Author Topic: What did you do to your Royal Enfield today?  (Read 1811716 times)

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #3855 on: January 17, 2014, 01:15:41 pm
The install really looks good, Craig! And NOTHIN' beats real leather! How's it for comfort?
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #3856 on: January 17, 2014, 04:44:16 pm
The install really looks good, Craig! And NOTHIN' beats real leather! How's it for comfort?
Hi, Comfort? I'll know more once I ride it awhile. But on first impression, I noticed the rigid wedge shape of the seat frame, the internal springs, & the seats coil spring suspension, do offer some cush. I don't believe it will be any problem, as I have spent many hours riding on Denfield & Pagusa Rubber Solos, on my old BMW's, URAL's Etc. I can always add a Fleece cover for summertime & long rides.
  Last time I priced real Shearling Fleece Covers - I went to Wal Mart & bought a Black Shag Toilet Lid Cover for $9.95 for my Ural. They work really well, & can soften the edges of a brick.
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #3857 on: January 17, 2014, 05:46:58 pm
Hi, Comfort? I'll know more once I ride it awhile. But on first impression, I noticed the rigid wedge shape of the seat frame, the internal springs, & the seats coil spring suspension, do offer some cush. I don't believe it will be any problem, as I have spent many hours riding on Denfield & Pagusa Rubber Solos, on my old BMW's, URAL's Etc. I can always add a Fleece cover for summertime & long rides.
  Last time I priced real Shearling Fleece Covers - I went to Wal Mart & bought a Black Shag Toilet Lid Cover for $9.95 for my Ural. They work really well, & can soften the edges of a brick.

I put the NFieldGear version of your seat on my '08 a couple years ago & like it just fine. Of course, I don't ride hundreds of miles a week like you. It just hurts too damn much (not the seat, just me as a whole unit).

I like the black fake sheepskin toilet seat cover idea. A bit of elastic tape could be stitched around a piece cut to fit & look pretty cool. I could lie & say it was yak  :D

I made a custom seat cover for the DS I had in the '70s out of a huge piece of fake sheepskin I found at a remnant store. It saved the blue velour from the in & out of my Levis for 12 years.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 05:50:19 pm by tooseevee »
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

motomataya

• Grease Monkey
Reply #3858 on: January 17, 2014, 08:04:11 pm
Magoo,
Cobra has just what you need for a small heat shield. Part # 99-0155P

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #3859 on: January 18, 2014, 01:29:44 am
I got my heat shield at the local Harley graveyard store.
It was one of the few things they had that was reasonably priced.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

ge0ff

• Scooter
Reply #3860 on: January 18, 2014, 06:35:06 am
Replaced the stock chain with a tsubaki o-ring, and my dealer kindly replaced the upswept silencer that didn't even make it to 3000km before imploding with this Australian made custom number, the M16.
Never heard of it but it sounds pretty damn good!
Can anyone recommend a small heat shield?!

I thought i saw your bike parked at JCS, i stopped there for a new spark plug. I saw that silencer hanging on the wall behind the parts counter......yours still had the upswept on it when I was there.

Ho do you like it? Can you post a video of the sound?

Are you going on tomorrows Run to the Hills ride with PCR?

Magoo

• Bulleteer
Reply #3861 on: January 18, 2014, 07:14:38 am
Hey Geoff.
It's made by Outercycle manufacturing in Vic.
JCS stopped stocking the Indian made upswepts, rightly so, total POS.
It's pretty throaty...nice thump on idle and a good blat when it gets going.
Slight performance increase too which was a nice surprise.
I'll check out the PCR ride deets now!

ge0ff

• Scooter
Reply #3862 on: January 18, 2014, 08:57:21 am
Well hopefully you come to the ride tomorrow so I can hear it!

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3863 on: January 18, 2014, 09:25:03 pm
Charged up the battery good and took a ride downtown to The Bonneville Shop to finally pick up a new alternator.  Was a great day for a ride!  About 50°F and the Blackhawk is tuned so good for this weather!  I just can't get over how well this bike runs at this altitude.  Can't wait to upgrade the 18 tooth sprocket for a 21.  It should really tear it up then!

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #3864 on: January 19, 2014, 12:45:57 am
My G5 Deluxe is indoors, sipping at the HARBOR FREIGHT $9.95 Float Charger today, & looked achingly good with the New Seats, yearning for warmer weather, ready to go, & aimed at the garage door.
  I was only able to stop & share a moment with it, before heading out to run errands in a vehicle with a heater.
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

The_Rigger

• Grease Monkey
  • Mom Always Liked You Better...
Reply #3865 on: January 19, 2014, 02:08:49 am
Those seats look good, Craig...  Nice install.
-Dave
2012 C5 Special
Central Michigan, USA (when I'm not working somewhere else)

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #3866 on: January 19, 2014, 04:44:19 am
...sipping at the HARBOR FREIGHT $9.95 Float Charger today...

