Author Topic: What did you do to your Royal Enfield today?  (Read 1811998 times)

FiRE Comms

• Bulleteer
  • '11 C5
Reply #2460 on: December 04, 2012, 04:29:21 pm
Caught a flat on the rear, hoping to get the tube switched out this afternoon for one last ride before another deployment...
Chris

Jack Leis

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 G5 Classic, F&%king Stolen
Reply #2461 on: December 04, 2012, 05:19:32 pm
Finally installed a 7" headlight. Looks really cool !
I would much rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow    Jack

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #2462 on: December 04, 2012, 06:24:26 pm
Finally installed a 7" headlight. Looks really cool !

Good Deal !
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #2463 on: December 04, 2012, 06:34:15 pm
The bike was sitting too long and since it was only light rain yesterday I charged it up and rode to work and back.  Felt good to get out.

Scott

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2464 on: December 04, 2012, 11:24:53 pm
Shimmed the left footpeg so it wouldn't fold up all the way, then went out to lunch to the Lazy Dog. The bike feels totally different since Sunday's run to get the fork oil mixed properly. It does everything more smoothly as far as steering and handling go. Feels like I got a new bike!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

FiRE Comms

• Bulleteer
  • '11 C5
Reply #2465 on: December 04, 2012, 11:53:32 pm
yeah new inner-tube! looks like the rim band was not installed properly and a spoke nipple punctured the tube...  just something else to look after...
Chris

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2466 on: December 05, 2012, 12:21:10 am
Grind the spokes down where they are flush with the nipple.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

motorat

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2467 on: December 05, 2012, 12:40:01 am
i ran a ring of duct tape over the rim band.
Joe
08 dl650abs
 c5 military

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #2468 on: December 06, 2012, 11:34:39 pm
Today I hopefully fixed a couple of things.

For the last month, my G5 has been leaking a bit of oil from the front rocker arm cover.  Not a lot.  Just enough to dampen the top cooling fin.  It was more of an annoyance than a Oh My God sort of thing.
The bike also is up to 8100 miles so I decided to do as the Owners Manual says and replaced the fuel hose (although the old one looked fine with no cracks, delamination or deterioration that would cause the rubber to 'wipe off' of the inside).

To fix the oil leak, I removed the seat, fuel tank and rocker cover and applied a thin coating of Ultra-Black oil resistant RTV silicone to both sides of the gasket.
This gasket is a preformed elastomer that has a tab engaging a slot in the cover and I figure it's possible for oil to leak around both sides so I coated both sides of the gasket with the RTV.
Although it wasn't leaking, while I had the tank off I decided to also do this to the intake valves cover gasket.  The intake side by the way took a bit of sneaking to get it off but by moving the wiring harness and the control cables on the top tube a little, it can be done.

While I had the tank off, I remembered that the low fuel sending unit seemed to quit working about a year ago so I thought it was a good time to look at it to see what the problem was.
When It was out I couldn't believe what I saw.
A apparently glass tube with a wire inside of it, surrounded by a translucent gelatinous blob.  Nothing else.
I wiped off the goo which was about the consistancy of Jello.
I assume the float and whatever else used to be there has been floating around inside the tank for the past year.
Any of you folks know what I should have been seeing???

I guess my biggest concern is that the goo might screw up my $200 fuel pump or plug its built in fuel filter. The pump is working fine now so I decided to leave it alone rather than risk damaging it by removing it.
The bike is still under warranty but that will run out in 5 months.  If it does screw up my pump, hopefully Kevin will recall my Jello-like findings story and give me a break on the replacement.  After all, if the damn fuel level sender wouldn't have dissolved I wouldn't have Jello like crap inside my fuel tank.

Another thing that I thought needed some attention was the flat black rubber strap that holds the ECU in place.
This has at most seen one hour of sunlight in its life but it is developing some severe stress cracks, some of which go all the way thru the strap.  This sort of thing happens to some rubber when it is under constant stress and it really should be replaced but stuff like this is only available to Dealers service department.
I can understand this but it kinda sucks for someone who doesn't really trust their bikes to an unknown mechanic at a service center that has probably never even taken a RE apart.
Anyway, I have an old foam sleeping pad that's made for hiking that had two flat nylon straps with loops on it.  It now has one strap on it.  The other was looped thru the two metal loops that hold the rubber strap on and cinched down to apply a little load and serve as a 'backup' for the black rubber strap.

Everything is back together now and the bike is running like a champ.
Because the oil leak was very slow, it will take a day or so before I know that the leak problem is truly fixed so for now, my fingers are crossed. :)
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 11:41:41 pm by Arizoni »
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #2469 on: December 06, 2012, 11:44:32 pm
The design of the fuel level sensor has changed a few times.  The ones I've seen are all black plastic.  The bottom plug has a plastic rod coming out of the top.  The rod has a circlip on the top and the float rides on the rod, kept on by the circlip.  The float is a cylinder of rigid foam.  I think there's a metal washer in it that trips the sensor when it goes to the bottom.

When mine went bad it was the foam that stopped floating, it sank like a stone.

I suspect the goo you saw was what was left of the float after our alcohol laden US fuel mostly dissolved it.  Was there a metal washer or other metal bit near the bottom of the goo?

Call your dealer, explain what's up.  They should get you a new sensor under warranty and if they're cool they'll probably let you install it yourself.

Scott

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2470 on: December 07, 2012, 03:44:55 am
i think my dealer charged me for mine. it was about $26.00.
If you read the warranty, electrical stuff isn't covered. Beware
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2471 on: December 07, 2012, 05:50:30 am
I took a little 120 mile round tripper down to San Clemente to find a bike shop my grandson had told me about, Montgomery Motorcycle Company. They specialize in vintage bikes and had a variety of Brit bikes in there, including a 1947 Bullet.
Pictures after I get a chance to sort them
I also passed the 15,000 mile mark!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2472 on: December 07, 2012, 07:15:09 pm
A few pics form Montgomery's.
Besides these were more Ariels, Matchless, BSA, Triumphs and harleys
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #2473 on: December 08, 2012, 12:25:51 am
Nice pictures.  You really have to wonder about the British back in the early days.
I think that front brake on the AJS might be good for stopping a pedal type bicycle but a motorcycle?   ;D

I gave my G5 a oil leak test by doing a 25 mile trip.  Although it was short a good 6 miles of it was on the freeway running at an indicated speed of 70 mph (113 kmph) so the engine got well warmed up.  No leaks yet.  :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2474 on: December 08, 2012, 01:03:54 am
State of the art for those days.
Have you ever tried to stop a '58 Chrysler going down a mountain road at road racing speeds? They last about 3 corners before they totally fade away. You can stand on that brake pedal and they do not respond one iota! It's time for Plan B! And you still are rolling when you get the truck that's parked halfway across the road and the guy whose coming up the road and passing the truck actually backs up to get out of your way! Sharp guy, that dude!
Part of one of those three cats I've outlived!
Oh, yeah, I forgot, I cleaned up the Bullet for tomorrow's run to the IMS Show.
Knew I was here for something!
Bare
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 01:07:28 am by barenekd »
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer