Author Topic: What did you do to your Royal Enfield today?  (Read 1811785 times)

Alan LaRue

• Bulleteer
  • Commute Time is Not the Worst Time of Day
Reply #3495 on: October 14, 2013, 03:20:31 am
Rode it past the local rail road museum. . .

Love it! I've taken photos of my motorcycles with locomotives, too.

Cheers,

Dan K.
Chinese food beats hopes and dreams any day.

Philbomoog

• Bulleteer
Reply #3496 on: October 14, 2013, 02:31:03 pm
Repaired a stress fracture on the rear chain guard bracket. Steel bracket and pop rivets, cost 30 pence.

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #3497 on: October 15, 2013, 03:42:33 am
Nothing.
Motorcycle total miles: 1367
Yesterday installed stainless banjo fittings and stainless hose to front brake system. Bled as needed. No discrepancy noted.
Removed front wheel and guard to install shock gaiters from Lowbrow Customs. Getting them over the extension flanges was (were?) a REAL PITA, but got it done nonetheless. Re-installed mudguard and front wheel. Performed ops check(ride) due to maintenance. No discrepancy noted.
And, dammit, I'm not so sure I like the damn things! Argh!  :o
(Edit) ask and ye shall receive...
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 04:41:36 am by heloego »
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3498 on: October 15, 2013, 04:58:46 am
lets check it out with a photo

Land O Aches

• Scooter
Reply #3499 on: October 15, 2013, 05:10:29 am
Odometer turned 700 today, means I've put 65 miles on my '05 Military and haven't even left the neighborhood. Got it to kick start from stone cold on the third try, throttle technique is getting better. Cutting out at high rpm, maybe need to shift earlier?

Lando
"Think you'll ever amount to much?"

- my co-worker Rick

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #3500 on: October 15, 2013, 05:25:50 am
You shouldn't be running the engine fast enough to hit the rev limiter just putting around the neighborhood.
Have you changed out the Bosch sparkplug your bike came with?
Several of us have had misfiring with that double electrode spark plug.
Changing it to a NGK BPR6ES should solve the problem if it isn't the stupid sidestand kill switch that's getting you.
According to Mr. Mahoney, the man who imports the RE into the US and owns this site, the switch can be adjusted so that slight movements of the sidestand won't cause it to shut off.
Most of us have just unplugged the sidestand switch.  The connector is down towards the rear of the engine on the left hand side.
WARNING:  If you unplug the connector you will be able to ride the bike with the sidestand still down.  Under certain conditions this can dump you on the tarmac.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Land O Aches

• Scooter
Reply #3501 on: October 15, 2013, 02:29:40 pm
The bike's got the NGK plug, Bosch Blue coil and there's no sidestand.

The bike sat in the original owner's garage for six years. There's a fine dusting of oil based housepaint all over it.

The previous owner changed the fuel tap - could the wrong unit cause fuel starvation?

Maybe I just need to check my expectations - a 500cc motor with a lard ass like myself aboard will not rack up impressive acceleration numbers...

Lando

- my co-worker Rick

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #3502 on: October 15, 2013, 03:17:08 pm
The bike's got the NGK plug, Bosch Blue coil and there's no sidestand.

The bike sat in the original owner's garage for six years. There's a fine dusting of oil based housepaint all over it.

The previous owner changed the fuel tap - could the wrong unit cause fuel starvation?

Maybe I just need to check my expectations - a 500cc motor with a lard ass like myself aboard will not rack up impressive acceleration numbers...

Lando
The correct plug for an 05 military is BR8ES or B8ES. It is an Iron Barrel engine.
At 65 miles, it is nowhere near broken-in, and it is to be limited to moderate engine speeds for at least a few hundred miles. Failure to observe this may result in piston seizure.  This is not the kind of bike that can be treated like a modern Japanese bike.
It's a slow bike and it is not broken-in. It can be made faster if you want that, but it still needs a break-in process that is rather lengthy, and requires restraint with the throttle hand.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #3503 on: October 15, 2013, 11:51:48 pm
Sorry.  When I see people talking about RE's with only 700 miles on them in the UCE area of the forum my mind jumps to the conclusion that the bike is one of the new bikes.  :-[

Seeing that it is an '05, it's possible it's still running the old points style of ignition?

If so, it's also possible that the pivoting arm of the points would like just one small drop of oil on the pivot pin.
Sometimes old oil can get a bit sticky and if this happens the points won't close rapidly like they should at high speeds leading to power loss and misfires.
Be cautious in oiling that pivot.  The last thing one would want is for oil to get onto the contact surfaces.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Land O Aches

• Scooter
Reply #3504 on: October 16, 2013, 04:37:33 am
My '05 has the original points, I'll try a drop of oil on the pivot - thanks!

Lando

- my co-worker Rick

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #3505 on: October 16, 2013, 11:32:33 am
Usually I don't need to use the horn as I keep at a nice and safe distance from the cagers. And most of them hear the Bullet when I'm riding close to them. But there are some times where you can't avoid being in between the cagers during peak times etc or being in between inconsiderate drivers who are not paying attention to their surroundings.

The stock horn is just a pat on the back for reckless drivers. So to give them a good lesson and wake them up from their temporary sleep, I bought the Wolo Bad Boy air horn from E-bay and installed it today. Pretty pleased with it. Very loud indeed. Good investment.
Sons continuing wars, our fathers were enemies

AussieDave

• Grand Gearhead
  • How does this thing work?..Ouch..oh..
Reply #3506 on: October 16, 2013, 12:14:59 pm
Well done! ive been wanting to het something louder for awhile too . I guess I'll just have to imagine what it looks like on your bike since you haven't posted a photo ! ( hint hint )
"Glorious,stirring sight! The poetry of motion! The real way to travel! The only way to travel! ... O bliss ! O poop poop ! Oh my! Oh my!" - Toad of Toad Hall.

Catbird

• Grease Monkey
Reply #3507 on: October 16, 2013, 01:28:51 pm
...Wolo Bad Boy air horn...
+1
IMO, an absolute necessity; the very first modification I made to my 2013 C5.  I rarely use it, but for safety's sake when I need to make my presence known to inattentive drivers, it's there.
1972 Honda CB350 twin - sold
1976 Honda GL1000 Goldwing - sold
1996 BMW R1100RT - sold
2005 BMW R1200RT - sold
2011 Vespa GTS 300
2013 Royal Enfield C5 Military
2014 Honda CTX700N DCT
2014 Honda CB1100

DanKearney

• Grease Monkey
Reply #3508 on: October 16, 2013, 02:56:30 pm
Usually I don't need to use the horn as I keep at a nice and safe distance from the cagers. And most of them hear the Bullet when I'm riding close to them. But there are some times where you can't avoid being in between the cagers during peak times etc or being in between inconsiderate drivers who are not paying attention to their surroundings.

The stock horn is just a pat on the back for reckless drivers. So to give them a good lesson and wake them up from their temporary sleep, I bought the Wolo Bad Boy air horn from E-bay and installed it today. Pretty pleased with it. Very loud indeed. Good investment.

In what location did you mount it?  Pics?

Cheers,

Dan K.

Catbird

• Grease Monkey
Reply #3509 on: October 16, 2013, 05:52:20 pm
The mounting of the Wolo air horn was very easy.  After removing the stock horn, I mounted the new horn to the (old) stock horn bracket.
1972 Honda CB350 twin - sold
1976 Honda GL1000 Goldwing - sold
1996 BMW R1100RT - sold
2005 BMW R1200RT - sold
2011 Vespa GTS 300
2013 Royal Enfield C5 Military
2014 Honda CTX700N DCT
2014 Honda CB1100