Author Topic: What did you do to your Royal Enfield today?  (Read 1812850 times)

lemming

• Grease Monkey
  • Weezin' the Ju-uice
Reply #4755 on: July 31, 2014, 05:25:54 pm
Thankfully, no! It really is an ideal arrangement. When my car was hit by a deer (yes, not the other way 'round) and was in the shop for three weeks, he gave me the Miata to commute in. I think I have put more miles on it in the last few years than he has.  ;D
"I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant"

2011 B5 Black - "Tonks" - My first bike. Gone, but fondly remembered.
2010 Harley Iron 883 1200 conversion - work in progress
1998 Yamaha YZF600R - streetfighter Mad Max

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #4756 on: July 31, 2014, 08:41:09 pm
Here in FL, I pulled my Miata out of the storage unit today, & only looked in passing at my G5 deluxe. Tomorrow I am going over there to put everything left in a smaller 10'x10' unit. While I'm there I hope to get in a good ride & to top up the battery. Still evicting insects & lizards from the bank owned (vacant 3 years) house we are buying. Many repairs are still needed to be ready. I will save gas running around in the Miata. The new place is in North Port, & I will probably wait until we move in to go riding. Not taking chances when between homes & hospitalization insurance plans.
Unbelievable but true, my 2010 G5 Deluxe started right up after not running in well over a month. I was able to go for a nice ride & would have ridden all day, but had to put everything in the 10'x10' storage unit until we have a permanent address. I sure love my G5 Deluxe & the Solo seat conversion IS extremely comfortable, but slightly further from the ground - Both bike & seating are keepers.  Big testimonial to Deka AGM Battery & STABIL Marine formula, Fast starts when fuel could have been stale, & lesser batteries discharged.
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

The_Rigger

• Grease Monkey
  • Mom Always Liked You Better...
Reply #4757 on: August 01, 2014, 01:09:15 am
Not a bad plan. Got any pointers?

Pull the headlamp, unscrew the cable from the back of the speedo & disconnect from the lower end, pull out the cable core, put the lower end of the housing in a pan of some sort, get a can of good aerosol de-greaser/cleaner (I use Birchwood Casey "Gun Scrubber"), stick the red straw into the nozzle, and give a few good long blasts down the speedo cable housing to thin up & blow out the old grease & grunge. Let the cleaner dissolve & dry out, then repeat the blasting process with a good cable lube (I use TriFlow), replace the cable core (which, while you were waiting on the housing, you cleaned thoroughly with a good solvent and re-lubed with TriFlow, et.al.), give it one more shot of lube, reconnect both ends of the cable, replace the headlamp, and some guy named Bob is now taken up with your mother's sister...

I guess the thing that weirds me out about it is not that it did it, but that it went back to normal after resting, and then did it again. I can handle something breaking - but when it fixes itself and decides to break again... That's where I call shenanigans.
With those symptoms, that's where I call a dirty cable. It is also possible the core is in the process of breaking, and you should thoroughly check it for broken strands while it's out of the housing.
-Dave
2012 C5 Special
Central Michigan, USA (when I'm not working somewhere else)

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4758 on: August 01, 2014, 04:13:21 pm
I sure wish I had the Blackhawk with me in Texas right now.  It's beautiful down here!  It's hot, but not crazy cook you death Arizona desert hot.  It's humid, but not ridiculous Midwest Great Lakes Humid.  Mom has central air in the house, but I find myself sitting on the patio quite often just enjoying the Gulf breeze watching the palm trees blow in the wind.  My point is, I think I am going to try and make a trip and ride down sometime in the not too distant future.  Maybe I can plan a trip where I can ride the bike and have my wife drive in the car.  That way I still get my adventure on, but will still have tools and parts available for the inevitable break down.  1175 miles each way/17 hours, so totally doable in 2 days, possibly 3.  Or maybe I'll just buy a trailer and trailer the bike down here and just ride once I get here.  I really want to ride my bike down the beach on Padre Island, like roll onto the beach at Beach #1 and just start riding until I run out of real estate or find sand that is too soft to ride.  Either way, I think that would make for an epic afternoon.

Scottie J
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #4759 on: August 01, 2014, 05:24:17 pm
...... maybe I'll just buy a trailer and trailer the bike down here and just ride once I get here. ....

You seem to be a handy guy, why not knock one up yourself ?
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4760 on: August 01, 2014, 06:45:49 pm
I really want to ride my bike down the beach on Padre Island, like roll onto the beach at Beach #1 and just start riding until I run out of real estate or find sand that is too soft to ride.  Either way, I think that would make for an epic afternoon.

As log as you stay down where the water comes up at high tide, the sand is usually fairly hard. You won't have any trouble riding there, but it might be a bit corrosive. Spray on some ACF50 before you hit the sand, then rinse it off well with fresh water when you're down. I used to ride and race on Pensacola Beach. The sand is a lot of fun. The soft stuff is great for falling off. Very soft landings!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #4761 on: August 02, 2014, 12:33:11 am
Daytona bike week started as a race on the beach sand.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4762 on: August 02, 2014, 04:48:58 am
Burt Munro did most of his test runs on the beach as well.   :)
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

Carlsberg Wordsworth

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4763 on: August 02, 2014, 09:20:35 am
replaced rear tube, man that was a fight, or out of practise. not convinced an easy task if stranded though. Considered looking for tubeless wheels....

Managed to scratch the rim too. Might spray them black eventually. Couldn't get on with rim protectors on this wheel, they worked really well when I changed the YBR tyres over.

Royal Stargazer

• I have no idea what I'm doing.
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #4764 on: August 02, 2014, 06:53:01 pm
Today I celebrated one full year of motorcycle ownership. Love this bike! 5,690 miles and going strong!

Missed the local ride though :( too much mirth last night.
2020 Royal Enfield Continental GT, A racer for more than just cafes
2005 Volvo S60 2.5T AWD, Two doors too many
2003 Royal Enfield Bullet, two-wheeled time machine

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #4765 on: August 02, 2014, 08:39:38 pm
........ Considered looking for tubeless wheels....

I still am.    I'm thinking solid disc.
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #4766 on: August 02, 2014, 10:34:56 pm
I still am.    I'm thinking solid disc.
I'm not turned off by cast wheels, the ones on my SR500 were pretty nice. I have heard the Fat Bob riders say the solid disc artillery type wheels were seriously affected by cross winds, which might get very twitchy on a light bike. Think I'd like a painted industrial revolution styled cast spoked wheel.
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4767 on: August 02, 2014, 11:07:54 pm
There is a reason that there are no disk wheels on production, or racing, motorcycles.
People think that a heavier bike is better in the wind. Having been raised in Wyoming, I learned a long time ago that windage, the amount of side area you have is far more harmful than the lack of weight. The best bikes in a cross wind are the ones that the wind blows through. Baggers and fully faired sportbikes are terrible in the wind. 
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Mr.Mazza

• Grand Gearhead
  • Upside down thumping
Reply #4768 on: August 03, 2014, 12:40:12 am
Pulled my header pipe off, which was easier than I thought!
Cleaned up the pipe face and inside the head, put a shitload of Permatex Copper Gasket on and reassembled.
HOPEFULLY that seals it up nice a good, was getting sick of my leaky exhaust, sometimes it was louder than the end of my muffler!
Lizzy - 07 500 Deluxe ES - Red and chrome - Sold.

Magoo

• Bulleteer
Reply #4769 on: August 03, 2014, 09:15:22 am
Sunday Renfield therapy in the sunshine: wash off a month's worth of rain, oil change, chain clean & lube, reseal loose bolts, a good polish and she's feeling loved again.