Author Topic: What did you do to your Royal Enfield today?  (Read 1811219 times)

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3750 on: December 09, 2013, 07:15:08 pm
Ooooo, the guy who painted that tank is going to be pissed that you wrecked his work!

Nah,  I just take it with a grain of salt and a smile.    :D  Honestly, I didn't even put that much time into painting this bike.  I originally wanted to soda blast the whole bike and start over from scratch, but my partner was in Florida last winter while I was doing the restoration and didn't have access to the soda blaster.  So I ended giving my bike a sand-n-shoot (and a small amount of body work) paint job instead.  I don't care about scratching and denting it up over having some fun.  It's so worth it!  Besides, now I have a fun story to tell when someone asks "how the hell did you get a dent in the top of your tank?"   ;D

I've always said "You don't know the limits of your ride until you ride it to the limits!  Once you cross the limit, you know when to stop pushing."

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

azcatfan

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2002 Bullet ES
Reply #3751 on: December 10, 2013, 05:07:44 am
I did the LED punch in  :), changed the pilots, the clusters, and the brake light.  With the LED 1157 replacement seeming a little week, I added a flasher license plate bar.  Now the brake lights are very noticeable, and the amp meter doesn't flinch at idle with the brake on  8)
-2002 Bullet ES Up-Jetted with Ace Air Canister and punched HD Exhaust.

My MotoVlog Channel:  http://tinyurl.com/nnso3av

02Electra

• Scooter
Reply #3752 on: December 10, 2013, 11:14:24 am
Polished the side covers up a bit :)

2002 RE Electra CDI
India

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3753 on: December 10, 2013, 12:31:24 pm

If I could whistle with letters I would totally be whistling at your pic right now.  Looks great!

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #3754 on: December 10, 2013, 12:35:47 pm
hahaha I remember your bike from last year, 02Electra, when you joined the forum. It's still in the room? =O How often do you take it out  ;)
Sons continuing wars, our fathers were enemies

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #3755 on: December 10, 2013, 04:23:03 pm

I so need to do that.

Scott

azcatfan

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2002 Bullet ES
Reply #3756 on: December 10, 2013, 05:03:57 pm
Nice job on the covers, I need to do that on the primary side too, lots of boot marks...
-2002 Bullet ES Up-Jetted with Ace Air Canister and punched HD Exhaust.

My MotoVlog Channel:  http://tinyurl.com/nnso3av

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #3757 on: December 10, 2013, 05:33:53 pm
Nah,  I just take it with a grain of salt and a smile.    :D  Honestly, I didn't even put that much time into painting this bike.  I originally wanted to soda blast the whole bike and start over from scratch, but my partner was in Florida last winter while I was doing the restoration and didn't have access to the soda blaster.  So I ended giving my bike a sand-n-shoot (and a small amount of body work) paint job instead.  I don't care about scratching and denting it up over having some fun.  It's so worth it!  Besides, now I have a fun story to tell when someone asks "how the hell did you get a dent in the top of your tank?"   ;D

I've always said "You don't know the limits of your ride until you ride it to the limits!  Once you cross the limit, you know when to stop pushing."

Scottie
Hey Scottie, After reading of your TANK DENT. I had a thought. Many British made bikes came with adjustable screws on the fork turn limiting lugs, so the fork could turn side to side, lock to lock-adjusted so no hardware contacted the tank. You might check to see if yours is like that. This is harder with low bars, impossible with some clubman or clip-ons. The switches on my low superbike bars just miss my tank.  My G5 has no adjustment on the limit lugs. If the switches had hit, I'd have drilled & tapped them, & installed screws with jam nuts.
Just a thought for what its worth.
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #3758 on: December 11, 2013, 12:38:58 am

Wow - I can tell what brand of jeans you're wearing!

02Electra

• Scooter
Reply #3759 on: December 11, 2013, 07:18:52 am
Thanks for the kind words guys. The primary cover, fork legs and the brake plate are awaiting similar treatment!

hahaha I remember your bike from last year, 02Electra, when you joined the forum. It's still in the room? =O How often do you take it out  ;)

Ha! Good memory. Let's see- I reckon it's done some 500km's in that time. That's a lot by my standards :P I don't park it outside now. After a ride, in it goes. This was one of the better models produced by RE and not many survive in original condition and even fewer in top condition (maybe a handful including mine). So, I'll just preserve it and ride when I want to ride rather than commute. It has 35,000 km's on the odo. Hopefully I'll break the 100,000 mark by my retirement and I'm only 28 yet  ;D
2002 RE Electra CDI
India

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #3760 on: December 11, 2013, 11:56:43 am
150 km a month will get you there.  ;)

I know a fellow who has 255000 km on his moped and still adding.
Some say our bikes are not reliable. Ha, some say...
 ;D ;D
moriunt omnes pauci vivunt

Roeland

• Grease Monkey
Reply #3761 on: December 11, 2013, 12:39:31 pm
Hi,

I issued our 12th Cape Town Newletter today. The Cape Town RE Ownersclub strictly speaking exists no for 1 year. Copy of the newsletter attached....

Regards

Roeland

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #3762 on: December 11, 2013, 01:18:38 pm
Excellent Newsletter, Roe!
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

Roeland

• Grease Monkey
Reply #3763 on: December 11, 2013, 01:25:42 pm
Thanks - Anybody who wants to receive it can just email me ( mandy.soulsby.bodart@gmail.com ) - and offcourse we would like to include stories from elswhere in the world as well...

St1g9203

• Scooter
  • Ride hard.. thump harder
Reply #3764 on: December 11, 2013, 04:44:55 pm
Start, warm up for 10 minutes and shutdown!! wait for 3 more days before she hits the road again..
Ride hard.. thump harder