Author Topic: What did you do to your Royal Enfield today?  (Read 1811912 times)

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3540 on: October 24, 2013, 12:42:04 am
What happened to "ME" time?!      >:(
Scottie

Work and Wife and Kidlettes.  We feel your pain. :'(
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #3541 on: October 24, 2013, 12:46:44 am
Work and Wife and Kidlettes.  We feel your pain. :'(

I've had parts sitting on the shelf since May.  I might get to put them in this weekend, sending the wife and kid off to visit family ;)  First things first though, gotta meet my budy for beers.

Scott

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #3542 on: October 24, 2013, 01:17:31 am
I've had parts sitting on the shelf since May.  I might get to put them in this weekend, sending the wife and kid off to visit family ;)  First things first though, gotta meet my budy for beers.

Scott

+1
You have your priorities just right.  :D
moriunt omnes pauci vivunt

AussieDave

• Grand Gearhead
  • How does this thing work?..Ouch..oh..
Reply #3543 on: October 24, 2013, 05:34:34 am
Made my first sortie in 39 days, courtesy of a stubborn bullet.
Oops, familiar roads when not ridden for some time are the most dangerous in the whole wide world.
So I lowsided, rather hefty, courtesy of a motorist unfamiliar with small roads, forcing me to the far side, decorated with a generous layer of fat slick mud.
The mud was not so bad: only the crash bar took a severe beating and will have to be replaced.
The man was helpful in lifting the bike. He was desperate: a major detour brought him into this spot, and he had no clue where he was and how to continue. So I could help him out with directions. I was also grateful for him to stop timely. I should not have slid a foot further.
All in all an interesting re-entry.
And the repair, that enabled it, did hold. Makes me happy.  :)
Royalists- gives me good cheer that both you and your motorcycle avoided injury. Crash bars eh..... I am beginning to think they may be a wise addition to my machine! By the by , mud can be a wonderful tonic for the skin- some people ( well, mostly women I guess) pay perfectly good money to get themselves covered - and you got your treatment for free! :)
"Glorious,stirring sight! The poetry of motion! The real way to travel! The only way to travel! ... O bliss ! O poop poop ! Oh my! Oh my!" - Toad of Toad Hall.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #3544 on: October 24, 2013, 06:33:47 am
+1
You have your priorities just right.  :D

And he just invited me to go off roading on Sunday :D

Alan LaRue

• Bulleteer
  • Commute Time is Not the Worst Time of Day
Reply #3545 on: October 24, 2013, 03:15:45 pm
Finally rolled past 10,000 miles! I thought I was going to do it before summer, but when the chain started slipping on the completely worn out rear sprocket my riding season ended a week earlier than expected. Finally got the sprocket replaced a few weeks ago, but it's rained so much that I've been taking the car to work.

This week: BEAUTIFUL! I love Autumn on the Texas Gulf Coast. (It's like Summer for most of you folks.) Lows in the mid-50s, highs around 75-80F. And since Autumn runs right into Spring, with barely a day or two of Winter most years, well, I keep telling myself I'll use the motorcycle more and the car less. Looks like I'm doing about 5000 miles per year, so about 1/4 of my miles. Surely I can up it to half!

Since the luggage rack broke, I no longer have decently sized top case. I put a tail bag on the pillion seat but it's too small to carry rain gear. Guess I'm going to have to do saddle bags. I've gone through a lot of storage solutions on this bike, and none seems to work out.

Hitchcock's carries a rack with those small Givi panniers (E21 "Cruiser") that looks really sturdy, but it's £225, about $363. Doesn't sound bad, but I'm not sure I should spend that right now.
Chinese food beats hopes and dreams any day.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #3546 on: October 24, 2013, 03:18:24 pm
Way to go Alan !

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #3547 on: October 24, 2013, 09:30:56 pm
Royalists- gives me good cheer that both you and your motorcycle avoided injury. Crash bars eh..... I am beginning to think they may be a wise addition to my machine! By the by , mud can be a wonderful tonic for the skin- some people ( well, mostly women I guess) pay perfectly good money to get themselves covered - and you got your treatment for free! :)

Talking crash bars: at closer inspection mine is barely damaged, there is just a slight bend. And it is the one from the factory, figures. Go for it. What really took the brunt of the slide was the left bottom bracket. Look at the picture top left.
It took me a bit under 5 hours today to go from that to a freshly painted one. A pro with his pro tools would have done it in a jiffy but would he have had the same fun? Aha...
I cleaned all the other fasteners, gave them some rust protection. Tomorrow crash bar goes back up and we're on the road again. Rain forecasted...  ::)

How it was, the last straws and hanging to dry...

