Author Topic: What did you do to your Royal Enfield today?  (Read 1811907 times)

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #3960 on: February 09, 2014, 04:08:31 pm
Stopped by my local dealer here in Minneapolis GOMOTOMN.COM for an Enfield enthusiast night.  Got to see and pet my beloved B5.  Good conversation with others & free pizza !

Thanks Marty !
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #3961 on: February 09, 2014, 06:01:55 pm
Scottie, Hate to be gloomy, but the crosshead slots do wear out on pan headed screws, & are hard to tighten properly. A set of stainless allen heads are nice & won't wear that way. BUT there is a chance the threads into the Aluminum are wallowed loose & allowing the screws to come out. guess this should be determined before you buy new screws. I hope it's not that, a big pain to tap new threads. Perhaps a mild thread locking product would help (blue Loctite?) good luck.
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3962 on: February 09, 2014, 06:23:35 pm
Scottie, Hate to be gloomy, but the crosshead slots do wear out on pan headed screws, & are hard to tighten properly. A set of stainless allen heads are nice & won't wear that way. BUT there is a chance the threads into the Aluminum are wallowed loose & allowing the screws to come out. guess this should be determined before you buy new screws. I hope it's not that, a big pain to tap new threads. Perhaps a mild thread locking product would help (blue Loctite?) good luck.

I know what you're talking about Craig and that is a concern I need to address.  If the holes are in fact wallowed then I will replace them with metric stainless screws and retap the holes accordingly.  Hopefully this isn't the case.  I think the bigger problem is that the Allen heads are so stripped that I don't think I can get enough torque on them to actually bite down tight on anything.  Good news, they all came loose so I won't have to worry about NOT getting them back out!  LOL    ;D   My plan is to remove the primary and hose out the threaded holes real good with brake cleaner, use a fair amount of blue Loctite, drive them in with the cordless impact, and let it dry for 24 hours before I put any oil back in there.  Did I mention I'm so excited about being on my 3rd alternator in 1 year.    >:(

Scottie J
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #3963 on: February 09, 2014, 06:32:59 pm
BE CAREFUL WITH THAT IMPACT. ALUMINUM SAYS "ZIP NO THREADS". You'd be better off if you don't have new allens yet, to cut cross slots with a hacksaw that you can grab with a flathead screw driver, to use until your stainless allens arrive.  Good luck.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3964 on: February 09, 2014, 06:53:45 pm
I rarely pull a full trigger with that thing.  The only time I've torn out threads with a small cordless impact was when the threads were crap to begin with.  ;)

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #3965 on: February 09, 2014, 09:57:59 pm
Your threads are crap to begin with.  At least now they are.

Use your impact wrench.  Then you won't have to ask if you need to rethread the holes.  You'll already know the answer.

If there is enough material around the threaded holes, consider installing metric heli-coils.  Not only are they steel but they spread the load out over a larger area so they can take slightly heavier loads. :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #3966 on: February 09, 2014, 10:22:29 pm
Damn.

Stock battery? Time to change it  :-X

It is nearly 3 years old, so I silently counted on it being decrepit.  ;)
Alas, all tests showed it is in good working condition.
The coupler to the RR unit seemed to be not tight. I pressed it together.
Then I was called away. Damn, further testing postponed till tomorrow.

@High on Octane
Alternators are mighty expensive.
This Electra's casing is still tight fitted.
But there have been mystery blow-outs from the oil pump into the airfilter (not because of overfilling; level is below 50%). All that is behind this casing. Cursed cover?

Bottomline, I have three bikes and I can't ride none of them.
Six wheels, still condemned to two legs. Purgatory, things can only improve.  ;D
moriunt omnes pauci vivunt

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #3967 on: February 10, 2014, 01:37:58 am
Made a nice new set of battery/starter cables with my new ultra-flexible battery cable from McMaster Carr.  I also rerouted the positive battery line.  It's going to be so much easier to get the damn battery in.  The stock lines were crap.  Maybe 8 gauge and stiff as hell, and the negative lead was only 10. 

I also lubed and rerouted the throttle cables since they weren't snapping back at full right lock.

And while I was doing all this I found my head stay had snapped.  So that's what that weird noise from the engine was!

Scott

Blairio

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3968 on: February 10, 2014, 05:09:02 am
re. the pan-head screws discussion:  All my 2 year old UK G5's motor's covers are retained by stainless allen bolts, on copper washers.  That is how it came from the factory. Is that not the same for US market models?

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #3969 on: February 10, 2014, 11:34:26 am
Blario -

My "US market" three-year-old B5 has the same hardware as yours.  However, Scottie's bike is 60(ish) years old, so I'm guessing it's a bit different...  ;)

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3970 on: February 10, 2014, 01:18:05 pm
Yep, officially 56 years old this year.  Maybe I'll just buy some metric stainless screws and retap them.

Scottie

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #3971 on: February 10, 2014, 03:03:44 pm
Hey Scottie, I owned one British bike( can't remember which-Triumph maybe) that had some Cap Nuts on the Primary Cover. In other words it had several Studs, & the rest Screws holding the Cover. Perhaps Studs (firmly JB Welded in) could be used for the electrical component, & Screws in the less critical areas? Just a thought.

Blairio

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3972 on: February 10, 2014, 03:18:50 pm
Scottie,
apologies, I didn't realise your bike was that old.  My own old bike (Frannie B Falcon) turned 60 this year, and doesn't have a single allen bolt to its nameā€¦.yet.

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #3973 on: February 10, 2014, 08:42:01 pm
Yesterday ended with noticing something fishy with the coupler to the RR unit. That would be the first item to test today. The problem popped right into sight: the red pin was pushed back.
It was still harder than I thought to fix it. Lots of wriggling with a tweezer to push it back to where it actually locks in place.
Putting everything back together and a final check. Battery is charging again, all's well and not a penny spent.
Hurray  ;D
moriunt omnes pauci vivunt

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #3974 on: February 11, 2014, 12:51:10 am
Yep, officially 56 years old this year.  Maybe I'll just buy some metric stainless screws and retap them.

Scottie

bronze screws might look better ....
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5