Author Topic: What did you do to your Royal Enfield today?  (Read 1829669 times)

medioXcore

• Scooter
Reply #4725 on: July 24, 2014, 08:00:08 am
I got my bar end mirrors in the mail today, so I threw them on. It was easy and relatively quick. My wife was rushing me out the door, so I didn't get to snap any pics or take it out for a test spin. I also added a new sticker and started the process of taking off the "500" stickers on the air box cover and fuse box cover. Still looking for black tank decals. I found them on nfieldgear.com and Hitchcock's, but shipping is waaaaaaaaaaay too high.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 08:08:18 am by medioXcore »
2014 C5 Military

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."

Gen. James Mattis

lemming

• Grease Monkey
  • Weezin' the Ju-uice
Reply #4726 on: July 24, 2014, 08:33:11 pm
Cleaned off the mud and silt from a wet ride on dirt the other day. She's no trailer queen, but she looks much better now! Cleaned, lubed and tensioned the chain while I was at it for good measure.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 08:35:29 pm by lemming »
"I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant"

2011 B5 Black - "Tonks" - My first bike. Gone, but fondly remembered.
2010 Harley Iron 883 1200 conversion - work in progress
1998 Yamaha YZF600R - streetfighter Mad Max

Royal Stargazer

• I have no idea what I'm doing.
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #4727 on: July 27, 2014, 04:27:32 am
I put about three hundred miles on my bike today (round trip,) and noticed some odd things:

After about an hour, the speedometer needle (which was super steady up until this point) decided it'd had enough of my crap, and just started dancing around madly. I could no longer even estimate how fast I was going, and I had the feeling that it wasn't fast as I had been going. Up until halfway through the journey or so, I had enough twist on the throttle left to pass if I needed to but after the needle started going bananas, I started getting passed a whole hell of a lot. Coincidental, maybe, but still worrisome.

Resting the bike, even for only a few minutes while running, seemed to reset the needle dance for another half hour or so.

What the hell did I break?
2020 Royal Enfield Continental GT, A racer for more than just cafes
2005 Volvo S60 2.5T AWD, Two doors too many
2003 Royal Enfield Bullet, two-wheeled time machine

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4728 on: July 27, 2014, 04:35:42 am
how about clean and relube the speedo cable - it might be worth a shot! plus it might even solve the sticky speedo. worked for me once as i too had a jumpy speedo and found it very annoying.

Royal Stargazer

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4729 on: July 27, 2014, 04:57:15 am
how about clean and relube the speedo cable - it might be worth a shot! plus it might even solve the sticky speedo. worked for me once as i too had a jumpy speedo and found it very annoying.

Not a bad plan. Got any pointers?

I guess the thing that weirds me out about it is not that it did it, but that it went back to normal after resting, and then did it again. I can handle something breaking - but when it fixes itself and decides to break again... That's where I call shenanigans.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #4730 on: July 27, 2014, 05:41:50 am
On my last 200 mile ride up to Flagstaff my 2011, G5  speedometer started doing the same thing while I was riding at 60-65 mph.

The road was rather rough so I thought that might be the cause of the bouncing needle but even in the smooth stretches it continued to bounce.

I then decided it was the drive cable, catching and whipping in the housing so at my next rest stop I pulled the inner cable out.

There it was, still glistening with fresh Vaseline with no snags or anything else that looked like a problem so I reassembled it and rode on.

I must have gotten its attention because for the rest of the trip, and well over 1000 miles since this happened, it hasn't repeated its dance, even once. :)

Maybe it was caused by some lost soul that was just trying to be let out?  :o
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Royal Stargazer

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4731 on: July 27, 2014, 03:33:03 pm
So... just unscrew the cap under the speedo and wait until the spirit's left?

I can wrench alright, but we venture into ghost hunting territory and you've lost me.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #4732 on: July 27, 2014, 04:53:08 pm
Disconnect the speedo cable at the wheel and pull out the inner cable.  Clean it off.  I lube mine with moly grease, but don't lube the top 6-8".  You don't want grease to make it's way into the speedo itself.  You can also look for speedo lube.  Do this every time you change the oil. 

Scott

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4733 on: July 27, 2014, 05:48:39 pm
 The problem with my speedo was that it had front to back play on the stem that the cable and the clamp mount to. And depending on that play , whether it was held towards the front it was fine. If it shifted back, not fine.  So it would engage something inside,  and at times disengage.  When it disengaged, the needle would get wonkey, and it would even go in reverse as I rolled the bike backwords. It would also hang up at times and the cable would twist and fray. No amount of lube helped in my case, although that IS a good thing to keep well lubed. The issue was internal on my speedo.
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

retrolynn

• Bulleteer
Reply #4734 on: July 27, 2014, 11:05:48 pm
Rode 45 miles,and tightened the bolts that hold the exaust pipe on the engine . One was loose. Up to 650 miles on it.
Lynn

Mr.Mazza

• Grand Gearhead
  • Upside down thumping
Reply #4735 on: July 27, 2014, 11:31:10 pm
Home sick from work, might go unbend my footpeg and install my smiths style speedo!
Anyond got tips on changing the speedo, dont care about milage, not a legal here.
Lizzy - 07 500 Deluxe ES - Red and chrome - Sold.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4736 on: July 28, 2014, 03:43:52 am
Started putting air in the rear tire only to discover that the valve stem is torn.    :-\  Damn it, and I JUST adjusted the rear chain too.    :P
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #4737 on: July 28, 2014, 05:34:31 am
I think almost all Royal Enfields have a "cush drive" between the rear sprocket and the actual wheel.

One of the advantages of these was it cushioned the shock of changing gears etc.

Another feature that went along with these was you should be able to remove the rear wheel without loosening or changing the rear sprockets location.

At least on the Bullets, removing the axle and spacer (without loosening the sprocket nut or rear brake backing plate stud) allows the rear wheel to move sideways, disengaging the cush drive and allowing it to just slide out for tire repair.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #4738 on: July 28, 2014, 09:47:24 am
I think almost all Royal Enfields have a "cush drive" between the rear sprocket and the actual wheel.

One of the advantages of these was it cushioned the shock of changing gears etc.

Another feature that went along with these was you should be able to remove the rear wheel without loosening or changing the rear sprockets location.

At least on the Bullets, removing the axle and spacer (without loosening the sprocket nut or rear brake backing plate stud) allows the rear wheel to move sideways, disengaging the cush drive and allowing it to just slide out for tire repair.

+ 1

Sons continuing wars, our fathers were enemies

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #4739 on: July 28, 2014, 02:02:39 pm
I put about three hundred miles on my bike today (round trip,) and noticed some odd things:

After about an hour ........ snip

Boy, I envy you guys who can ride 200, 300 (even 45) in a day. I got 5 miles on the "Ace AVL" the last time I rode (the 20th) & the pain took over. Made a total of a whole 7 miles. At least it was enough to tweak the mixture screw another hair. Still dialing it in to make it a reliable one or two kick starter. It's a long, sometimes frustrating process when you can't ride every day & can only do one tweak per ride.
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.