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3548 on: October 24, 2013, 11:22:33 pm
  That's some handy heating and hammering ! Nice.   Love that lump hammer BTW.    You sir, would be good at ornamental wrought Iron gates  !  ;)
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

AussieDave

• Grand Gearhead
  • How does this thing work?..Ouch..oh..
Reply #3549 on: October 24, 2013, 11:27:47 pm
Good work Royalista! Top marks in my book. Nothin better than a bloke doing his own repairs- much better than payin for a new part. Sure was twisted. Could you please post another pic when you put back on the machine- I haven't seen the crash bar arrangement close up before- just wondering if I could make one. Cheers D.
"Glorious,stirring sight! The poetry of motion! The real way to travel! The only way to travel! ... O bliss ! O poop poop ! Oh my! Oh my!" - Toad of Toad Hall.

crush02342002

• Bulleteer
Reply #3550 on: October 25, 2013, 03:34:10 am
Finally rolled past 10,000 miles! I thought I was going to do it before summer, but when the chain started slipping on the completely worn out rear sprocket my riding season ended a week earlier than expected. Finally got the sprocket replaced a few weeks ago, but it's rained so much that I've been taking the car to work.

This week: BEAUTIFUL! I love Autumn on the Texas Gulf Coast. (It's like Summer for most of you folks.) Lows in the mid-50s, highs around 75-80F. And since Autumn runs right into Spring, with barely a day or two of Winter most years, well, I keep telling myself I'll use the motorcycle more and the car less. Looks like I'm doing about 5000 miles per year, so about 1/4 of my miles. Surely I can up it to half!

Since the luggage rack broke, I no longer have decently sized top case. I put a tail bag on the pillion seat but it's too small to carry rain gear. Guess I'm going to have to do saddle bags. I've gone through a lot of storage solutions on this bike, and none seems to work out.

Hitchcock's carries a rack with those small Givi panniers (E21 "Cruiser") that looks really sturdy, but it's £225, about $363. Doesn't sound bad, but I'm not sure I should spend that right now.

Are you in the Houston area? Im trying to plan out a ride around lake Livingston and it would be cool if I could get another Enfield in the mix.

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #3551 on: October 25, 2013, 10:06:30 pm

Winter storage?  What is this thing you call "Winter storage"?   :)
What would Wesley Pegden think of that?
Cheers,
Dan K.

It's good to have room in the shed for working on the Triumph this winter.  Last winter B5 occupied the service-lift from November to March.
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #3552 on: October 25, 2013, 11:34:22 pm
The bracket was dry, so the crash bar could go back on.
First picture shows the left bottom bracket back where it belongs.

The second is made to have a proper impression on how much the bars are bent now.

And then I went to collect groceries and a ride after that. A day without drama. And I managed to stay out of the rain which started only after I got home. How 'bout that?  ;D

@AussieDave
This is the basic crash bar, aka "diamond bar". Apparently this is the one the Indian military uses on their bikes. I thought they had the one with the high wings that comes on the military version of the bullet. Never too old to learn.

Alan LaRue

• Bulleteer
Reply #3553 on: October 26, 2013, 01:40:11 am
Are you in the Houston area? Im trying to plan out a ride around lake Livingston and it would be cool if I could get another Enfield in the mix.

Yes, I'm in Baytown, TX-146 about a mile south of I-10. When are you planning this ride?

Alan LaRue

• Bulleteer
Reply #3554 on: October 26, 2013, 01:46:46 am
Clutch cable broke! Fortunately, there only 3 lights and one stop sign between me and home. Stop sign was right after the break, so I ducked into an empty parking lot and killed it. Tried to start it in neutral, but it died when I kicked into first, so I ended up with a lurching start in 1st instead. (Not much traffic at the time.) Timed the 1st two
lights so I wouldn't have to stop, and got into neutral for the left turn into the neighborhood. Killed it again going into first but got going (probably hell on the starter motor!). There's a clutch cable in the box of spares that came with it, so I should be able to get that on pretty easily. Handy item to have on hand; I'll have to order another to keep in the box.