Author Topic: What did you do to your Royal Enfield today?  (Read 1812208 times)

rvcycleguy

• Grease Monkey
Reply #3015 on: June 14, 2013, 03:42:45 pm
Went to Euro Bike night last evening.  The local chapter of BMOA hosts every Thursday at a Draught Pub.  Enjoyed meeting a new group and seeing their rides.  Lots of Triumphs, BSA as expected.  They loved the vintage RE that I rode up on.  One guy even rode up on his Triumph with a Kilt and boots.  I guess thats one way to stay cool while riding....   

Heading to the Republic of Texas (ROT) rally in Austin Texas today for the weekend.  One of the bigger events in the US with 200k bikers arriving for the rally.  As many people know, there is more to do in Austin than the rally, so a group of us take in the beautiful hill country roads on Saturday. 
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 03:45:34 pm by rvcycleguy »
1956 Bullet 500 (G2) Custom tank, Silencer Muffler, Powder Coated Chassis
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50 (800cc) Touring set-up. white walls, pearl white w/ ghost flames

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3016 on: June 16, 2013, 01:58:12 am
Bad news is I pulled my barrel to find I can't do the crankcase breather mod since I have no machined crescent in the case.  So I just ran the oil tank breather to a duckbill out the back.
Went for a 75 mile ride of mixed back roads, suburban streets, and a run down Indianhead Highway and back to see if she would spit oil.  Good news is she doesn't spit oil in any driving condition or speed.  Bad news is I was going up hill against a strong headwind and my buddy's Suzuki left me in the dust.  Good News is when we stop anywhere people ask about the Enfield and ignore my Buddy's bikes.  Bad news is (yeah) downhill with a strong tailwind my buddy's Suzuki left me in the dust. ;D
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

Alan LaRue

• Bulleteer
  • Commute Time is Not the Worst Time of Day
Reply #3017 on: June 16, 2013, 02:30:47 am
If you want to make it all good news, maybe you should consider adding a second cylinder!

(Seriously, I enjoyed that post -- made me smile.)
Chinese food beats hopes and dreams any day.

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #3018 on: June 16, 2013, 02:24:35 pm
06.15.2013:
Nice early morning ride on mixed city and highway. 30 miles to Los Lunas, 40 after flying, then another 30 home. Gave me a good idea how the new exhaust sounded at highway speeds (50-55mph). Very satisfied with the look and sound. Averaged approx. 48mpg.
Post-ride inspection I noted the split pin for the rear axle jam nut was gone. Checked the chain tension and it looks like I'll be tightening it a notch or two and lubing it again. Sprocket teeth still looking good.
Ordering a Tsubaki chain today, unless Cycle Gear has something better in stock.

'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3019 on: June 16, 2013, 09:33:00 pm
Bad news is I was going up hill against a strong headwind and my buddy's Suzuki left me in the dust.  Good News is when we stop anywhere people ask about the Enfield and ignore my Buddy's bikes.  Bad news is (yeah) downhill with a strong tailwind my buddy's Suzuki left me in the dust.

This is the stuff that makes riding an Enfield such great fun, it's the challenges you came across and the great gratification of figuring out how to beat those challenges!
On the other bikes, you just don't recognize the challenges because all you have to do is roll on the throttle. Anybody can do that!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Mcurrier

• Scooter
  • 2011 G5
Reply #3020 on: June 16, 2013, 11:40:13 pm
I finally got around to switching out my Bosch POS spark plug to a new champion plug and boy is there a big difference. My idle is now extremely steady and the bike just overall feels better.  That's the best $2 I've spent in a long time.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3021 on: June 17, 2013, 12:49:21 am
Went for a short Father's Day ride around town just cruising and enjoying the weather.  As I was getting ready to head home I decided to jump on I225.  Maybe some of you can relate with me, but I have a on/off ramp addiction.  I just love accelerating through the curves and see how fast I can get going before I merge onto the interstate.    ;D  Anyways, I needed to get my adrenaline fix, and this particular ramp is a really fun 2 lane overhead "S" ramp that starts tight and switches back into a sweeper down to the straight stretch.  I haven't had a chance to push the Indian in some actual curves so I gave her hell!  The bike handled pretty damn good for old tires and worn suspension.  As I was coming out of the sweeper I looked down And I was cooking at a nice 70mph+ ( 87mph according to Mr Smiths ).

