Author Topic: What did you do to your Royal Enfield today?  (Read 1811257 times)

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2745 on: March 06, 2013, 11:12:53 pm
Now that's what i call "Latte on the go."

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2746 on: March 06, 2013, 11:20:24 pm
Yesterday, whilst on a short ride I got another run of intermittent power loss.
For some reason bang on 90 kph. So back on a steady 80kph cruise I arrived home safely.
Checked the plug - it appeared fine, next step the battery.
Off with the cover and old faithful had done it again. The negative cable 'O' ring cable lug had broken completely off.
New one fitted and off shortly for a test run

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #2747 on: March 09, 2013, 11:10:44 am
Random story but this has happened for the first time since I got the RE -

Was coming home from a decent quick ride of the town..approx 20mi in total. And, for the last 4 or 5 miles, I noticed this little car in the mirrors that had been following me for all this distance. I said to myself 'what the hell is wrong with this guy?!' and thought I'd just let him pass by pulling over. But nope, this guy was still on my tail. So I finally stopped and looked over.

The guy came over and just wanted to know where I bought the Bullet from..being quite rare here in Australia, albeit I've seen 1 more in my local area!! He said he's seen me on the bike numerous times before whilst on his job as a security officer (at the local shopping centre) :-X and today his going home time coincided with mine and this guy kept following, lol.

So yeah. Another RE lover I suppose.  ;D
Sons continuing wars, our fathers were enemies

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #2748 on: March 15, 2013, 03:49:46 am
Another oil and oil filter change today.
It's been over 2100 miles since the last one and although the Periodical Maintenance in the book says I can go from 7500 miles to 11250 without changing it I figure what the hey, at 9300 miles and with summer coming and with the hot  110+ F. temperatures we get here I want some good fresh oil instead of some tired oil in there.

Apparently, some breaking in is still going on because both sump magnets had some steel fuzz on them.  Also, a few slivers of steel were caught in the pick up screen.  Probably off of the transmission dogs.
Still, breaking in or not, it's running great.  Vibration is almost non existant even at 65-75 mph.  MUCH better than my old Honda CX500 twin that would put my hands to sleep after a 20 minute ride. :)

I also changed the spark plug although the one that I took out shows no signs of wear or carbon after 7000 miles of use.

As a side note to the newcomers to the UCE, after almost two years and 9 oil changes I am still using the original O-rings that came with the bike.
When you change your oil you do not have to change those O-rings unless they were damaged while you were removing the sump pickup drain or the oil filter cap.
 Remember that trying to remove them from their grooves can damage them so just wipe them and their mating surfaces clean and reuse them.
It is a good idea to wipe a little fresh oil on the filter covers O-ring to lube it while it slips into place.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

The_Rigger

• Grease Monkey
  • Mom Always Liked You Better...
Reply #2749 on: March 15, 2013, 08:28:39 pm
Ordered a pair of Hagons and an upswept exhaust pipe, in hopes of getting the bike actually fixed before the Apocalypse...
-Dave
2012 C5 Special
Central Michigan, USA (when I'm not working somewhere else)

Jack Leis

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 G5 Classic, F&%king Stolen
Reply #2750 on: March 15, 2013, 08:34:03 pm
Found that I have a broken shaft on the left shock today. So naturally I ordered a set of Hagon's too !
I would much rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow    Jack

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #2751 on: March 16, 2013, 12:23:29 am
Well..yesterday..I enocuntered my first tyre puncture on the RE and motorcycles as a whole. I bought the RE about 1 year and a month ago. I don't know how such a long as son of a metal can get in to the tyre. But oh well, I just took the wheel off and took it the local bike shop to get the tube replaced etc. Just have to collect it now  ;D

Here's the culprit :

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #2752 on: March 16, 2013, 02:40:58 am
It's easy to pick up a nail, especially by loading docks.  The pallettes used in shipping break up and shed them all the time.

Scott

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #2753 on: March 16, 2013, 08:42:09 am
Yeah I guess. I think it was good for me in the sense that while the tyre was getting fixed, I took off the sprocket/brake drum and cleaned it out. Ever since I bought it, I had never done that..so there was a lot of brake pad gunk in there. A good dose of brake cleaner and sand-paper did the trick. Also lubed the brake cam while I was at it. Now the rear brake runs smoother than ever..no more annoying squeaks.  ;D

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #2754 on: March 18, 2013, 11:10:56 pm
Got first speeding ticket on a bullet. Another myth bites the dust. :)

Actually it was a bushwacker's speedtrap. Myth still stands.  :(

moriunt omnes pauci vivunt

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #2755 on: March 19, 2013, 12:33:06 am
Got first speeding ticket on a bullet. Another myth bites the dust. :)

We should to create a travelling trophy for this !!!!   That is a Monumental achievement !
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

mplayle

• Bulleteer
Reply #2756 on: March 19, 2013, 01:50:51 am
First oil/filter change - finally crossed the 300 mile initial break-in last week.

benknrobbers

• Scooter
  • Bohica
Reply #2757 on: March 20, 2013, 04:26:37 am
I cut the straps off of a gas mask carrier, and sewed them back on in a different position so they would hold the bag to the bike flap side up. Then I sat on the bike in my garage for a while and wished that I could go out for a ride.  :-\ I'm counting the days till I can get a my motorcycle safety class. Damn MSF and their non record keeping ways.
Always prepare for the worst and your surprises will always be pleasant ones.

AusG5

• Scooter
Reply #2758 on: March 20, 2013, 11:17:55 am
Got my G5 back from the dyno tuning, got a PCV fit on, 21.5hp at the wheel. took it to the drags, ran a 17.303, i know its not important, but has anyone else done the 1/4 mile

im running a 18t front sprocket, medium weight loss, k&n straight on intake and a custom exhaust

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2759 on: March 20, 2013, 05:43:14 pm
What exhaust are you running? That's pretty good horsepower!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com