Author Topic: What did you do to your Royal Enfield today?  (Read 1811757 times)

eda1bulletc5

• Bulleteer
Reply #2235 on: October 02, 2012, 06:17:23 pm
I have had wiring issues in my C5; where the wiring harness coming from the tail light assembly (under the rear fender) had rubbed at the exit point - where it exits out of the rear fender and goes to a connector in the middle of the bike and had cut the harness and the wires shorted. Failure was the tail light and fuse went bad. Upon inspection I found that the wiring harness when enters underneath the rear fender has a rubber gourmet but at the point it exits the rear fender to the connector there were non. I put in some rubber beading on the fender edge to prevent harness rubbing the metal and had the dealer work on the wiring harness - which was less than perfect as it was soldered and taped. I needed the bike so let it stay that way until it breaks again - not the right approach; but again love riding the RE so was willing to overlook that  :)
This seems like a pretty common failure point so I am assuming others have faced this problem too...
2011 RE C5 (@25K + miles)
2012 Honda NC700X 6-speed (sold @26K miles)
2013 BMW R1200RT (@43K + miles)

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2236 on: October 02, 2012, 06:43:04 pm
mentioned that you found some bare wires that might have caused your short.
Where were they in case I run out of things to do and want to look to see if mine are also damaged?

This was some stuff that I had rewired. I had to extend the dimmer switch wires to the relays I installed and there was a bit of bare wire exposed at the splices. Not sure that is what shorted, but it had to have been something like that as it cured itself the first time as I wiggled some wires around, and I had it running, then after a few minutes, it shorted again. I took more panel and the tank off to look more closely at the wires and little bare spots here and there were all I came up with. I insulated all of them and it's working now, so, like I said, no definitive answer. I hope I hit the right spot. Tomorrow, it's supposed to cool down a bit and I might get out for a longer check ride. I did check the tail light wires in all this, but they were OK, too.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

wokka

• Bulleteer
Reply #2237 on: October 02, 2012, 09:30:50 pm
Well it was a few days ago actually, I cancelled my Dubai registration and got all my paperwork ready to ship her to her new home in Qatar

Jack Leis

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 G5 Classic, F&%king Stolen
Reply #2238 on: October 04, 2012, 12:39:18 am
Took off my OEM seat and installed an old fashion solo seat from Hitchcocks today. SWEET! Going to try it out on an EPIC RIDE tomorrow with Bare. Cant wait.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 12:42:41 am by Jack Leis »
I would much rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow    Jack

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #2239 on: October 04, 2012, 11:45:46 am
Took off my OEM seat and installed an old fashion solo seat from Hitchcocks today. SWEET! Going to try it out on an EPIC RIDE tomorrow with Bare. Cant wait.

Needless, perhaps, to say Jack, but how about a report on how your seats perform on a longer ride?  ;)

Jack Leis

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2240 on: October 04, 2012, 12:43:35 pm
Roger that ! More to be revealed, Mattsz.

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 - C5 Classic Black
Reply #2241 on: October 04, 2012, 06:03:38 pm
I have had wiring issues in my C5; where the wiring harness coming from the tail light assembly (under the rear fender) had rubbed at the exit point - where it exits out of the rear fender and goes to a connector in the middle of the bike and had cut the harness and the wires shorted. Failure was the tail light and fuse went bad. Upon inspection I found that the wiring harness when enters underneath the rear fender has a rubber gourmet but at the point it exits the rear fender to the connector there were non. I put in some rubber beading on the fender edge to prevent harness rubbing the metal and had the dealer work on the wiring harness - which was less than perfect as it was soldered and taped. I needed the bike so let it stay that way until it breaks again - not the right approach; but again love riding the RE so was willing to overlook that  :)
This seems like a pretty common failure point so I am assuming others have faced this problem too...
The same thing happened to me a few weeks ago, I did a quick fix myself, though I when I get the chance again, I will solder the wires together for a more permanent fix, almost all the wires got shredded.
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2242 on: October 04, 2012, 10:46:59 pm
Jack and I were going to do an epic ride today, but when he arrived at my house, his oil filter cap was leaking. So we worked on the bike to cure the leak and went down tho the Orange County RE dealer and picked up some oil filter kits.  Jack used the gasket and Oring from the kit with a bit of sealer I had and it looks like the leak is stopped. I took the short ride with him up through Carbon Canyon to get a few more miles on my bike to see if the short is going to show up again. It didn't, and Jack went back home. His new seat looks good and feels pretty good to me when it's just sitting there.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2243 on: October 04, 2012, 11:42:13 pm
Brought a new battery maintainer, charged up the 11.3 v Gel battery..It's been a PIA the last few times kick starting..Started 1st kick and went for a ride whereas I went over the 10k mark..Nice day for a ride..
Oh Magoo you done it again

