Author Topic: What did you do to your Royal Enfield today?  (Read 1811176 times)

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4590 on: June 17, 2014, 12:30:43 pm
Sunday my battery failed out in the country so I limped the bike over to a nearby friend's house.  Yesterday I replaced my POS Autocraft (Advance Auto Parts brand) 4LBS "AGM" battery with a Batteries Plus 5LBS AGM battery.  The bike fired right up and it looks like my charging system is still working just fine, which makes me happy because I was convinced and pissed that my alternator had failed again.  I didn't get much of a chance to ride yesterday, but I did take it down to Ace Hardware to buy 4 bolts and lock washers for my custom luggage rack.  After I got home from there I got the rack installed, pretty easy and straight forward.  I installed the bolts with lock washers and a good amount of blue Loctite.  The bike isn't quite as sporty looking now, but at least I have a functional rack that I use carry stuff.

Scottie J
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #4591 on: June 17, 2014, 12:51:17 pm
Nice, Scottie.  And, I see you've got the perfect liquid accessories for maintenance work - a bottle of blue loctite and a bottle of beer!  8)

Portland Bullet

• Scooter
  • 2011 B5
Reply #4592 on: June 17, 2014, 07:44:55 pm
Rode in the rain. Froze. Dried off. Napped. Went for another ride. Got soaked. Dried off. It sucked. It was great. Can't wait to do it again.  8)
The Portland Bullet
To Dream, to Live, to Ride

2011 B5 Bullet 500cc

Mr.Mazza

• Grand Gearhead
  • Upside down thumping
Reply #4593 on: June 17, 2014, 09:12:07 pm
Rode in the rain. Froze. Dried off. Napped. Went for another ride. Got soaked. Dried off. It sucked. It was great. Can't wait to do it again.  8)

Its winter here
This is my life haha
Lizzy - 07 500 Deluxe ES - Red and chrome - Sold.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #4594 on: June 17, 2014, 09:29:36 pm

Makes me glad I chose the leave the bike in the garage this morning.

Portland Bullet

• Scooter
  • 2011 B5
Reply #4595 on: June 17, 2014, 10:40:21 pm
Haha. You got that right Scotty.
The Portland Bullet

2011 B5 Bullet 500cc

Portland Bullet

• Scooter
  • 2011 B5
Reply #4596 on: June 17, 2014, 10:41:53 pm
Nice, Scottie.  And, I see you've got the perfect liquid accessories for maintenance work - a bottle of blue loctite and a bottle of beer!  8)

I too give those accessories a shout out, esp. the beer. I think that rack looks fine Scottie.
The Portland Bullet

2011 B5 Bullet 500cc

krimp

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4597 on: June 17, 2014, 11:06:23 pm

Sacrilege! Missing the opportunity to ride is like missing a day of your life.
Living in beautiful Colorado Springs, Co.
2014 Cream C5

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #4598 on: June 17, 2014, 11:22:34 pm
I didn't say I wouldn't ride today, just not in this morning's rain ;)

hogdad

• Scooter
  • 2012 C5 Military Special
Reply #4599 on: June 17, 2014, 11:24:10 pm
Yesterday (June 16th) was "National Ride Your Motorcycle to Work Day" here in the U.S., and as I have not had the Royal Enfield on a significant ride since new, and was not working, I plotted a day trip.

I needed to know a distance I could travel on the C5 in a day with regard to any back ache, hand numbness, ass numbness, and the like.

I started out at 6:30AM from Berlin, CT and headed north with secondary roads only (Highway avoidance on the Garmin) and headed for Keene, NH. 116 miles to visit family. From there, I plotted a course to Pembroke, NH. to visit National Power Sports, 62 miles. Being "Laconia Week" I encountered several groups along Route 9N heading to the "Weirs", and was congratulated on the "fine restoration job" I had done on the C5, right!

At 2PM I pointed her south for the 173 mile trek back home and arrived at 7:20PM.

The things I learned:

* The Enfield was flawless in its operation, without a burp, and gave me 81 MPG.
* I could sustain 55/60 MPH for 37 miles on Massachusetts Route 2 West with no detonation.
* I could ride 351 miles in a day not needing the riding belt I brought, just-in-case.
* I could sit on the saddle for 9 hours, and my ass was still there, and was not anymore numb than with the Road Glide.
* Ditto for my hands.

