Author Topic: What did you do to your Royal Enfield today?  (Read 1813537 times)

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #4110 on: March 22, 2014, 06:10:51 pm
.......... The correct technique for riding with strong crosswinds is to hang your knee out loosely on the side of the bike that the wind is coming from. ..........Please PLEASE don't ride leaning into the wind.

+1
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #4111 on: March 22, 2014, 08:40:22 pm
+2
moriunt omnes pauci vivunt

crush02342002

• Bulleteer
Reply #4112 on: March 22, 2014, 10:28:33 pm
Can't say I'd necessarily agree with that. I've been riding in some pretty rippy winds for the last 50+ years and never really had a problem with leaning into the wind. Learned about the wind in Wyoming!
Bare

same here, though when I lean I lean the bike not myself. I will try the knee thing though, Im always up for trying new things and learning new skills.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #4113 on: March 23, 2014, 01:05:51 am
I do both but I find it's easier to control/modulate with the knee out.  It's a really cool trick to know too.

Scott

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4114 on: March 23, 2014, 01:18:00 am
I like the knee trick most of all because it takes a lot less effort to maintain control of your bike.  When you are leaning into the wind it takes way more energy and strength trying to force your bike where you want it to go.  And like I mentioned before, when the wind dies off unexpectedly your bike WILL travel what ever direction you're leaning.  With the knee trick you just stick it out there and let it flap around, the bike doesn't hardly swerve at all and there is no tiring out from forcing the bike around.

Scottie J
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #4115 on: March 23, 2014, 03:31:55 am
getting off topic but...

Can anyone explain why this "knee trick" works?

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #4116 on: March 23, 2014, 05:28:19 am

Just a wild ass guess, but if your riding with your legs tucked in against the side of the bike the cross wind pressure has a nice relative smooth surface to blow against producing quite a bit of force in the process.  That is to say, all of the square inches of area of the tank, your leg, the tool boxes, fenders (mud guards) can receive the total force of the wind.

If your leg is hanging out into the airstream it creates a turbulence which breaks up the constant side blast so areas of the motorcycle like the rear of the tank, the tool box cover and rear fender that were getting the full side blast are no longer getting it.

Anyway, What did I do today?
I rode the 220 miles from Flagstaff, Arizona back to my home in Phoenix.

I didn't ride the shorter 'superslab' I-17 which is really boring even if it is 80 miles less distance.
Those 140 miles on I-17  are posted with speed limits of 75 mph so you know everyone else is going at least 85 with some up in the 90's.

Instead I rode the State Route 89 from Flagstaff past Lake Mary and Mormon lake to Clint's Well and then route 87 down thru Strawberry, Pine, Payson to Fountain Hills.
Beautiful ride between Payson and Flag' thru thick Pondorosa Pine forests.

The high temperatures in Flagstaff got up into the 50's (F) with lows around 20 (F).
Some stretches of road between Flagstaff and Payson still have snow along both sides but the air temperature was in the mid 40's (F).

From Payson the ride rapidly drops down into the grasslands and then to the Sonora Desert where the temperatures were in the high 70's and low 80's. :)
Good riding weather.

The G5 didn't miss a beat during the entire trip getting about 76 mpg.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Barnone

• Scooter
Reply #4117 on: March 23, 2014, 12:52:34 pm
Nothing,don't own a RE but still looking.

Saw this one at Gene's Holopaw while there test riding 2014 Urals.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 12:55:46 pm by Barnone »
Vince
2021 Ural CT sidecar
2020 Ice Bear 150 cc scooter
2021 Ice Bear 150 cc scooter
Fort Myers,FL or Robbinsville,NC

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #4118 on: March 23, 2014, 02:39:32 pm
If your leg is hanging out into the airstream it creates a turbulence which breaks up the constant side blast so areas of the motorcycle like the rear of the tank, the tool box cover and rear fender that were getting the full side blast are no longer getting it.

+1
Learned that indispensable trick riding the Fairfield Bench in Montana.
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #4119 on: March 23, 2014, 02:46:27 pm
getting off topic but...

Similar reason why they put a jetty out from the beach. It breaks up the wave front.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #4120 on: March 23, 2014, 04:19:39 pm
Nothing,don't own a RE but still looking.

Saw this one at Gene's Holopaw while there test riding 2014 Urals.
BTW,  Gene is a real good guy. I bought many new old stock URAL parts from him, for my 1994 Ural. He would always send me the parts immediately, with the invoice enclosed for me to pay. Who does that anymore? Next time You see him tell him I said Hello.
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #4121 on: March 23, 2014, 05:09:54 pm
re. the knee trick...

If you guys say so!  I kind of figured that whether you stick your knee out or not, it doesn't really change the side surface area you present to the wind...

I'll be sure to give it a try next time I'm battling the gales!

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4122 on: March 23, 2014, 05:17:09 pm
re. the knee trick...

If you guys say so!  I kind of figured that whether you stick your knee out or not, it doesn't really change the side surface area you present to the wind...

When I first learned it I wanted to kick myself in the teeth for not learning it sooner.  How does it work?  I don't know.  Freaking science I guess!  I just know it is a total game changer once you put it in your arsenal of riding techniques.

Scottie J
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4123 on: March 23, 2014, 05:32:33 pm

And another one is coming  :o..... THIS WEEK !

I also found that throwing both knees out and leaning forward, stabilizes the bike. With heavy head on winds or buffeting when blasting by a tractor trailer... or a tracker trailer blast past you. ...... More Science.   
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4124 on: March 23, 2014, 06:04:50 pm
Changed my oil for the first time today. Other than spilling a little and burning my arm on the pipe, everything went fine. Fortunately I had put a large piece of cardboard under the bike, so it didn't really make a mess. I had rocked the bike back and forth to get all the oil out, or so I thought, and left the plug and strainer out while I removed the filter. I leaned the bike to the right to drain the oil out of where the filter goes, and a whole bunch more came out the drain plug. I had moved the drain pan to catch what came out from under the the filter area,  so it poured out on the cardboard. I was surprised at the lack of metal shavings that I found, not very much. I was expecting a handful. I also found what looked like a piece of string, and some fuzzy stuff that looked like cotton on the screen. Have no idea where that came from. Next time I'll know what to expect and it will be a lot easier and not as messy. Went for a 20 mile ride, ran beautifully.
"I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker"
"Buy the ticket, take the ride" Hunter S. Thompson