Speaking of HF, at their last parking lot sale I got an "Open Box" special on a bench drill press with a 1/2" key-less chuck for $50. All that was wrong was a busted plastic knob (fixed with Super Glue). Works great. Oughtta last a long time.  :)
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3867 on: January 19, 2014, 12:52:03 pm
My G5 Deluxe is indoors, sipping at the HARBOR FREIGHT $9.95 Float Charger today, & looked achingly good with the New Seats, yearning for warmer weather, ready to go, & aimed at the garage door.
  I was only able to stop & share a moment with it, before heading out to run errands in a vehicle with a heater.

I have to ask Craig.....  Is it really that cold down there in Georgia, or are you just spoiled with all the beautiful weather throughout the rest of the year?   :)

Yesterday afternoon I went ahead and got my new alternator installed.  I think I had mentioned before that the last time I installed a new alternator, the rotor was rubbing just a little bit at the bottom of the alternator.  I didn't think anything of as it was a really tight fit around my adapter bracket and didn't have any play or adjustment.  It was rubbing, but it was also working so I just let it fly.  Well, it only lasted about 4 or 5 months before the alternator completely burned up.  Fortunately, I was able to catch the problem before I got stranded somewhere because I've had electrical/charging problems on other bikes (including this one) so I test my batteries on a regular basis.

First of all, my new DeWalt Impact and Drill saved the day!  The only bolts/nuts I couldn't use my impact on were the foot peg, exhaust mount and muffler mount.  While starting to pull the foot peg, I noticed my primary case was loose and moving around.  AGAIN!  Sure enough, the 3 pan head Witworth allen bolts that bolt the primary around the crankshaft were loose again.  It is really hard getting those damn thing tight, I think this was the 3rd time it has happened to me.  If they loosen up again I will be very surprised, because I removed the alternator adapter bracket and used a T-25 Torx bit and my 112ft# cordless impact to drive those bitches in this time!  "Yeah Mo Fo!  Now What?!"    ;D

A great tip to remember when dealing with allen heads that are stripped.  Can't get a metric or SAE to work?  Use a Torx!  They work almost every time!

Put the adapter bracket back on, slid the alternator on and was having the same problem as before, real tight on the bottom edge.  So I broke out my new DeWalt cordless drill this time and opened up the alternator mounting holes from 1/4" to 3/8", cleaned it off good with brake cleaner and compressed air, slid it back on and NOW I have some play.  Got out the feeler gauge and set a .005 gap right next to the one bolt/mount and tightened it up with the impact.  I then went around with the feeler, tapping here and there with a rubber mallet until I had a nice .005 gap around the whole ring.  Took about 10 tries, which would normally equate to about 30-45 minutes of wrenching the nuts on and off trying to get it just right.  But with the cordless impact it only took about 5 minutes to get it perfect!  If you have never had the chance to own/play/use a cordless impact, you have no idea what you are missing out on!  The last time I did this job (by far NOT the first time I've pulled the primary cover for whatever reason) it took me about 5 hours to do this job.  Last night, it took me 3 hours and I wasn't even working that hard on it.  In fact, I even took a break to smoke a cigar.    8)

Everything is all back to normal in the electrical department.  :)

Scottie
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 01:23:46 pm by Scottie J »

azcatfan

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2002 Bullet ES
Reply #3868 on: January 19, 2014, 03:25:03 pm
Scottie, We're going to have to get together for cigars sometime!  I love the ashtray too!

Last night I changed as many of the fluids as I could (oil, primary, trans, catch can, forks).  I also made videos of it all, I'll put them together over the rest of the long weekend and make them available so if folks have any questions about how to do it they can see for themselves.  I know I use the hell out of youtube for researching how to fix things....
-2002 Bullet ES Up-Jetted with Ace Air Canister and punched HD Exhaust.

My MotoVlog Channel:  http://tinyurl.com/nnso3av

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3869 on: January 19, 2014, 03:38:41 pm
azcatfan - My buddy/co-worker is originally from Tuscon but I've never been there.  Almost moved there, but I moved to Denver instead.  I'd love to get together sometime over a cigar and drinks!  Maybe you can make your way up here for one of the Rocky Mountain rides Dan Kearny (and probably myself) are trying to assemble.  Or maybe I'll get a hair up my arse and decide to take a roady down there.  Who knows!  LOL  ;)

Come to think of it Heloego lives in the half way point of Albuquerque........

Scottie
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 03:41:51 pm by Scottie J »