Author Topic: What did you do to your Royal Enfield today?  (Read 1812001 times)

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #4095 on: March 21, 2014, 08:01:08 am
Finally got the bike back together.  I took it apart I think around a month ago.  Work, family, the car broke down, etc.  And it's raining so the bike was lowest on the list.  Tonight I finally got some time and got it mostly back together for a test ride.  Here's what I did:

-Re-sealed the valve cover gaskets with Permatex high tack sealant (thanks Bare).
-Made and installed a new headstay, the old one cracked.  The new one is 50% thicker.
-Rewired the charging system.  New 14ga. wires from the alternator to the reg/rect and 10ga. lines from the reg/rect straight to the battery.
-New 6ga. ultra flexible battery cables to replace the original crappy ones.
-Re-routed the throttle cables and now they don't bind at all.  They were really sticky at full right lock.  Took a while to get it just right.
-Greased the speedo cable.
-Lubed the throttle and clutch cables.
-New exhaust manifold gasket and re-hung the muffler.

I think the charging system re-wire is working.  The bike gets 13V just over idle.  The connectors from Oregon Motorcycle Parts worked really well, good quality brass terminals.  I'm hoping I can bump up from the 30W to the 55/60W headlight now without eating batteries.  I'll install the new battery and check voltages soon, then try the larger headlight.  I need to clean the bike up a little and bolt the oval tool box back on.  Then when that all shakes out I can get to mounting the new Dunstall muffler and maybe a little tuning.

It was pretty cold outside but it felt really good to get out for a ride, even just to shake things out.

Scott
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 08:03:31 am by Ducati Scotty »

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #4096 on: March 21, 2014, 11:29:33 am
Scott - that's great news about the charging system rewire!  I hope it works for you... let us know!

Good for you getting out on the bike - I've promised myself that I'd get on the road before the end of March, but I'm away from home now and I go back to my week-long work next Wednesday... which leaves me only Sunday-Tuesday to get it un-winterized and running.  Sunday may be my best bet; it's supposed to warm up all the way to 33℉.  Followed by another cold snap...  :(

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #4097 on: March 22, 2014, 12:17:56 am
I'm almost ashamed to post this here.
I feel so sorry for all you guys shivering in the freezer.
Here's a sample of my vernal equinox ride:
cobblestones and miles and miles of me alone on the road: wow
moriunt omnes pauci vivunt

FiRE Comms

• Bulleteer
  • '11 C5
Reply #4098 on: March 22, 2014, 12:35:57 am
wrecked it :(
Chris

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #4099 on: March 22, 2014, 12:49:00 am
Mate!!

Damn..very sorry to hear. What happened..?
Sons continuing wars, our fathers were enemies

FiRE Comms

• Bulleteer
  • '11 C5
Reply #4100 on: March 22, 2014, 01:39:04 am
Mate!!

Damn..very sorry to hear. What happened..?

left hand turn from a 4 lane divided, pkwy crossed 2 lanes only to find that there was one of those "T" wedge curb things right In front of me.  hard braking and trying to avoid the obstacle didn't work.  bike went down on it's right side. 

damage includes h/l ring, front fender, r tool box, r peg, tank, handle bars, my 2 day old reverse cone, r/r blinker, and the bird house are all messed up.  helmet has a scuff on the l/r quadrant, jacket has a hard scuff on l scapula, and l elbow
Chris

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #4101 on: March 22, 2014, 01:50:34 am
wrecked it :(

Rub some dirt on that, it'll be good as new. ;)

Rest easy for now.  Fix you first.

Scott

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #4102 on: March 22, 2014, 02:45:37 am
 :(

Rest easy for now.  Fix you first.

