Author Topic: What did you do to your Royal Enfield today?  (Read 1808124 times)

windhorserider

• Rider of The Windhorse.
  • Scooter
  • I'd rather be in New Orleans.
Reply #3345 on: September 07, 2013, 06:11:26 pm
I made a run from Dallas to Canton, Texas and back. I’m approaching 3,000 miles on the B5, so I thought it was time for a good all morning cruse to see how the bike (and I) would do. This ride instead of the usual morning and afternoon commutes. It was beautiful day, warm, but I was out before the true heat would set in. I did wear a Heat-Out shirt and I was surprised at how well it worked. I took the roads less traveled on the way out: “Farm to Market” roads. Great two lane roads running through the East Texas piney woods and fields, but one needs to be careful because of farm trucks, farm equipment and farm animals (now you know why Farm comes first in the name). Coming down a gentle hill and looking up the distant lane as it climbed back up the shallow valley a large bird crossed the road flying up 10 feet or so. At first I thought it was a heron or egret but on closer inspection (I pulled over by the stock pond the bird was working) and found it was a Golden Eagle. An early return to this part of Texas: I took this as a good omen.
On the way back I took the Interstate to see how the bike (and I) would do. The bike does up well. I, on the other hand, had to get reacquainted with the tricks of truck turbulence and butt ache. As I was riding a large spot appeared before my eyes going crazy. I tried to determine what it was: itinerant eye spot, large approaching erratic bug, lightly floating jetsam? No, it was an ant inside my helmet on the screen. Quick flip open and the hitch hiker was gone.
Now I’m just counting the days till next Saturday morning. (I’ve got to work on my butt tolerance levels.)
2013 Bullet B5
2007 Ruckus
Past Rides:
CL360, CB750K, CX500C, XS1100, KE100, HD Panhead, Goldwing

The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. -Hunter S. Thompson

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #3346 on: September 08, 2013, 05:49:43 pm
picked up my rear wheel from Marty (dealer) and remounted it.  While I've got it on the table here, I think I'll have a look at the chain ....
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3347 on: September 08, 2013, 05:51:24 pm
picked up my rear wheel from Marty (dealer) and remounted it.  While I've got it on the table here, I think I'll have a look at the chain ....

That's the best time to do it!  ;)  What chain are you using Gremlin?

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #3348 on: September 08, 2013, 05:54:50 pm
OEM  5,000 miles.
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3349 on: September 08, 2013, 07:40:26 pm
Left rear blinker lens fell off somewhere last night.  Put one from the front on and took both front blinkers off.  I'll order a set of small round ones for the front.  Might find something more vintage looking as the front ones looked way too big and 70's Honda-ish to me.  DOT be damned.
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #3350 on: September 09, 2013, 02:44:05 am
Put on some new grips and repaired the wire to the right front turn signal that had broken at the connector.

Scott

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #3351 on: September 09, 2013, 06:57:54 am
Replaced the bulb in my right rear turn signal.
I can't blame Royal Enfield though.  I replaced my DOT turn signals with the small metal bullet style that were popular back in the '60's & 70's. :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

benknrobbers

• Scooter
  • Bohica
Reply #3352 on: September 09, 2013, 10:22:55 am
rode it back from a party in Kansas today. almost plowed into the back end of the camper. Was dazing out on the open highway following my wife, when some guy decides rather than pull into the very big breakdown to turn off the road, he was going to execute a full stop in the middle of the road, and then turn off. I locked up both brakes, felt the back end kick for a second, and managed to keep the rubber down. Meanwhile I'm watching the camper start to jack, which I'm again fortunate that she managed to get it straightened out.
Always prepare for the worst and your surprises will always be pleasant ones.

ROVERMAN

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3353 on: September 09, 2013, 12:57:02 pm
Went to the annual Battle of the Brit's Sunday at Camp Dearborn in Milford MI. Usual array of great bikes and British cars. Our new RE dealer, Detroit Iron was there and had people buzzing around like flies.He had 4 C5's and a 69 Interceptor in perfect condition (not for sale  :'(). At one point his first sale showed up on his black and chrome C5 grinning from ear to ear, all in all a good day. REnfield ran like a top there and back and as usual i had to spend a lot of time answering the throngs of people with the usual questions! Hope some of you also attended.
Robert & REnfield. Cheers.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3354 on: September 09, 2013, 05:38:03 pm
Might find something more vintage looking as the front ones looked way too big and 70's Honda-ish to me

Vintage bikes didn't have turn signals!
Neo-vintage stuff like Hondas were uglier then the new ones! Best deals are from Cycle Gear! Gotta go down there today and pick up a pair myself!
Bare

2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #3355 on: September 09, 2013, 08:46:03 pm
24000 kms (15000 miles). Grand cleaning and maintenance.
Gave the OEM spark plug an honorable discharge and, a gold watch.
It is in retirement now, yet ready for recall as it has some more miles in it. Good chap.
Because of its flawless record (never missed to start at the first kick) it was replaced by a younger recruit of the same brand. Sound the bugle, raise the colors.  ;D
moriunt omnes pauci vivunt

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3356 on: September 09, 2013, 08:53:00 pm
Vintage bikes didn't have turn signals!
Neo-vintage stuff like Hondas were uglier then the new ones! Best deals are from Cycle Gear! Gotta go down there today and pick up a pair myself!
Bare
Yes Sir! That's why I said "more vintage looking".  I'd go without, but why give the soccer moms one more excuse for running me over?
Motor Cop looked me over today and just gave me a thumbs up before he made a turn away from me.  Didn't notice: No front signals.   ;D
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #3357 on: September 09, 2013, 09:33:05 pm
+1.  It's the reason I keep the unusually large stock signals.

Scott

Pauly

• Bulleteer
Reply #3358 on: September 09, 2013, 11:23:15 pm
I did the right thing with it.

Rode in a counter protest against the westboro baptist church.   They decided to protest on MSU's campus because they think god should be taught.  A couple of thousand other students and I let them know we disagreed.

She wasn't the loudest bike there, but not the quietest either.  At one point my clutch did sort of stop working and it was stuck in gear, but I rode it at normal speed to cool it off and it seems to working now.  Any suggestions on this would be welcome

Pauly
2010 G5
'84 Honda VF45

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3359 on: September 09, 2013, 11:59:56 pm
24000 kms (15000 miles). Grand cleaning and maintenance.
Gave the OEM spark plug an honorable discharge and, a gold watch.
It is in retirement now, yet ready for recall as it has some more miles in it. Good chap.
Because of its flawless record (never missed to start at the first kick) it was replaced by a younger recruit of the same brand. Sound the bugle, raise the colors.  ;D

Yeah, you never know how many problems you had with it until you put an NGK in there!
Congrats on the 15,000, though.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com