Author Topic: What did you do to your Royal Enfield today?  (Read 1811531 times)

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4395 on: May 05, 2014, 10:57:57 pm
Replaced the o ring for the primary chain cover...This time I put a bit more Black RTV to see if that stops the small type f leak that I was seeing all last summer..Not as bad as I thought as almost a quart spilled out the bottom when I cracked it apart...Battery on the charger and waiting  a day or two to let the RTV cure..Hope to be up and running by the weekend..
Oh Magoo you done it again

Mr.Mazza

• Grand Gearhead
  • Upside down thumping
Reply #4396 on: May 05, 2014, 11:14:15 pm
Rode her to trade school today, only a clattery/noisy exhaust rocker/tappet, quick adjustment required at lunch ;)
Lizzy - 07 500 Deluxe ES - Red and chrome - Sold.

Catbird

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4397 on: May 06, 2014, 12:14:19 am
Yesterday, I removed the front wheel/tire from my 2013 C5 due to an air leak. Today, I took it to a local m/c shop and had them replace the innertube -- will re-install tomorrow.

(Reminder: I need to purchase my own set of tire irons so I'm ready next time.)
1972 Honda CB350 twin - sold
1976 Honda GL1000 Goldwing - sold
1996 BMW R1100RT - sold
2005 BMW R1200RT - sold
2011 Vespa GTS 300
2013 Royal Enfield C5 Military
2014 Honda CTX700N DCT
2014 Honda CB1100

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #4398 on: May 06, 2014, 02:37:04 am
I have 2 scooters, an '09 Genuine Stella 2 stroke, and a 2012 Yamaha Zuma 125. The Zuma will keep up with the Enfield up to about 60.
I used my Stella as partial payment for the RE. I still have my Yamaha Morphous.
+1 on the Vice Grips suggestion. I used one for a shift lever to get home (decades ago).

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4399 on: May 06, 2014, 02:39:50 am
Yesterday, I removed the front wheel/tire from my 2013 C5 due to an air leak. Today, I took it to a local m/c shop and had them replace the innertube -- will re-install tomorrow.

+1    Most every motorcycle parts store carries an assortment of Motion Pro tire irons between $15-$50.  I have a cheaper small pair of irons that take a little bit of effort but always get the job done.

Scottie J
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

olhogrider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4400 on: May 06, 2014, 02:46:19 am
I decided to install a battery tender type SAE pigtail. Simple, right? So when I was done I got the MIL engine light! How?WHAT? GRRRrr. Removed said plug, still had the light. Get on here and use the search function. I found Kevin's response to my question from 2010. Probably a loose wire. Go back out and wiggle all the plugs I can find. Problem solved!

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #4401 on: May 06, 2014, 05:23:02 am
You may want to ground out the single unconnected wire that is located near the computer.
There is another unconnected wire bundle with several wires connected to a multi connector.  It is not the one to ground out.  The right one only has one wire with a single wire connector.

After grounding it, turn on the key.  The MIL should flash out a series of short and long flashes.
These will tell you which sensor is giving the fault reading.  That should make finding a loose wire or bad connection easier.

This is the Royal Enfield MIL blink codes

MIL BLINK CONTENT
Engine will start but not perform to its potential. MIL will glow continuous
LONG 0 SHORT 6 Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) circuit malfunctioning
LONG 0 SHORT 9 Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) circuit malfunctioning
LONG 1 SHORT 1 Engine oil Temperature (TE) circuit malfunctioning
LONG 1 SHORT 7 O2 Sensor circuit malfunctioning
LONG 4 SHORT 5 O2 Sensor heater circuit malfunctioning

Engine will NOT Start but will crank. MIL will glow continuous
LONG 1 SHORT 5 Rollover Sensor circuit malfunctioning
LONG 3 SHORT 3 Injector circuit malfunctioning
LONG 3 SHORT 7 Ignition Coil circuit malfunctioning
LONG 4 SHORT 1 Fuel Pump circuit malfunctioning
LONG 6 SHORT 6 Crankshaft position circuit malfunctioning
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Mr.Mazza

• Grand Gearhead
  • Upside down thumping
Reply #4402 on: May 06, 2014, 01:06:32 pm
Did some scary dodging and hazard avoidance in heavy traffic today...
Heavy 3 lane start stop with speed in between is scary enough for a new rider, until I noticed rainbows in the center of the lane, big..slicky randon blops, and no chance to merge and the other lanes and it was drizzling, this lasted for 5 miles, I think a car ahead was dropping it. Time to try less traffic filled routes!
Honestly shook me up a little avoiding the oil plus crazy cagers.

