Author Topic: What did you do to your Royal Enfield today?  (Read 1811449 times)

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #4005 on: February 18, 2014, 12:01:50 am
And yes, I too think it matches the bike perfectly  8)

Such a lovely bike. There is surely something about the look of that engine (iron barrel) that always brings a smile.

Next mod on the list, traditional right-hand/side shift?  ;)
Sons continuing wars, our fathers were enemies

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #4006 on: February 18, 2014, 02:12:34 am
I do not disagree with them goodlooking, how could I? They look as if intended for the bullet: the proof is in the picture.
My concern with them is with rain, or do you live in all sunshine country?  :D
moriunt omnes pauci vivunt

azcatfan

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2002 Bullet ES
Reply #4007 on: February 18, 2014, 02:33:50 am
Quote from: GreenMachine
Next mod on the list, traditional right-hand/side shift?

Next mod is the exhaust and re-jet.  After that I'll stick to the three R's - Ride till it breaks, Repair, Repeat...

I do not disagree with them goodlooking, how could I? They look as if intended for the bullet: the proof is in the picture.
My concern with them is with rain, or do you live in all sunshine country?  :D

I do, I live in Arizona where we have roughly 350 good riding days a year.  I don't like riding in the rain, and the RE is kept in the garage  :)
-2002 Bullet ES Up-Jetted with Ace Air Canister and punched HD Exhaust.

My MotoVlog Channel:  http://tinyurl.com/nnso3av

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #4008 on: February 18, 2014, 03:06:12 am
Ace puts a matte clear on the top so it doesn't laser beam anything.

Scott

azcatfan

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2002 Bullet ES
Reply #4009 on: February 20, 2014, 02:05:43 pm
Rode it to work this morning for the first time ever using a modular helmet, picked one up for $100 on sale yesterday.  It kind of un-nerved me not being able to hear the valves as well as with my half-lid...   :o
-2002 Bullet ES Up-Jetted with Ace Air Canister and punched HD Exhaust.

My MotoVlog Channel:  http://tinyurl.com/nnso3av

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #4010 on: February 20, 2014, 05:54:58 pm
Old Royal Enfield saying:

"LOUD VALVES SAVE LIVES"
   ;D
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #4011 on: February 20, 2014, 11:04:19 pm
My 2010 RE G5 Deluxe finally got the chance to do something for ME today. It was cloudy & very warm here, & what with injuries, illnesses, bad weather, it was my first opportunity to get out for a decent RIDE in some time. My wife was doing the "books" today, figuring out how to pay all the extra doctor bills, & mentioned I should sell off some of my equipment. Although I wasn't feeling quite tops, I was out the door like a shot, & off on the Enfield. This was a impetuous but subtle way of saying NOT THE BIKE!  Oddly enough I felt better physically when I returned. I guess where the spirit goes the body follows. My spirit soared all afternoon.
  Seems I remember someone inquiring about the COMFORT of the Large Lycette type SOLO SEAT: All told it is a keeper. It has enough spring to be easy on the fanny & supportive. The Solo & Pillion combination is actually slightly higher than the bench seat, so I needed to kick a little higher throwing a leg over. I had hoped it would be a little closer to the ground, & had to scoot forward toward to the front of the seat, to put both feet on the ground. This is because the rear of the seat is actually wider than the bikes frame. A little narrower Trials width Seat would be just perfect, & I may trade for one eventually. The Bench seat lends itself to sportier cornering-anchoring the rider more rigidly to the bike. I am pretty happy with the looks & function of the early style seating for my medium aggressive style of riding.
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #4012 on: February 20, 2014, 11:30:41 pm
One of the rules the Knight Templars had to abide by concerned their horse. Even when threatened with starvation they could not slaughter it, not even to feed others. The only way not to be held an oath-breaker was for it to die in battle.
I guess this goes for us and our motorcycles too. Our bike is our health, we care for it, it keeps us in high spirits.  :)
moriunt omnes pauci vivunt

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4013 on: February 21, 2014, 06:21:28 pm
Why sell something that makes you feel good...GreenMachine is inside the garage with the battery out of her...I was thinking of putting it back in but I know this mild weather is just a tease till mid march...The outer case has developed enough of a leak whereas the Tranf fluid has made a decent size oil patch on the cardboard underneath the bottom...Need to address that and make sure she doesn't run dry on that primary chain...
Oh Magoo you done it again

TejK

• Bulleteer
  • 'BlACk'
Reply #4014 on: February 23, 2014, 08:51:37 am
Washed the bike today .

And for some stupid reason thought to open up the TM34 and give a good cleaning. Opened it up and pulled out all the jets and then thought lets pull out the needle jet and clean it up to.

So a light tap with the mallet and the slightly stuck needle jet flew out of the carb body straight into the drain !!! A mad scramble after that to try to locate the needle jet was all but in vain ! Now I have a carb but not the needle jet ! :-[!

So put back the old BS32 carb on the bike  :(

Any one has a spare 389 P6 needle jet they may want to get rid off ? Help !!

