Author Topic: What did you do to your Royal Enfield today?  (Read 1811847 times)

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #3300 on: August 29, 2013, 02:34:26 am
Beats me. Something to do with the neighbors.
Got it, and liked what you did with my mirrors.  ;D
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3301 on: August 29, 2013, 06:17:46 am
1)  Mounted a Mikuni TM32 and Ace Canister.  Set the air screw at 1.5 turns and she took about 6 or 7 kicks to find where the idle screw should be before it started and idled.  Tuning tomorrow if it's not raining.
2)  Replaced the OEM Taillight with a Ford Model A LED Taillight.
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/1928-1931-Ford-Model-A-LED-Tail-Light,23473.html
Doesn't deflect the Ammeter needle at idle with the brakes on and is much brighter than the LED replacement bulbs.  It looks like it belongs though it's stainless and not Mil Green, but we can fix that later.  Required drilling two mounting holes and ovaling the existing hole to fit, but that's covered by the light.
Covering holes and OD paint to come.
The flash in the garage kind of drowned out the Running Light, but it is brighter than an 1157.  The Brake Light is very bright even over the flash and very visible at an angle, which some have mentioned is a problem with other LED lights.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 03:40:02 pm by D the D »
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #3302 on: August 29, 2013, 03:05:30 pm
New rear brake shoes. 

Scott

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #3303 on: August 29, 2013, 03:17:16 pm
New rear brake shoes. 

Scott

Cool! How many miles on the bike? Were the rear shoes considerably worn out?
Sons continuing wars, our fathers were enemies

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3304 on: August 29, 2013, 05:19:56 pm
Lamented the loss of mine! Noticed that it is still on Craigs List. The price is coming down!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #3305 on: August 29, 2013, 06:18:55 pm
Cool! How many miles on the bike? Were the rear shoes considerably worn out?

Just under 13k.  They weren't really that bad, I'm betting I could have easily done another 4-5k.  When I did the chain I remember they were worn so I ordered some new shoes.  Somehow I mis-remembered them being paper thin so opened it up.  I could have left them in for a while but since it was already open I just swapped them for new.  Getting the return springs off and on is a total PITA!

After the brakes were in I spent the day looking at motorcycles at the local shops.  I looked at the Bonnies and the the MGs.  The V7 Racer isn't really pretty comfortable to sit on, not that aggressive.  The Thruxton certainly is way more so.  I like the MG better but the dealer support here for Triumph is much better and has been here much longer.  The same dealer used to carry both but dropped MG at the end of last year.  They could not get parts for their customers in a timely fashion and they were not willing to make them suffer.  My friend who has one was off the road for 5-6 months last year waiting for a part.  The guy carrying teh MGs now is a former tech from the Triumph shop and a really nice guy. 

The Stone and the Bonnie are really the only two bikes on the market I like right now.  Tough call between them.

My wife told me to just buy an old bike and start working to cafe it.  God bless her :D

Scott

bikesnob

• Scooter
Reply #3306 on: August 29, 2013, 07:03:29 pm
Lamented the loss of mine! Noticed that it is still on Craigs List. The price is coming down!
Bare
Hey Bare, I saw it on Craigs List, would you consider buying it back for the right price.
Steve
2013 Bonniville T 100 (sold)
2010 BMW R1200GS (sold)
2011 Bullet C5 (sold)
2015 Indian Chieftain
2016 BMW R1200GS
2017 Triumph Street Twin

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #3307 on: August 29, 2013, 07:13:50 pm
You could always say, "Yeah that price sounds reasonable."  Then when you get there to look at it, "What?  Salvage title?  On, no way I could pay that on a salvage title!" ;)

Scott

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3308 on: August 29, 2013, 07:40:02 pm
Test rode the new TM32 with Ace Canister.  Tooled around the back twisted roads to National Harbor.  Putted around a bit to watch skirts then out on Indianhead Highway for a bit.  I pre-jetted based on what others have listed expecting to go up or down one with the main and needle.   I hit it right he first time!
30 Pilot Jet, 1.5 turns on the Pilot Screw
190 Main Jet
P-4 Needle Valve
5FP17 Needle (Stock Needle) in the middle
4.0 Throttle Valve (Stock Throttle Valve)

Got it to run last night.  This morning I gave it a priming kick-through with the choke on.  Then turned the choke off and she started first kick @ 82F.  May need to go richer later in the fall, but we'll wait and see.
Thanks everyone for posting your angst and tribulations.  This was easy.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 11:36:44 pm by D the D »
1975 XLCH