THEN as I was coming up on my exit ramp ( under construction of course ) I noticed they moved the temporary ramp again and it was now a straight stretch to the stoplight at the end.  AND it was completely enclosed with concrete barricades. Sooooo I had to open it up and cranked on it just so I could hear the cocktail shakers rattle off of the barricades.    ;D ;D ;D

I had a good time.

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #3022 on: June 17, 2013, 02:12:03 am
As far as I know, I'm not a father(  ;) ), so spent the afternoon cleaning, inspecting, adjusting the chain, lubing, and checking the ride.
Alignment felt good, so I opened it up on a straight stretch with walls on either side for about 1/2 mile.
The Megaphone made a hell of a racket! Very satisfying!
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

Techmaven

• Scooter
Reply #3023 on: June 17, 2013, 03:34:16 am
I re-started mine 6 times on a 25 mile ride!

AussieDave

• Grand Gearhead
  • How does this thing work?..Ouch..oh..
Reply #3024 on: June 17, 2013, 02:30:20 pm
new rubber! k70'S rule. 120 Bucks fitted while-u-wait from pablo's in melbourne.perfect tension spot on alignment. feels good.couldn't ask for a better service.
"Glorious,stirring sight! The poetry of motion! The real way to travel! The only way to travel! ... O bliss ! O poop poop ! Oh my! Oh my!" - Toad of Toad Hall.

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #3025 on: June 18, 2013, 03:07:25 am
I've been eyeballing their trailers for awhile.
Please keep us posted.

helo

Speaking from recent experience, I can honestly say the Harbor-Freight trailer conversion is dicer than one might think.

I bull-dogged through a conversion (not quite finished in time) and figured I could "make-do" ......

Well, my wife was not impressed with having to help lift the B5 off my back, and, help me extract it from in between the trailer and car-bumper.

The good news is, I hear replacement front fenders are reasonably available from NFG through my local dealer !
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

The_Rigger

• Grease Monkey
  • Mom Always Liked You Better...
Reply #3026 on: June 18, 2013, 06:47:21 pm
Flew home on the Monday morning 0600 red-eye from Minneapolis, hitched a ride out to Hastings, and (finally) picked up Fiona at the dealership and rode Her home.  First time she's seen my driveway in ten months.  Boy was that fun... And not nearly long enough. But I have plans to do a nice run up the spine of Michigan to Sault Ste. Marie for the July 4th holiday.  I get home from Tour on the 2nd, and will spend that day fitting Fiona out for a VistaCruise throttle clamp and swapping her OEM chain for a nice new DID X-ring model...

I notice that an hour or so of riding at 45-55mph has begun to discolor the Hitchcock pipe already, up at the head connection...  Any way to avoid or minimize that, short of not actually riding the bike?
-Dave
2012 C5 Special
Central Michigan, USA (when I'm not working somewhere else)

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #3027 on: June 18, 2013, 09:26:42 pm
Well, my wife was not impressed with having to help lift the B5 off my back, and, help me extract it from in between the trailer and car-bumper.

:o  Gremlin, hope you're ok!!!

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #3028 on: June 18, 2013, 10:07:03 pm
:o  Gremlin, hope you're ok!!!

Angels protect the young and the idiotic ......  I'm not young, but, I'm OK.
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

rvcycleguy

• Grease Monkey
Reply #3029 on: June 18, 2013, 11:02:58 pm
spent the day modifying a 40x48 inch harbor freight trailer kit for hauling the B5.

Going to test it tomorrow with a 200 mile drive to Lanesboro, MN.

I bought one of the HF 4'x8' folding trailers.  Folds in half and stands upright on casters.  Roll it in the garage and place it against the wall.  Takes up very little space.  Add decking, wheel chock and some anchor bolts for tie downs and you have a decent MC trailer for less than $300. 
1956 Bullet 500 (G2) Custom tank, Silencer Muffler, Powder Coated Chassis
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50 (800cc) Touring set-up. white walls, pearl white w/ ghost flames