Author Topic: What did you do to your Royal Enfield today?  (Read 1811943 times)

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2370 on: October 25, 2012, 07:25:13 pm
I need to check the connection on the fuel warning light; it didn't flash at all this time. 

My fuel warning light gave up the ghost ages ago as I ran out of gas waiting for it. I haven't fixed it yet, mostly because I haven't figured out where the power is supposed to come from. The bulb works and the switch works. Really just considering running a hot wire to the switch instead of going the all the wickets as it does now.
Just need one of those round toits
Bare
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 05:52:19 pm by barenekd »
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

The_Rigger

• Grease Monkey
  • Mom Always Liked You Better...
Reply #2371 on: October 26, 2012, 04:45:01 pm
So there's two TDC's per complete cycle, yes?

Yes; at the top of the compression stroke, just before the cylinder fires, and again at the top of the exhaust stroke, just before the intake stroke.

If it always stops at the beginning of the compression cycle, do I slowly push it past the next TDC, which would be just after ignition, then kick it through the power stroke, exhaust stroke, and intake stroke, and compression stroke, where it (hopefully) fires, or do I slowly push it around 1/2 a cycle to just past TDC of the exhaust stroke and kick it through the intake stroke and compression stroke, where it (hopefully) fires?

I've had the most success presetting the piston (if you will) just past the peak of the compression stroke, just as it eases off into the power stroke; the first of your scenarios. Whether that's because the kick builds momentum into the flywheel that keeps the piston moving quickly into the next compression stroke or not is unknown to me, but it seems to work first-time-every-time when I do that. I think it is also drawing a fresh charge of air-fuel mixture into the cylinder, which will deflagrate much more easily at the ignition point, rather than trying to light off some stale AFM, but that's purely a guess on my part.
-Dave
2012 C5 Special
Central Michigan, USA (when I'm not working somewhere else)

The_Rigger

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2372 on: October 26, 2012, 05:15:29 pm
Ordered some replacement LEDs for Fiona today, in case she ever gets out of the repair shop and I ever get home to ride her... Gonna put 4-LED amber BA9s in the pilot lamps, replace the neutral/hi-beam/turn signal indicator BA9s with 4-LED lamps, and replace the brake/tail lamp with an 1157-R24 unit.

Sitting in Washington DC this week and the next two, playing at the Kennedy Center. I WANT MY BIKE BACK!! WAAAAAAAAAAH....
-Dave
2012 C5 Special

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #2373 on: October 26, 2012, 05:39:47 pm
........I think it is also drawing a fresh charge of air-fuel mixture into the cylinder, which will deflagrate much more easily at the ignition point, rather than trying to light off some stale AFM, but that's purely a guess on my part.

+1 = An educated guess, to be sure.

I'd imagine the stale AFM had condensed out to become mixed with the residual oil on the cylinder walls shortly after parking the bike.
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

Alan LaRue

• Bulleteer
  • Commute Time is Not the Worst Time of Day
Reply #2374 on: October 26, 2012, 10:41:23 pm
Sitting in Washington DC this week and the next two, playing at the Kennedy Center.

Playing what? Tuba, viola? Sounds like a cool job!
Chinese food beats hopes and dreams any day.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2375 on: October 27, 2012, 06:21:41 pm
Yesterday, Jack and I rode over the Chino airport to check out the airplane museums there. He hadn't been in years and I  haven't been in Planes of Fame for 3 or 4 years myself. The ride over was extremely windy and dusty, with a few good shots of sand in the face, and the temps got up into mid 80s for me, for Jack, probably into the 90s
Several other people in the parking stopped us and chatted about the Enfields, delaying us another 20 or 30 minutes before we could go in!
They did have some new stuff in there that I hadn't seen, a Curtiss P-1, a P-40B, A genuine German Bf-109, needing a lot of work, An F8F Bearcat,  Val, and Judy that are in the restorations shop.  There were some additional Formula 1 racers, too.
At Yanks, I don't recall seeing anything new from the last time I was there, but I always enjoy seeing the old '20s Biplanes. Those are my favorites.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

sparklow

• Bulleteer
  • Never half ass two things, whole ass one thing ...
Reply #2376 on: October 28, 2012, 12:25:33 am
Rode the B5 on a lovely ride through the Berkshires of Mass. with crew from Mark's Motorsports, Enfield CT, Royal Enfield dealer.
2022 Meteor Fireball Red
2011 B5 Bullet

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #2377 on: October 28, 2012, 11:52:00 pm
Rode to and from work, then put it away, at least until whatever incarnation of Sandy makes it to coastal Maine passes.  You right-coasters - I hope everyone is safe out there!!!

