Author Topic: What did you do to your Royal Enfield today?  (Read 1811551 times)

Jack Leis

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 G5 Classic, F&%king Stolen
Reply #2190 on: September 24, 2012, 01:48:28 am
 Mattsz, how did the new seat feel ?
I would much rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow    Jack

idk

• Bulleteer
Reply #2191 on: September 24, 2012, 02:01:00 am
I took a ride out to the Union Hotel, an historical outdoor biker bar complete with band. The Enfield got lots of attention, and I think the "55RE" licence plate got a lot of them confused. Is it wrong to have that on a Military G5?  ;) About 120 mile round trip and a pleasant day.

On the subject of helmets, a couple on months ago I collapsed (de-hydrated) and hit my head on the concrete. I was unconscious for an hour, got 13 staples in my head, a chunk of concussion, and a couple of days in hospital. That was from a speed of zero mph and standing up. I imagine that it would hurt a bit more coming off a bike at speed.
Ego iustus volo meus motorcycle equitare

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #2192 on: September 24, 2012, 02:56:25 am
Mattsz, how did the new seat feel ?

Hi Jack-  I really like the springs on the new seat.  The original dual seat was very hard and transferred every bump right into my back.  With the sprung seat (coil springs supporting the frame, and longitudinal springs supporting the cover, it's more of a gentle bounce and I don't have to rise up completely off the seat to absorb the bigger jolts.

That said, I'm going to give it some more time, but I think I may try to supplement the padding.  I don't have much natural cushioning, and I think there's some odd pressure points coming from the spring network - there's only a thin layer of some sort of felt between the springs and the cover.  I'm interested in Garbone's suggestion of a "Conformax" gel pad:

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,9416.msg106781.html#msg106781

The site I found says that it's 1 inch thick; I wonder how it can fit without modifying anything...

Jack Leis

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2193 on: September 24, 2012, 03:15:22 am
Mattsz, I might give the seat a try. I had ordered a Classic Comfort Solo Seat from Nfield Gear thru my dealer over 4 months ago and am still waiting. When they open on Tuesday I will have them change the order to a seat like yours. The gel pad sounds like icing on the cake. The long rides Bare and I go on are just too much for my big ass and the stock seat. I really like the look of yours. Thanks for the information !

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #2194 on: September 24, 2012, 04:22:01 am
Decided to swap the badges with 'Enfield' ones for the time being.  :o I like them at this stage  :D

The last pic shows the oil well below the minimum mark, but I hadn't started it since yesterday, and it was on the side stand for a while.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 05:07:54 am by JVS »
Sons continuing wars, our fathers were enemies

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #2195 on: September 24, 2012, 12:12:11 pm
Mattsz, I might give the seat a try. I had ordered a Classic Comfort Solo Seat from Nfield Gear thru my dealer over 4 months ago and am still waiting. When they open on Tuesday I will have them change the order to a seat like yours. The gel pad sounds like icing on the cake. The long rides Bare and I go on are just too much for my big ass and the stock seat. I really like the look of yours. Thanks for the information !

Jack - is the Classic Comfort Solo Seat the one that mounts directly to the frame, without the coil springs?  Just wondering.  I wish I lived near you guys, so you could just try it out!

You ride a G5, n'est pas?  As for the "old-fashioned" seat - according to the NField Gear site, "If you are installing this on a G5 please select the ELECTRA version".  If I were you, I'd call and speak to Tim directly to make sure you get the right parts.  The Old-Fashioned seat came with the brackets shown in the photo on the NFG site, which fit the B5, mostly.  See photo 1 below, and note the cracks in the paint where the front of the bracket bent to conform under the seat mounting nut.

The Deluxe seat came with another bracket altogether (see photo 2 below), which didn't fit my bike at all.  I tried to fit that seat first, using that bracket, and it made no sense at all.  Turns out the smaller brackets that came with the other seat worked on both seats.

Now that I'm having trouble fitting a rack that's supposed to fit my bike, I'm concerned that I need yet a different bracket.  But that's another story... (http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,15273.0.html)

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2196 on: September 24, 2012, 06:14:02 pm
Took a ride close to home... went to the Owls Head (Maine) Transportation Museum to see the Model A club (over 100 cars and trucks visiting), but they were all there yesterday.

When I was up there in May, I wanted to go that museum, but we never made it that far north. We tried the Well's Automotive museum but it wasn't opening for the season until the day after we were leaving. We drove by it as we were looking for the Triple D endorsed Maine Diner in Wells. Wasn't really terribly impressed with the diner.
Bare
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 06:37:44 pm by barenekd »
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Jack Leis

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2197 on: September 24, 2012, 07:55:49 pm
Mattsz, with the hardware problem your having with your seats and rack and the long wait for my seat , I'm having second thoughts about using Nfield Gear at all. I'm considering going thru Hitchcocks. Ive never had a problem with them and they really know what they are doing. With Hitchcocks at least you get the right stuff, they don't mislead you with false delivery dates and their fast. It's just the shipping that's a killer!

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #2198 on: September 24, 2012, 10:54:30 pm
Both my bikes have the classic seat (neither from NField gear). One I bought NField gears brackets as shown in your picture and the other I fabbed my own.  Both were irregular and did not line up 100% with the brackets, drilling and such was required.

I also bought the some jell pads for both seats.  Just took off the cover and put the pad over the springs and cover.

They just take some work to get right.
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

jartist

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2199 on: September 25, 2012, 01:51:52 am
The other option would be to walk into a store that handles classic brit bike parts and get an old Norton or BSA lycett-style saddle and fab up your own mounting system.  I saw one at Raber's that was for a Norton ES2 that was really nice looking.

Jack Leis

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2200 on: September 25, 2012, 01:56:07 am
Changed my oil, all ready to go on an early ride tomorrow then found out I have to report for Jury Service instead. Poop

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #2201 on: September 25, 2012, 08:01:51 pm
Removed my left side cover to see how the electrical things were doing.

Everything was happy and the short clear vinyl tubing I installed over some of the wires is doing its job.  Several of them showed slight skuffing where they had been rubbing against metal parts.

I also came eyes to eyes with a large black widow spider under the flap that covers the top of my battery.
She was one of the largest black widows I've seen around here, almost 2 inches from tip toe to tip toe.
Needless to say, she is no longer and her web has been removed. :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #2202 on: September 25, 2012, 10:15:58 pm
I also came eyes to eyes with a large black widow spider under the flap that covers the top of my battery.

Right under your seat!!!  Hold on, here come the jokes! ;)

Jack Leis

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2203 on: September 25, 2012, 11:01:52 pm
If he was bitten on the ass Im afraid he would have to die !

motorat

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2204 on: September 25, 2012, 11:22:07 pm
either that or the spider would die.
Joe
08 dl650abs
 c5 military