Author Topic: What did you do to your Royal Enfield today?  (Read 1811410 times)

Magoo

• Bulleteer
Reply #4545 on: June 08, 2014, 07:44:51 am
Thought I'd share my happy milestone today.
Six months in, no major issues and the love affair with the C5 is as strong as ever.
So happy my wife lets me have a mistress.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 07:47:32 am by Magoo »

hogdad

• Scooter
  • 2012 C5 Military Special
Reply #4546 on: June 08, 2014, 11:51:18 am
Congratulations, nice job.
2012 Royal Enfield C5 Military
2009 H-D Road Glide FLTR
2003 Triumph Bonneville T100
2000 H-D Electra Glide
1980 H-D FXS Low Rider
1979 H-D XLS Roadster
1978 Triumph Bonneville
1969 BSA Lightning
1966 BSA Lightning

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4547 on: June 08, 2014, 01:00:28 pm
Pics of the new rear sets installed.

Scottie J
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

Mr.Mazza

• Grand Gearhead
  • Upside down thumping
Reply #4548 on: June 08, 2014, 01:37:26 pm
Hopefully patched the tank up and ordered some bar end mirrors!
Lizzy - 07 500 Deluxe ES - Red and chrome - Sold.

azcatfan

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2002 Bullet ES
Reply #4549 on: June 08, 2014, 02:15:20 pm
Magoo - Congrats!  You have a very understanding wife  ;)

ScottieJ - Glad to see the center stand on there!  I wish you'd had one about 4 weeks ago!  Now, how are those rear sets going to effect your dirt track racing?  Won't your toes no be more in position to dig in?  Also, not as easy to peg a leg while sliding... just curios  :)

Also, what tail light/LP bracket do you have on your fender?
-2002 Bullet ES Up-Jetted with Ace Air Canister and punched HD Exhaust.

My MotoVlog Channel:  http://tinyurl.com/nnso3av

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4550 on: June 08, 2014, 03:05:23 pm

ScottieJ - Glad to see the center stand on there!  I wish you'd had one about 4 weeks ago!  Now, how are those rear sets going to effect your dirt track racing?  Won't your toes no be more in position to dig in?  Also, not as easy to peg a leg while sliding... just curios  :)

Also, what tail light/LP bracket do you have on your fender?

I've always had a center stand, but the one on the bike is really worn down and doesn't support the bike properly.

The rear sets feel much more natural than the original foot pegs.  When I stand up on them I feel WAY more comfortable than standing on the factory pegs.  As far as racing goes it will be a huge improvement.  I was speed limited in the corners before because my foot pegs were scraping in the turns and still had 3/4" of tread on my tire that wasn't making contact with the dirt.  So now I should be able to carry considerably more speed in the corners allowing me to accelerate faster in the straights.

As far as the tail light goes I ordered it from TC Bros Choppers off Ebay.  It looks like the price went up on it however.  I think I only paid $120.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LED-BLACK-33-FORD-SIDE-MOUNT-TAIL-LIGHT-PLATE-BRACKET-SPORTSTER-XS650-BOBBER-BSA-/351088350471

Scottie J
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 03:19:22 pm by High On Octane »

lemming

• Grease Monkey
  • Weezin' the Ju-uice
Reply #4551 on: June 08, 2014, 11:31:29 pm
Tonks and I headed into the Adirondacks yesterday for a ride with my father (he was on his sparkly new F700GS). Took a stunningly beautiful road left off 9N before Moriah up into the peaks, with a section so delightfully twisty we had to go back for a second lap. Tonks took marvelously to the twisties. Using more inside weight shifts off the seat I was able to carry a lot of speed through the 25-35mph warned corners, which was loads of fun. Then, on the way back, I got a flat in the rear tire. :-( left Tonks resting at the entrance to Lincoln Pond State Park and rode Dad's bike home 2up to borrow a truck and ramps. Retrieved Tonks later that night and ordered some tubes. I will be sure next time I take an extended ride to have enough tools and such to change out the tubes, though hopefully I don't have the same experience often.
"I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant"