On the plus side, guys at trade school like bike ;)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 01:09:55 pm by Mr.Mazza »
Lizzy - 07 500 Deluxe ES - Red and chrome - Sold.

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #4403 on: May 06, 2014, 05:29:47 pm

Oh you hearty souls who change their own tires. When I was younger & stronger I changed tires myself frequently on my scores of bikes (there was always a source of decent used tires). I had several tire irons 20" long to get the leverage needed to get most of the tires off, after setting the wheel on 2, 4x4" timbers & jumping up & down on it to break the bead. I never had any success using the 7" short toolkit tire levers.
  Now I'm not up to doing this anymore, & am content taking wheel, tube, rim tape, & my collection of spoke weights, to a good shop & paying for it to be done right & balanced. That way if THEY pinch the tube its their problem. MORAL: Every one should learn "hands - on" why they charge $30. to change a tube type motorcycle tire. But get some long tire irons, & 4x4's to set the wheel on.
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #4404 on: May 06, 2014, 06:03:42 pm
+1.  I'll rebuild my own engine, chase down any electrical gremlin, but I will not change tires any more.

Rode in to work today.  Good idea to put the tinted shield on, not such a good idea to grab the mesh jacket.  It was colder than it looked ;)  The fuel light was coming on and off the whole way, and I just got gas recently.  I guess sensor number two is on its way out.  I think I have a spare but it's also time to put a Sharpie in the tool box.

Scott

olhogrider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4405 on: May 06, 2014, 06:04:09 pm
You may want to ground out the single unconnected wire that is located near the computer.
There is another unconnected wire bundle with several wires connected to a multi connector.  It is not the one to ground out.  The right one only has one wire with a single wire connector.

After grounding it, turn on the key.  The MIL should flash out a series of short and long flashes.
These will tell you which sensor is giving the fault reading.  That should make finding a loose wire or bad connection easier.

This is the Royal Enfield MIL blink codes

MIL BLINK CONTENT
Engine will start but not perform to its potential. MIL will glow continuous
LONG 0 SHORT 6 Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) circuit malfunctioning
LONG 0 SHORT 9 Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) circuit malfunctioning
LONG 1 SHORT 1 Engine oil Temperature (TE) circuit malfunctioning
LONG 1 SHORT 7 O2 Sensor circuit malfunctioning
LONG 4 SHORT 5 O2 Sensor heater circuit malfunctioning

Engine will NOT Start but will crank. MIL will glow continuous
LONG 1 SHORT 5 Rollover Sensor circuit malfunctioning
LONG 3 SHORT 3 Injector circuit malfunctioning
LONG 3 SHORT 7 Ignition Coil circuit malfunctioning
LONG 4 SHORT 1 Fuel Pump circuit malfunctioning
LONG 6 SHORT 6 Crankshaft position circuit malfunctioning
Thanks for the list. I found it in my search but the fact that I had been just tinkering lead me to believe I had knocked something loose. If I get another code I'll use the chart but for now everything is fine.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #4406 on: May 06, 2014, 06:09:20 pm
Remember, always look in the last place you 'fixed' something ;)

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4407 on: May 06, 2014, 06:44:41 pm
  I'm thinking is was that black ground wire for the ECU, that attaches to the ground strap at the battery .  Might be a bit loose in the connector?
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

decker

• Bulleteer
Reply #4408 on: May 07, 2014, 05:46:07 pm
Checked all the bolts I could find, did a chain tightening and lube, which isn't as easy as it looks in this vid from singh5g. Stupid snail on the right side was a real pain to adjust.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4IZ6diJP9w
"Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry."
Honda cx 500 custom - stolen
Honda 450 twin - traded up
Honda 650 nighthawk - blown up
Honda Goldwing 77- restored/ traded up
Bmw F650gs - sold to buy
2013 RE G5 Deluxe- last bike?

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #4409 on: May 07, 2014, 06:21:38 pm
The fuel light was coming on and off the whole way, and I just got gas recently.  I guess sensor number

Or maybe I was just low on gas  :-[