Author Topic: What did you do to your Royal Enfield today?  (Read 1811869 times)

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3060 on: June 29, 2013, 09:01:08 pm
I didn't do anything either.
It's 112* F outside and it's only noon.  Looks like 118 is easily possible today.......

..........Yah, 118 is a bummer but I'll still take it to temperatures below freezing.  I might sweat a lot but that beats having some valuable part of my anatomy freeze off.  ;D

The only response I can come up with is...  Eff that!!!   :o

I live in Colorado now but I grew up in Wisconsin.  So, I've ridden in 100* F at 10,000 feet and also been on snowmobiles at -10* -20* F.  They both suck in their own individual ways, but 112 is crazy!  I have a pretty good idea what that must be like tho, because I have been inside of paint booths during the "bake cycle" at 130* F and that pretty much takes the breath out of you.  How the hell do you guys survive down there in Arizona?  And the rest of the desert areas for that matter?

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

foggy95

• Bulleteer
Reply #3061 on: June 29, 2013, 09:07:11 pm
Rode my C5 Classic (black) to the "Triumph Come Home Rally" in Oley, PA.  Fellow parked next to me with an older (pre-UCE). Only two Enfields there that I could find.

Are you on the forum here???

http://triumphcomehome.com/triumphcomehome.html
Chester County, PA
2021 Moto Guzzi V7 850

BrashRooster

• Bulleteer
  • Yeah I stepped in it.
Reply #3062 on: June 29, 2013, 09:46:39 pm
I got stuck yesterday but I am posting it today. I went for a little ride across the farm when coming back up a nice steep hill I discovered the soil was damp and rather more sand then soil. Stock C5 mil tires don't hold out in that situation. Needless to say I got unstuck after a bit of a stressful time. I can't say the bike doesn't have enough power that is for sure! I need to buy some dual sport tires. I don't want to do anything crazy or really that tough on my bike. We have lots of established paths that are not that rough. Im becoming more of a hermit so dual sport tires would be nice I could ride around the 120 acres and not ever leave home.
Signature

The_Rigger

• Grease Monkey
  • Mom Always Liked You Better...
Reply #3063 on: June 29, 2013, 10:09:21 pm
Yah, 118 is a bummer but I'll still take it to temperatures below freezing.  I might sweat a lot but that beats having some valuable part of my anatomy freeze off.

I can always put more clothing on in winter, but there's only so much you can take off in summer...  I'll gladly take sub-freezing over that kind of heat.
-Dave
2012 C5 Special
Central Michigan, USA (when I'm not working somewhere else)

Pauly

• Bulleteer
Reply #3064 on: June 29, 2013, 11:48:54 pm
Oil change number 2 at 1030 miles.  All went well.  Definetly have an oil leak where the shifter comes through the crank case.  Anyone replaced that seal?

Pauly
2010 G5
'84 Honda VF45

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #3065 on: June 30, 2013, 01:10:01 am
I don't think I've heard of anyone that actually needed to change that seal.

I have heard from a LOT of people who were convinced that seal was leaking though.
Most, if not all of them found that the oil that had accumulated right below that seal was actually oil that had been thrown off of the rear chain as they were riding.

I suggest that you buy a can of Disk Brake Cleaner and give the whole area a thorough cleaning.  While your at it, clean off the oil that dripped over the edge and has run onto the bottom of the oil sump too. 
Then, take the bike for a long ride.

When you get back, examine the area closely.
If the oil is nice clean thin engine oil you seal probably is leaking.
If the oil is thick, black stuff it is chain lube.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Pauly

• Bulleteer
Reply #3066 on: June 30, 2013, 01:44:35 am
It's leaking, I can actually see it, nice clear oil as opposed to thick grease. It only does it when the bike is on it's side stand. So I can just keep using the center stand.

Thanks for the response

Pauly
2010 G5
'84 Honda VF45

jartist

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3067 on: June 30, 2013, 05:46:01 am
The left side cover is really easy to remove and then the seal is right there easy to get to.  It's about a one and a half beer job.

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #3068 on: June 30, 2013, 08:33:59 pm
I got stuck yesterday but I am posting it today. I went for a little ride across the farm when coming back up a nice steep hill I discovered the soil was damp and rather more sand then soil. Stock C5 mil tires don't hold out in that situation. Needless to say I got unstuck after a bit of a stressful time. I can't say the bike doesn't have enough power that is for sure! I need to buy some dual sport tires. I don't want to do anything crazy or really that tough on my bike. We have lots of established paths that are not that rough. Im becoming more of a hermit so dual sport tires would be nice I could ride around the 120 acres and not ever leave home.
Welcome in my world. I had to find that out the hard way too.  ;D
Also in the market for dual sport tyres. Not much choice for the front in the 19" size but for 18" the pick is larger.
Currently Heidenau K60 rear and Pirelli scorpion front lead my list.
moriunt omnes pauci vivunt

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #3069 on: June 30, 2013, 10:29:14 pm
Look into some Asian Dual Sports (TRIALS TIRES), they are every bit as good, but without the snob appeal or price.
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

i.candide

• Bulleteer
  • Romancing the Life
Reply #3070 on: July 03, 2013, 04:11:49 am
Picked my new 2012 C5 Classic Teal and rode it home. Glorious.

Then took many photos
Romancing the life
On a 2015 Military Green C5
In Southern California

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3071 on: July 03, 2013, 04:29:47 am
That's awesome!  Now go break in that motor.  Be safe and have fun!     :D

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

The_Rigger

• Grease Monkey
  • Mom Always Liked You Better...
Reply #3072 on: July 03, 2013, 04:43:37 am
Finally got home! Yay!!!

I utterly failed to mount the Lycett solo seat on the bike - turns out the frame is bent all to shit and miswelded - but I *did* get the Vista Cruise and the new Hagons mounted, in anticipation of tomorrow morning's ride to the Soo.  Also replaced the 2" round Halcyon "gunfighter" bar-end mirrors with 3" round mirror heads (part #829, I believe), which are far more easy to see into.

Spent about an hour, just toodling around town this evening.... Gawd, it's good to be home and on Fiona again.  8)
-Dave
2012 C5 Special
Central Michigan, USA (when I'm not working somewhere else)

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #3073 on: July 03, 2013, 06:47:58 pm
Pics of the Vista Cruise?  Which part number did you get?  I've been thinking of adding one of these for long trips.

Scott

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3074 on: July 03, 2013, 08:43:25 pm
Im becoming more of a hermit so dual sport tires would be nice I could ride around the 120 acres and not ever leave home.

K70s work well in most mild off road conditions. But not swamps and bogs! Trials tires for those. They still are reasonably good on pavement. Full knobbies go away rather quickly.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com