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3309 on: August 29, 2013, 10:13:24 pm
If I'd wanted it back and had to get the salvage title, I could've bought it back for $900.
I didn't want the salvage title. Apparently no one else does, either!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #3310 on: August 29, 2013, 10:47:59 pm
A cool wave went thru here so I got off my duff and went out and replaced my front brake pads.
The old pads were in better shape than I thought they would be at 11,000 miles but it's nice knowing I won't need to replace them again for a few years. :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

TWinOKC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3311 on: August 30, 2013, 02:03:40 pm
The speedometer needle had been kind of twitchy for some time, I had removed the inner cable, cleaned/lubricated it with white grease, axle grease, WD40, tried all kinds of lube, still twitchy.  Finally called Nfield  Gear, and ordered the new cable, the cable and housing arrived within 5 days.  Replaced the cable and housing using Singh's youtube video.  All is well.  The cable replacement is a very straight forward repair but its is really reassuring to watch a video.  There are a couple of helpful tips on there about routing the cable that I might not have thought of.

Thanks Tim @ Nfield Gear and Singh!!   ;) ;)
2010  C5  Teal
2011 Triumph Bonneville T100
2015 Scrambler Ducati

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #3312 on: August 30, 2013, 02:24:13 pm
Just under 13k.  They weren't really that bad, I'm betting I could have easily done another 4-5k.  When I did the chain I remember they were worn so I ordered some new shoes.  Somehow I mis-remembered them being paper thin so opened it up.  I could have left them in for a while but since it was already open I just swapped them for new.  Getting the return springs off and on is a total PITA!

Ah, thanks! That's quite reassuring and yes those shoes do appear quite thin. When I had the rear tyre off, I lubed the brake cams..and for the first time saw how a drum brake system works. It is so straight-forward..makes you think how this simple brake system played a major role in early automobiles/motorcycles and even till recent times. Thankfully, the brake shoes on mine still have a lot left in them..as you said, messing with the springs must be one hell of a workout.

My wife told me to just buy an old bike and start working to cafe it.  God bless her :D
Scott

+1  :D
Sons continuing wars, our fathers were enemies

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3313 on: August 30, 2013, 02:35:56 pm
Pulled the transmission cover off to try and see why it's been shifting kind of crappy.  Looks like the whole ratchet system is just getting old and sloppy.  I took a hammer and tried to smash the assembly pins down a bit, it helped, but there's still some slop.  Put it back together and warmed up the bike and went for a short ride.  It was shifting better, I definitely didn't feel as much slop in the shifter.  So as I turn around in this parking lot off of the road, I decided I needed to see how the bike was going to react to a full out beating.  It was 10pm and there wasn't hardly any traffic, so I figured it was a good of time as any.  I pulled out of the lot into the merger lane, checked to make sure there weren't any lights coming up or down the road.  Staged the bike at about 3500 RPMs, visualized an imaginary light in head changing and gave the bike it's 1st official launch.  It felt real good and solid and hooked up almost immediately!  (I was having clutch issues earlier as the scissor mechanism was out of adjustment).  A couple more practice launches over the next couple days and I think I'll be ready for the drag strip Wednesday night!

Scottie
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 02:38:31 pm by Scottie J »
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3314 on: August 30, 2013, 02:55:25 pm
Pulled the transmission cover off to try and see why it's been shifting kind of crappy.  Looks like the whole ratchet system is just getting old and sloppy.  I took a hammer and tried to smash the assembly pins down a bit, it helped, but there's still some slop.  Put it back together and warmed up the bike and went for a short ride.  It was shifting better, I definitely didn't feel as much slop in the shifter.  So as I turn around in this parking lot off of the road, I decided I needed to see how the bike was going to react to a full out beating.  It was 10pm and there wasn't hardly any traffic, so I figured it was a good of time as any.  I pulled out of the lot into the merger lane, checked to make sure there weren't any lights coming up or down the road.  Staged the bike at about 3500 RPMs, visualized an imaginary light in head changing and gave the bike it's 1st official launch.  It felt real good and solid and hooked up almost immediately!  (I was having clutch issues earlier as the scissor mechanism was out of adjustment).  A couple more practice launches over the next couple days and I think I'll be ready for the drag strip Wednesday night!

Scottie

Cool!
1975 XLCH