2011 B5 Black - "Tonks" - My first bike. Gone, but fondly remembered.
2010 Harley Iron 883 1200 conversion - work in progress
1998 Yamaha YZF600R - streetfighter Mad Max

trimleyman

• Bulleteer
  • 1953 or 2011.
Reply #4552 on: June 09, 2014, 02:00:59 am
Busy weekend really. After being on the road for a week I return home to find my new silencer (a Dunstall replica) had arrived. Fitted that with a few minor mods to make it happen. Nice sound compared to the Indian short bottle it had been sporting for a couple of years (it was time for it to go as the chrome was rubbish , but it served it's purpose). The Dunstall is perhaps a little quieter at low revs and speeds but has that tell-tail on the pipe sound when opened up. Lovely sound. The today a photo-op. 
Now 2011 Royal Enfield G5 and just added 2014 Continental GT and latest 2015 Ducati 803 Scrambler Urban Enduro
Then:-
1978 Ducati 900 GTES
1969 Ducati 350 Desmo Racer
1972 Mototrans Ducati 250 24 Horas
1965 Triumph Tiger Cub 200
1967 BSA Bantum

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4553 on: June 09, 2014, 02:15:05 am
Installed the Tympanium, topped off the fluids and went for a short ride around the block to make everything was working and it was.  A quick adjustment of the brake rod and a few adjustments of the clutch cable and all was well.  Went to Buffalo Wild Wings with the wife for lunch and it started pouring outside.  But shortly after we got home the rain had slowed enough that the roads had mostly dried and it was only a light drizzle, so I geared up and headed out for another jaunt.  Of course as soon as I hit the road it started to sprinkle again and eventually turned into rain, but I wanted to ride and was still able to get about 30 minutes of ride time in.  Tho it was a wet 30 minutes.   :)  I found out I need to be careful when it's wet, I was making a left turn after a red stop light and went to accelerate out of 1st kicked the ass end sideways!    :o  After I knew I could spin the tire that easy I had a lot more fun leaving from a stop on the way home.   ;D   Good thing I rode when I did because it hasn't stopped raining since and even had a nice hail storm in the mix.

Scottie J

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #4554 on: June 09, 2014, 10:37:51 am
The last couple of pages with the pics have been awesome. Great shots, azcatfan. Congrats Magoo, always ride safe. The rear-sets look great, Scottie.

Always good to read what other members are doing with their REs! Keep at it.
Sons continuing wars, our fathers were enemies

Royal Stargazer

• I have no idea what I'm doing.
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #4555 on: June 10, 2014, 05:27:28 am
Broke 4,000 miles, ventured out onto the Wisconson alphabet roads for a bit after dark. She's running a little funny though - starts in one kick, but the first time I twist the handle she threatens to stall. Runs fine after that, though.

Also had to convince a trucker that I didn't restore her, though I think I should have just played along. "I was lucky enough to find a gas tank in such good condition, but the rest of the bike was a pain in the ass to assemble!"

I love the comments this bike brings in  8)
2020 Royal Enfield Continental GT, A racer for more than just cafes
2005 Volvo S60 2.5T AWD, Two doors too many
2003 Royal Enfield Bullet, two-wheeled time machine

Mr.Mazza

• Grand Gearhead
  • Upside down thumping
Reply #4556 on: June 10, 2014, 09:38:15 am
Got my new tappet cover!
Goes on the bike with the fixed tank tomorrow, very pleased with it :)
Also HCs sent me a free cataloge as well :)

Philbomoog

• Bulleteer
Reply #4557 on: June 10, 2014, 09:45:02 am
New front tyre fitted. 15000 miles from my Avon AM20 and it still had a decent amount of tread left but no amount of boot polish could hide the cracks in the side wall.
Replaced with an Avon AM26 with only minor loss of knuckle skin.

Mr.Mazza

• Grand Gearhead
  • Upside down thumping
Reply #4558 on: June 11, 2014, 04:31:27 am
Got my tank back, 4 inch spilt! Soldered and sleeved up, and new tapper cover...wait for it...DOESNT LEAK.
NO MORE LEAKS YAY!

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4559 on: June 11, 2014, 04:50:09 am
Damn near lost my eyeball trying to change out the headlight.  Stupid FU (W) clip jumped out and hit me directly in my left eye.    :o    How it didn't get cut my eye is beyond me.  Hurt like a mofo tho.  Yesterday I changed out my fork seals.  I was planning on changing the fork springs too, but when I compared the old to the new they didn't match.  The new springs were a 1/2" shorter than the original springs, 20.75" on the new compared to 21.25" on the old, so I just put the old springs in back in there.  I also completely flushed out every component of the fork assembly with brake cleaner and compressed air.  It was kind of gross, 56 years worth of sludge.    :P      A good part in the bottom of each fork leg didn't even want to come out and took a lot of hosing down to completely remove the sludge.  I am extremely surprised and thrilled that simply changing the seals made a huge difference on how responsive the forks are.  They used to bottom out and were a little sloppy but it feels much better now.  I refilled the the forks with 8 ounces of ATF fluid in each leg.  Now I just need to get some new rear shocks.  :)

Scottie J