Author Topic: What did you do to your Royal Enfield today?  (Read 1811669 times)

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #3945 on: February 05, 2014, 09:37:23 pm
Some of them are meant for ATVs and aren't very rigid, they can press levers at speed.

Scott

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #3946 on: February 05, 2014, 11:33:44 pm
Ok, I see.
The old leather ones that you see on swap meetings would do that too.
We don't see ATV's much: banned in any city or village. You can buy them, not ride them; except on your own turf, lawn,...  ;)
moriunt omnes pauci vivunt

Rich Mintz

• Grand Gearhead
  • Daily rider in the city
Reply #3947 on: February 06, 2014, 12:06:19 am
I'm pleased to report that I rode the 2 miles home from work today, despite the weather. The street surface was clear and dry, except in a couple of places, but there was slush all along the margins. Still, I rode carefully and felt safe. I did have to dig out a parking place to stash the bike in at the destination, though!
Rich Mintz - New York City
richmintz@richmintz.com
2010 Royal Enfield Bullet C5 • 2015 SYM Symba
[/URL]

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #3948 on: February 06, 2014, 01:12:46 am
Rich - interesting: your mitts don't cover the switches, and have an "opposable thumb" for them - which I haven't seen before.  Where did you get them?

Rich Mintz

• Grand Gearhead
  • Daily rider in the city
Rich Mintz - New York City
richmintz@richmintz.com
2010 Royal Enfield Bullet C5 • 2015 SYM Symba
[/URL]

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3950 on: February 06, 2014, 02:07:38 am
Those are nice!  Now I want a pair!   :)

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

crush02342002

• Bulleteer
Reply #3951 on: February 07, 2014, 01:08:13 am
nothing at all >:(...cause its cold and im broke

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #3952 on: February 07, 2014, 01:28:20 am
nothing at all >:(...cause its cold and im broke

+1.  But definitely more cold than broke.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #3953 on: February 07, 2014, 01:35:56 am
me too... more colder and more broker!  15℉ and a foot of new snow here on the Maine coast.  Plus, I just ordered a new AGM battery, a Firstgear thermo suit, and a pair of longer mounting bars for my windshield (though I'm losing patience with it - it may be for sale before too long if I can't solve my wind noise issues!  >:( ).  Now to sort out my battery cable replacements...

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #3954 on: February 07, 2014, 03:54:12 am
Was hoping to ride to workover today and tomorrow, but same same it's snowing here, too.
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3955 on: February 07, 2014, 12:44:37 pm
It's been in negative temps in Denver for the last 3 days.  Supposed to warm up to 20*F today.  WooHoo!  Heat wave!  LOL    ;D

Scottie

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #3956 on: February 08, 2014, 07:10:37 am
Nothing with the bike, but I found out my moto boots are great in the snow.  I dragged my 4 year old son over the the local hill to go sledding.  After a big, painful face full of snow he decided it was not his cup of tea, but we still did a few more runs.

Scott

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #3957 on: February 08, 2014, 11:56:47 pm
Shortly before noon my daughter called if I could pick her up.
After spending 3 days washing and tinkering I jumped at the occasion.
All's well until we are half way on the return trip.
Battery out of juice, in the best possible place: long, busy road, housing wide apart, drizzle.
Took some sweat to push bike back to a village where I had seen a gas station. At least we would be out of the rain. It turned out better: it had a garage, and there were people hobbying on a stock car.
They gently provided a battery charger, and the long wait could begin.
My daughter called a relative to get her home.
A couple hours later rain stopped, a bleak setting sun emerged, and the charger light flashed.
Kicked the bike to life; first kick as usual to the delight of the crew. Didn't dare to use the lights, even with the setting sun. Traffic was low. Got home safely.
Too dark and too tired now to trouble search. Tomorrow will do.
moriunt omnes pauci vivunt

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #3958 on: February 09, 2014, 12:34:25 pm
Damn.

Stock battery? Time to change it  :-X
Sons continuing wars, our fathers were enemies

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3959 on: February 09, 2014, 03:04:19 pm
I was putting around town ( yeah, putting around ;D  ) when I noticed an unusual rattle that I hadn't picked up on before.  I also started to notice that burning epoxy smell again.  And then it dawned on me and everything made sense.  I NOW know the REAL reason that I keep burning up alternators left and right.  The 3 Allen pan head bolts that hold the primary cover to the engine case are freaking shot apparently.  The last couple of times before winter hit that I went on a descent length ride, I had noticed my primary had come slightly loose, didn't think much of it other than to tighten it back down.  Well, riding around yesterday, I hear this weird rattle, and I look down and I can see the primary cover rattling there,  I grab it and I can move it around about 3/4".  So, the reason my alternators keep burning up is because the Primary keeps coming loose and the alternator drops down and sits on top of the rotor just grinding away at it.  Looks like the bike is going to be parked for a bit until I can get some parts ordered from Richcock's. (My new name for them as they charge way too much money for parts just because no one else has them.)

Scottie