Jack Leis

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2244 on: October 05, 2012, 02:13:42 am
Jack and I were going to do an epic ride today, but when he arrived at my house, his oil filter cap was leaking. So we worked on the bike to cure the leak and went down tho the Orange County RE dealer and picked up some oil filter kits.  Jack used the gasket and Oring from the kit with a bit of sealer I had and it looks like the leak is stopped. I took the short ride with him up through Carbon Canyon to get a few more miles on my bike to see if the short is going to show up again. It didn't, and Jack went back home. His new seat looks good and feels pretty good to me when it's just sitting there.
Bare
Thanks Bare for your help today. Yes, the leak is cured but the day wasn't a total loss. It was cool hanging in your MAN CAVE and checking out your racing stuff. I got what I wanted, that can of CINCINATTI CHILE ! Thanks again Bare ! Mattsz, put 100 miles on the new seat today, that sucker really works. Very impressed , very comfortable.

hillntx

• Shriner Bulleteer
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2011 G5 Classic, 2004 Sixty-5, 2010 C5 Classic
Reply #2245 on: October 05, 2012, 01:00:08 pm
What I was trying to ask was the difference in drving related to the different tire size.

Since the engines are the same and the new C5's are now mostly Specials with the 19" front wheel, the question really comes down to looks.  With the 18 tooth front sprocket on the G5 it's easier to attain highway speeds at lower revs.

Fogrunner

• Bulleteer
Reply #2246 on: October 06, 2012, 06:38:35 pm
I received my Dynojet Power Commander a while ago, but after reading comments on this site, and the experience of some members, I sent it to the Royal Enfield Importer in Manila for him to test it out. He has a few bikes they experiment with and modify, and said he would be happy to try it and abuse the hell out of it to give it a good shakedown. He's got one bike with 13000 Kms on it, and they only began importing at the end of February!! Looking forward to his take on it, and any anomalies to be found. I'll post any results when they are available.
Phil
2012 G5 Classic

Jack Leis

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2247 on: October 08, 2012, 09:36:58 pm
 Got the bike ready for an EPIC RIDE tomorrow with Bare. Went to gas it up and a guy came over to me and shook my hand and said NICE RESTORATION to me and walked away. I never had a chance to tell him its a 2011. Oh well !

Alan LaRue

• Bulleteer
  • Commute Time is Not the Worst Time of Day
Reply #2248 on: October 08, 2012, 10:04:30 pm
Even though this was the nicest work-day morning since last March (temp dropped below 60!), I left mine in the garage since it currently doesn't have a muffler. The muffler fell off on I-10 Friday on the way to work!

Oh, but Friday I rolled past 5000 miles. Not really a lot for 13 months.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 10:09:46 pm by Alan LaRue »
Chinese food beats hopes and dreams any day.

Oddjon

• Scooter
  • 2012 Bullet G5 Deluxe
Reply #2249 on: October 08, 2012, 10:50:16 pm
Rode it home from the dealer after having the silencer and O2 sensor replaced (header is on back order).  Not much riding time left up here, but I'll ride as long as I can.
"Happiness is like peeing in your pants, everyone can see it, but only you will feel it's warmth."