. I  contemplated taking the horn apart and painting the fake chrome cover. Maybe I'll do that over the weekend, along with the pilot light housings. And I may throw some plastidip on various parts, specifically the headlight housing. 
2014 C5 Military

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."

Gen. James Mattis

bsachania

• Neophyte
Reply #4850 on: August 28, 2014, 09:07:00 pm
Chi out these amazing. Transparent covers....

bsachania

• Neophyte
Reply #4851 on: August 28, 2014, 09:09:08 pm
For the u.c engine

NorEaster

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4852 on: August 28, 2014, 11:16:51 pm
For the u.c engine
Wow... that's kind of neat

pmanaz1973

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4853 on: August 28, 2014, 11:33:36 pm
That is cool...who makes those?  I might have to have one of those for some weird reason.
1984 XL350R
1991 XR250L
1976 Harley XLH 1000
1993 CBR 600
1976 Norton Commando 850
1972 BMW R75/5
2014 Royal Enfield C5

SteveThackery

• Inveterate tinkerer
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "If it ain't broke, keep fixing it until it is."
Reply #4854 on: August 28, 2014, 11:38:32 pm
Me too!  I just gotta have one!
Meteor 350

Previous:
'14 B5
'06 ElectraX (Good bike, had no trouble at all)
'02 500ES (Fully "Hitchcocked" - 535, cams, piston, etc - and still a piece of junk)

...plus loads of other bikes: German, British, Japanese, Italian, East European.

Royal Stargazer

• I have no idea what I'm doing.
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #4855 on: August 29, 2014, 03:53:10 am
I fixed my exhaust. The clamp that came with the EFI silencer that everyone said to tighten more than you think was tightened all the way and was somehow still loose. I located a replacement at Fastenal, went in there (five minutes after they closed) and bought their entire stock. Took this time to reposition the silencer, and the little heat shield...

Then I broke my brake light. Again. This time the rear pedal won't turn it on. I found out that the pedal was getting hung up on one of the clamps holding the heat shield on, so I moved it. With the tension off, of course, the brake pedal won't trip the switch. Tinkered with it. Increased the tension. No dice. I'm in that special place where I can't just "sleep on it" either. Come what may, I'll be tinkering on this - or at least researching this - well into the night.

An hour later...

Fixed the brake light! I loosened it, and jiggled it. That should never be an acceptable repair method, and yet it is. I guess that's two wins for me today.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 04:54:01 am by Royal Stargazer »
2020 Royal Enfield Continental GT, A racer for more than just cafes
2005 Volvo S60 2.5T AWD, Two doors too many
2003 Royal Enfield Bullet, two-wheeled time machine

JoeSchmofo

• Scooter
Reply #4856 on: August 29, 2014, 09:45:57 am
I have no idea why I want a transparent tappet cover but I do.

azcatfan

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2002 Bullet ES
Reply #4857 on: August 29, 2014, 04:36:59 pm
I have no idea why I want a transparent tappet cover but I do.

I know, right?   8)
-2002 Bullet ES Up-Jetted with Ace Air Canister and punched HD Exhaust.

My MotoVlog Channel:  http://tinyurl.com/nnso3av

The_Rigger

• Grease Monkey
  • Mom Always Liked You Better...
Reply #4858 on: August 29, 2014, 10:30:21 pm
Spent this afternoon installing a Frampton's PRS slicer and modding up the American Fat-Ass saddle from Hitchcock's to use the stouter OEM seat springs, 'cuz... Well... I needs 'email, that's why. Unexpected Bonus: the OEM springs lowered the saddle a touch, and it gives the bike a more aggressive look.

Still sorting out using the C5 pillion seat mounting frame as a saddlebag rack, in order to raise the bags up high enough to stay off my upswept exhaust. Other than that, I've pretty much got the old girl set up the way I want her.
-Dave
2012 C5 Special
Central Michigan, USA (when I'm not working somewhere else)

NorEaster

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4859 on: August 30, 2014, 11:24:39 pm
Rigger,
Which template of the Frampton's fender plate did you go with?
I want to get one but want to get the right radius for my fender.
Took my RE to the Owls Head Transportation Museum bike meet today and met up with our forum member Mattsz. It was good to see Matt and check out all the classics that were in the show. There were a number of great looking classic Brit bikes there. Great weather, great folk, cool bikes made for a great day.
Got my RE over 2K in mileage and found out she really likes going 70mph...  ;D