It was a very good day.

Barry
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 11:26:47 pm by hogdad »
2012 Royal Enfield C5 Military
2009 H-D Road Glide FLTR
2003 Triumph Bonneville T100
2000 H-D Electra Glide
1980 H-D FXS Low Rider
1979 H-D XLS Roadster
1978 Triumph Bonneville
1969 BSA Lightning
1966 BSA Lightning

krimp

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4600 on: June 17, 2014, 11:25:23 pm
I didn't say I wouldn't ride today, just not in this morning's rain ;)

OK then. We'll let it slide this time.   :D
2014 Cream C5

krimp

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4601 on: June 17, 2014, 11:27:51 pm
Yesterday (June 16th) was "National Ride Your Motorcycle to Work Day" here in the U.S., and as I have not had the Royal Enfield on a significant ride since new, and was not working, I plotted a day trip.

I needed to know a distance I could travel on the C5 in a day with regard to any back ache, hand numbness, ass numbness, and the like.

I started out at 6:30AM from Berlin, CT and headed north with secondary roads only (Highway avoidance on the Garmin) and headed for Keene, NH. 116 miles to visit family. From there, I plotted a course to Pembroke, NH. to visit National Power Sports, 62 miles. Being "Laconia Week" I encountered several groups along Route 9N heading to the "Weirs", and was congratulated on the "fine restoration job" I had done on the C5, right!

At 2PM I pointed her south for the 173 mile trek back home and arrived at 7:20PM.

The things I learned:

* The Enfield was flawless in its operation, without a burp, and gave me 81 MPG.
* I could sustain 55/60 MPH for 37 miles on Massachusetts Route 2 West with no detonation.
* I could ride 351 miles in a day not needing the riding belt I brought, just-in-case.
* I could sit on the saddle for 9 hours, and my ass was still there, and was not anymore numb than with the Road Glide.
* Ditto for my hands.

It was a very good day.

Barry

That sounds like it was an awesome ride. I'm planning a few of my own for later this summer. I might have to take a day off work just to ride.
2014 Cream C5

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4602 on: June 18, 2014, 10:43:08 pm
The things I learned:

* Ditto for my hands.

Been telling you guys for years, Royal Enfields are fantastic for EPIC day rides
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

decker

• Bulleteer
Reply #4603 on: June 21, 2014, 01:41:42 am
Changed the oil and filter( 3rd change). Went for a 100 mile ride of nothing but twisties. Big smile on my face after getting back. Bonus, when I changed the oil and filter found no metal bits or old dissolved paper shop towels. 3000k's and counting.
"Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry."
Honda cx 500 custom - stolen
Honda 450 twin - traded up
Honda 650 nighthawk - blown up
Honda Goldwing 77- restored/ traded up
Bmw F650gs - sold to buy
2013 RE G5 Deluxe- last bike?

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4604 on: June 21, 2014, 06:42:39 am
Rode down to the Friday Night Hot Rod Meet at Sonic.  Great turn out this week!  Close to 75 cars and 8 bikes or so.  The last 3 weeks it's been rained and/or hailed out so I guess everyone in the neighborhood decided to come out tonight.      :D      I parked next to a new Indian, a V Max and a mid 70's XS650 cafe racer.  Even with the hideous dent in the gas tank mine still gets almost all the looks.  ;D  One of the regular guys noticed my luggage rack and complimented on it.  I didn't get any pics this week because my phone was dead.  Too bad, there was a lot great rides.  Always next week.  ;)

When I got home I cracked open a beer and cracked open my primary cover because my clutch was acting goofy.  Sometimes it'd slip and sometimes it didn't and my cable free play kept changing.     :o    I discovered that the custom cable knuckle that I made was causing the trouble.  Turns out that the ferrel on the old clutch cable was bigger than the one on the new cable and the ferrel was slipping around and not sitting in place.  So the reason the cable kept changing lengths was because the ferrel was moving around and settling in different positions.  I put a small hose clamp around it and tightened the hell out of it and it seems to be fixed now.  I then filled her back up with B&M Trick Shift tranny fluid as recommended by ACE.    :)  Took a ride a few blocks down to get the bike up to temp.  Then at a stop sign just down the street from the house I revved her and kind of dumped the clutch and the motor loaded up instead of revving so, so I think I'm back in business.   :D

Scottie J
2001 Harley Davidson Road King