motorat

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2378 on: October 29, 2012, 02:18:00 am
installed the new air filter and turned the old air box into a tool box with a piece of plastic i found in the garage and some form a gasket.
Joe
08 dl650abs
 c5 military

motorat

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2379 on: October 30, 2012, 03:11:40 pm
rode to work today in the pea soup fog....what fun!
Joe
08 dl650abs
 c5 military

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #2380 on: October 30, 2012, 06:28:53 pm
I liked Matt's luggage rack modification so much, I ordered one for my  sleeping B5.
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

john hut

• John Hut
  • Scooter
  • EFI Bulleteer
Reply #2381 on: October 30, 2012, 10:26:01 pm
Waxed and oiled the bike for winter,still intend riding when the weather is dry,I dont mind the cold, just dont like the wet which we have had pretty much of this year in the UK..Cut a piece of scrap wood 300mm long to fit under front engine mounting plates to lift front wheel off the ground to make it easier to clean,just lift at front of mudguard and slide under.
John Electra Deluxe Efi

Desi Bike

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2382 on: October 30, 2012, 10:49:26 pm
Charged the battery by running the engine at various speeds. Unable to ride due to lack of insurance, the bike is due to due to be moth balled for some time... I've offered my bike to Aniket for research and development of the flame thrower fireball UCE. 17,000 km of enjoyment..... Aniket and Tom have free will of R+D to what ever they need to do to make our bikes do what they are capable of.
میں نہیں چاہتا کہ ایک اچار
میں صرف اپنی موٹر سائیکل پر سوار کرنا چاہتے ہیں

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #2383 on: October 30, 2012, 11:50:52 pm
I filled up my gas tank to find out what the fuel mileage was on the last leg of my ride this weekend.

I left my house last Friday and rode my G5 from Phoenix to Flagstaff, Arizona to do some work on my sons house and rode back on Monday (when the  highway traffic from Northern Arizona is light).

I normally ride without a windshield but for this trip, I reinstalled it.  There were more than one Kamikaze bugs that tried to take me out on the trip and their remains are now battle trophy's, still stuck to the Plexiglas which makes my decision to install it seem wise.

The first 90 mile leg of the trip took me from 1200 feet elevation to 5000 feet elevation in Payson, Arizona where I refilled the tank.  This 90 mile leg of the trip has several 6 to 7 percent mountain grades and in places keeping the bike above 55 mph was asking a lot of it but for most of the riding I was riding at a nice 62-67 mph.
The bike got 63.94 MPG ( miles per (US) gallon).

From Payson, I rode thru Pine, Strawberry, Clints Well, Mormon Lake, Lake Mary and ended up in Flagstaff.  This  102 mile leg of the trip took me from Payson's 5000 feet to 6900 feet elevation and then back down I-17 about 10 miles to my sons house where I took the picture below.
All of this leg of the trip is riding on a moderately twisty paved 2 lane highway thru a heavy Ponderosa Pine forest.
The bike got 79 MPG thru this stretch of the trip.

Coming back, from Flagstaff to Payson netted me almost the same fuel mileage at 78.2 MPG.

From Payson to Phoenix (which included about 20 miles of city riding) the bike got 83.33 MPG.

It was a great ride up and back with the daytime temperatures in the low 80 degree F in the lower desert, juniper areas and with the high elevations in the low 50's (degree F).  The only thing that wasn't perfect was after sitting for 2 days without running and with the low temperatures at night being around 26 degrees F, the bike wasn't too sure it wanted to start on Monday morning.
After trying twice with the electric starter I let it sit for 10 minutes and then decided to actually use the "Manual bi-Starter" lever.  I have never had to use this in Phoenix but I must admit that with it fully applied, the next bump of the electric starter resulted  in an instant start.  :)

All in all, an excellent trip!   :)  Not a drop of oil used, no problems of any kind and a total fuel cost for the 382 mile journey being $17.75 I'm a happy RE rider!  ;D
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

The_Rigger

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2384 on: November 01, 2012, 04:31:37 am
Quote from: The_Rigger
Sitting in Washington DC this week and the next two, playing at the Kennedy Center.
Playing what? Tuba, viola? Sounds like a cool job!

I'm on the crew of the touring Broadway play "War Horse;" I run the automation system, and am also the show's rigger, hanging over 35,000 lbs. of lighting and scenery from the stagehouse superstructure.

EDIT: And it's the coolest job in the known universe, if you must know.  8)
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 04:33:54 am by The_Rigger »
-Dave
2012 C5 Special