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4015 on: February 23, 2014, 02:05:35 pm
LAME!!!   ::)  How many times do I have to tell you guys that repairing bikes the same way I do isn't the most productive way to do things?!   ;D  Just Kidding  ;)  But totally sounds like something that would have happened to me.

As for me, given the current circumstances and weather, I decided rather than dropping a bunch of money to Hitchcock's for a few random parts I'd try tearing apart the primary,  AGAIN, to see what I could do.  First problem I ran into, when trying to remove the alternator adapter ring, the upper left screw that holds the ring on didn't want to come out, and for whatever reason, that one screw head the "straight head" sheared off with the impact.  YAY!    >:(   So then I decide that it would be best to remove the rotor before I start drilling on the alternator bracket, for obvious reasons.  Upon whacking the rotor with a mallet while prying from behind, the adapter ring just breaks.  No, I didn't hit it with the mallet, apparently it is cast with lovely pot metal.  (Pot - Pretty Awesome. Metal - Hell Yeah!  POT METAL = BULLSHIT!)  Soooooooo, I get the screw head mostly drilled out, said eff the bracket and broke it the rest of the way off of the screw so I could get at it, grab it with a Vice Grips and it come right.   >:(  :o   ???  >:(

OK, so I get the rotor off, get the crank nut off and pull the crank sprocket and the 3 Allen screws that have been a beeotch and killed 3 different alternators for me.  Hold a screw up to my 5/16 - 24 tap that I used on other parts of the bike and threads are damn close.  Make a run down to Ace Hardware (The Helpful Place    ;) ) and find 3 screws that are black oxide coated (SS screws they only had in coarse thread)  and head back home.  Greased up the tap and started running it in the holes and they chased right through, hardly removing any metal at all.  Spent about 10 minutes spraying brake cleaner and compressed air through the holes to make sure they were good clean.  And for the moment of truth?  2 of the bolts torqued right in with intermittent bumps of the cordless impact.  But the one screw that was giving me most trouble, and showed signs of a thread or 2 being sheared off, just spun right thru the threads.   >:(  >:(  >:(  OK, no biggie, we can fix this.  Back to Ace for a helicoil.....  Only have 5/16 - 18    >:(  After several minutes of debate I decided I'll get the coarse thread helicoil and put in an odd ball screw in that hole.  As I'm at the checkout getting ready to spend $35 + dollars to fix 1 stupid thread I have an epiphany "Dude!  Just fill the threads with JB Weld and retap it!"  So I abort the helicoil plan and go for some JB Stik, they don't have it.  So I go across the street to Advance, they are out.  So I go to the other Advance 5 miles away (where I used to work).  Get there and my old co-worker pointed out to me that JB Stik is only rated at 900psi and that it usually crumbles when you cut threads into it.  So I got the JB Marine Weld, which is chemical and oil resistant, water proof, safe up to 550*F and has a tensile strength of like 3200psi.

So what was supposed to be a couple hour job, turned into an entire afternoon of running around from store to store.  Hopefully later this morning or early afternoon the JB Weld should be cured enough for me to go out there and cut some new threads and button up the job for now.  I'll just leave the alternator off for now I guess until I feel like spending some actual money on the bike.

Scottie J
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

TejK

• Bulleteer
  • 'BlACk'
Reply #4016 on: February 23, 2014, 05:18:22 pm
ROFL !!

Reading your day's activities, mine seems petty ! Anyway ordered a new P6 today and hopefully should have it within a few days. Got to be more careful while doing routine work on the bike.

Why can't we just leave the bike as it is when its running good !!  :-*

Guess that's another story about love for the bullet!

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #4017 on: February 23, 2014, 10:58:51 pm
If your interested Scottie J, cast aluminum has a strength of 19,000 to 88,000 PSI tensile strength depending on the alloy type and heat treatment.

Even using the 19,000 PSI strength material, that's still almost 6 times stronger than your JB epoxy.

Don't be surprised when your newly made epoxy threads strip out.

Also, don't get the idea that your JB epoxy can actually hold 3200 pounds of force.  It takes a whole square inch worth of that material to withstand that much load before it fails.

Plan on buying a Heli-Coil insert and its tap so you can fix it right. :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #4018 on: February 23, 2014, 11:35:06 pm
The beauty of Scottie's plan us that the JB will easily be expelled with no trace by the helicoil tap :)  Perfect backup plan!

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4019 on: February 24, 2014, 01:11:03 pm
If your interested Scottie J, cast aluminum has a strength of 19,000 to 88,000 PSI tensile strength depending on the alloy type and heat treatment.

Even using the 19,000 PSI strength material, that's still almost 6 times stronger than your JB epoxy.

Don't be surprised when your newly made epoxy threads strip out.

Also, don't get the idea that your JB epoxy can actually hold 3200 pounds of force.  It takes a whole square inch worth of that material to withstand that much load before it fails.

Plan on buying a Heli-Coil insert and its tap so you can fix it right. :)

Yep, the JB Weld flopped like I half way expected it to.  As far as buying the right helicoil and tap kit....  Ummmm, I did mention that they didn't have the correct size.  Didn't I?  Fuck it.  I'm just going to roll the damn thing out to the dumpster and let it be someone else's problem.      :P

Scottie J
2001 Harley Davidson Road King