Author Topic: What did you do to your Royal Enfield today?  (Read 1811612 times)

gmmechanic

• Scooter
Reply #3630 on: November 10, 2013, 10:51:23 pm
od green rules...same color as my fishing boat ;D
2014 c5 military

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #3631 on: November 11, 2013, 04:58:46 pm
Started to put it to bed for the winter!

Very little spare time these days between work and a sick parent.  I had a small window of an hour or so and a sunny day which was warm enough to either take a ride, or wash the bike.  The wash carried the day, and now it's getting cold enough that road salt could appear at any time.  So that's it for me for the season…    :(

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #3632 on: November 11, 2013, 06:14:16 pm
Spent some time yesterday with Blue Away and Blue Job and removed most of the rainbow from my exhaust pipe.  It got really bad a while back, almost down to the lower bend.  I was running the bike in place for an hour or so trying to charge up my friend's dead battery.  Not sure how long it will last but it looks better for now anyway :)

Scott

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3633 on: November 11, 2013, 06:25:00 pm
Hope you had a fan on it!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #3634 on: November 11, 2013, 06:43:56 pm
Nah.  It was a cool day with a breeze.  Seems fine except for the extra blueing.

Scott

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #3635 on: November 11, 2013, 09:47:06 pm
Had a brilliant ride today. First crisp day. Will need a liner soon now.

Yesterday was rougher. Got surprised by thunderstorm I thought I could elope, but not. Had some hail too. Got soaked.
Nice to come home to a warm place.  ;D
moriunt omnes pauci vivunt

windhorserider

• Rider of The Windhorse.
  • Scooter
  • I'd rather be in New Orleans.
Reply #3636 on: November 12, 2013, 01:34:10 am
Enjoyed a great Saturday, washing, waxing, cleaning and lubing the chain etc. Even cleaned each spoke. Yesterday took a short ride on a clean bike.
Today made the commute and stopped on the way home to pick up a few things. Came out of the store to find someone bent over looking closely at the bike. Older gentleman stood up and said, "Perfect timing" when he saw me caring my helmet.  He was an Army Brat/Vet who traveled around with his dad and then on his own assignments. He had ridden REs in England and India. I was glad it was shining and clean. We talked for good while.  He had some great stories. He had me start it up and just smiled it the thump.
All in all a good day.
2013 Bullet B5
2007 Ruckus
Past Rides:
CL360, CB750K, CX500C, XS1100, KE100, HD Panhead, Goldwing

The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. -Hunter S. Thompson

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3637 on: November 12, 2013, 03:13:53 am
Enjoyed a great Saturday, washing, waxing, cleaning and lubing the chain etc. Even cleaned each spoke. Yesterday took a short ride on a clean bike.
Today made the commute and stopped on the way home to pick up a few things. Came out of the store to find someone bent over looking closely at the bike. Older gentleman stood up and said, "Perfect timing" when he saw me caring my helmet.  He was an Army Brat/Vet who traveled around with his dad and then on his own assignments. He had ridden REs in England and India. I was glad it was shining and clean. We talked for good while.  He had some great stories. He had me start it up and just smiled it the thump.
All in all a good day.

+1

Sounds like a great weekend.   :)

I did a little fab work last night and shortened my front brake cable to the correct length for the new handle bars.  It looks a lot better now.  And it was a HELL of a lot easier to solder than then that damn oil feed line was.  ;)

Scottie
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 03:48:13 am by Scottie J »
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

ge0ff

• Scooter
Reply #3638 on: November 12, 2013, 09:06:01 am
Dan Kearney - do you have some more photos/info on what you've got going on up the back there - rack/bags etc? Looks very practical!

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3639 on: November 12, 2013, 01:26:15 pm
Dan Kearney - do you have some more photos/info on what you've got going on up the back there - rack/bags etc? Looks very practical!

It's a luggage rack that he hand made out of wood.  It's actually really nice, it like "snaps" in place between the 2 panniers and makes for a quite a large rack.  And I must say, he did a fantastic job building it.

Scottie

DanKearney

• Grease Monkey
Reply #3640 on: November 12, 2013, 03:37:17 pm
It's a luggage rack that he hand made out of wood.  It's actually really nice, it like "snaps" in place between the 2 panniers and makes for a quite a large rack.  And I must say, he did a fantastic job building it.

Scottie

Thanks for the plug Scottie.

Ge0ff,

The black panniers I bought from the RE distributor up in Canada.  They're the standard military ones with a rack modified to mount to the C5 frame. 

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,17245.msg190804.html#msg190804

The wood slats in the middle are just pine furring strips that I cut up.  I notched the ends so that they rest on top of the pannier mount's horizontal bars.  I ran a single length of wood up the middle to connect all three transverse pieces of wood together using a cross halving joint (I think that's what it's called).  I then put a strip of non-slip tape on top so that anything I bungie down won't slide around to much.

Check out reply 3381:  http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,7829.msg191192.html#msg191192

The brown canvas pouch I picked up from a military surplus store.  It carries all my spare cables, tire irons, flat-fix kit, etc.  Better shot of it here:

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,17288.msg191496.html#msg191496

Cheers,

Dan K.

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #3641 on: November 13, 2013, 01:00:08 am
Great job at max use of minimum space, Dan! And it looks great, too!

Did you modify the Pannier Racks yourself, or were they already modded by the distributor?
And is that a Pelican case top-mounted in your other pics? I've considered doing something similar so I can use the bike for work. Do you recall the part # for that case?
NFG doesn't give the interior dimensions of the panniers. What are they?
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 01:11:51 am by heloego »
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

DanKearney

• Grease Monkey
Reply #3642 on: November 13, 2013, 04:45:06 am
Great job at max use of minimum space, Dan! And it looks great, too!

Did you modify the Pannier Racks yourself, or were they already modded by the distributor?
And is that a Pelican case top-mounted in your other pics? I've considered doing something similar so I can use the bike for work. Do you recall the part # for that case?
NFG doesn't give the interior dimensions of the panniers. What are they?

If I recall correctly, the Canadian distributor told me he has the racks made for him in India, so they're bespoke for the C5.  I didn't have to do anything other than bolt them on.

That Pelican case is just a big case I use as a suitcase when I travel abroad.  Built like a tank!  It's a bit too large for the RE, but it worked quite well on the trip I took it on back in September.  I simply strapped it down to the pannier rack.  I now have a smaller black box (Actually a large pistol case) that I use in that spot for everyday commuting.  Easy on, easy off and does not block the tops of the pannier boxes.

The pannier boxes are pretty narrow.  I don't remember the dimensions.  I'll try to remember to measure them tomorrow.

Cheers,

Dan K.

windhorserider

• Rider of The Windhorse.
  • Scooter
  • I'd rather be in New Orleans.
Reply #3643 on: November 14, 2013, 12:09:52 am
300 this morning.
My wife asked me if I was going to ride in. Then she saw I was suited up. A ride like that makes you feel alive. ;D
2013 Bullet B5
2007 Ruckus
Past Rides:
CL360, CB750K, CX500C, XS1100, KE100, HD Panhead, Goldwing

The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. -Hunter S. Thompson

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3644 on: November 14, 2013, 12:35:32 am
300 this morning.
My wife asked me if I was going to ride in. Then she saw I was suited up. A ride like that makes you feel alive. ;D

+1    :D