+1
Sons continuing wars, our fathers were enemies

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4103 on: March 22, 2014, 02:55:54 am
Sorry to hear.    :(     

+1  Get Yourself Better 
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

windhorserider

• Rider of The Windhorse.
  • Scooter
  • I'd rather be in New Orleans.
Reply #4104 on: March 22, 2014, 04:28:06 am
I took a ride. About a 700 miles worth of ride through the piney woods of east Texas.  Started out of Dallas and went to Edom, Texas where I have some old friends who are a part of an artist colony there.  I had a good visit and left after lunch down 314 to 315, a road/ride featured in Ride Texas a few months back. I had driven it several times dreaming of riding it: it did not disappoint.  The road has some nice elevation changes with twists and turns tucked into the woods and farmland.  I stopped a few times to refuel and hydrate and always was asked about the bike. “Nice.”
I stayed on the back roads past Palestine and Elkhart and rode down through the Davy Crocket Nat’l Forest then moved east to the Angelina Forest. I knew I wanted to run down through the Big Thicket off the Neches River so I swung over to Jasper. There I spent the night at Martin Dies, Jr. State Park. The state parks in Texas are well maintained, from my point of view, and the only disturbance I had was guys stopping by the campsite asking about the bike, how far I come, where was I headed, etc.     
A cold front came in that night and the next morning the winds were strong. I had come ready for the cold and as long as I was headed south the wind proved, most of the time, to work to my advantage. But after running down the roads tracing Pine Island Bayou I turned west out of Beaumont on I-10 headed for Winnie. The wind became problematic. I will say the bike held its line, yes; I had to lean into the wind and stay vigilant, but the skidmasters did OK (yes, I'm still riding the skidmasters). This was a good, that the bike could hold in a crosswind, because I jockeyed over to High Island and shot down the Bolivar Peninsula to catch the ferry to Galveston. There are only sand dunes and the Galveston Bay and between the north wind and the Gulf of Mexico on the Peninsula, with the exception of State Hwy 87.           
I am amazed the two lane state roads are now 70 and 75 mph here in Texas. I stay off the interstate because I like the back roads, but as I shot back up to Dallas from Galveston a few days later I felt safer on the super-slab because cars and trucks have a lane to pass me. I also didn't have to deal with the oncoming windwash of trucks moving at 75 to 80. I may have to rethink some of my philosophy.                                                                                                   
2013 Bullet B5
2007 Ruckus
Past Rides:
CL360, CB750K, CX500C, XS1100, KE100, HD Panhead, Goldwing

The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. -Hunter S. Thompson

windhorserider

• Rider of The Windhorse.
  • Scooter
  • I'd rather be in New Orleans.
Reply #4105 on: March 22, 2014, 04:43:16 am
On the ferry, funny thing is I knew Bob (Robert H.) before he passed on.
2013 Bullet B5
2007 Ruckus
Past Rides:
CL360, CB750K, CX500C, XS1100, KE100, HD Panhead, Goldwing

The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. -Hunter S. Thompson

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4106 on: March 22, 2014, 01:50:32 pm
Sounds like you had a great ride!

I need to comment on your method of handling cross winds though.  Leaning into the wind to compensate for cross winds is not only dangerous but very unpredictable.  Using this method can put you into oncoming traffic OR into the ditch or a tree faster than your brain can react to what is happening.  What happens is as a strong wind comes across, you lean to compensate.  Now the wind dies as fast as it came on, your bike is still leaning and is going to go whatever direction you're leaning which can lead to serious trouble.  The correct technique for riding with strong crosswinds is to hang your knee out loosely on the side of the bike that the wind is coming from.  For example, if the wind is blowing towards the left side of the bike, hang your left knee out into the wind.  You know, like ride like you're bow legged on that side.  But it is important to leave your leg loose and relaxed, not tense.  This causes your leg to act as a damper and will blow your leg around instead of your entire bike.  This will enable to you to keep the bike upright and still hold a straight line.  It's super easy, is less tiring and much safer than leaning into the wind.

Please PLEASE don't ride leaning into the wind.

Scottie J
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #4107 on: March 22, 2014, 03:22:24 pm
On the ferry, funny thing is I knew Bob (Robert H.) before he passed on.

*snicker*
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

Norm

• Bulleteer
  • Ride it daily for best results.
Reply #4108 on: March 22, 2014, 03:39:35 pm
Very, very nice!  I'm sure the Moto Guzzi owners are jealous of how nice your motorcycle looks!   ;D
Ride like you are invisible.
Arizona

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4109 on: March 22, 2014, 06:05:39 pm
Please PLEASE don't ride leaning into the wind.

Can't say I'd necessarily agree with that. I've been riding in some pretty rippy winds for the last 50+ years and never really had a problem with leaning into the wind. Learned about the wind in Wyoming!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com