Author Topic: What did you do to your Royal Enfield today?  (Read 1811791 times)

Fogrunner

• Bulleteer
Reply #2175 on: September 21, 2012, 11:55:41 am
Well, just let me say that, living in Philippines for the past several years, I have seen risks, and then some!! I live on a small island, and I usually wear shorts, Tee-shirt and flip-flips all the time while riding. However, I always wear my helmet. Now I know that some will say my atire is not appropriate, but whenever I leave the island and go further, meaning having to drive faster than 40kmh, I wear jeans, boots and gloves. Sometimes even a longsleeve shirt!! The locals always wear next to no protectipn, and seldom helmets!! There is a risk inherent to anything that is fun!!
Phil
2012 G5 Classic

motorat

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2176 on: September 21, 2012, 04:26:29 pm
rode it to work today.
got a thumbs up from a passing car.
missed the heated grips on my vstrom.
Joe
08 dl650abs
 c5 military

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #2177 on: September 21, 2012, 04:40:07 pm
I have one Dr friend who says bicycle helmets don't do anything and another ER Dr friend who saw a woman bicyclist who slid on her face and lost all the flesh from her bottom lip to the base of her chin, just gone and nothing a bicycle helmet could help.  Having had six concussions growing up and having cracked three bicycle helmets so far, I'll keep wearing mine.  I also know a friend of a friend who got into a scooter accident at 15mph.  She spent a year learning to walk again and another learning to use her hands again.

As I said at the start, I respect each persons choice to accept their own level of risk, dress to their own level of protection.  Riding is inherently risky, even at very low speeds.  Just be aware of that.  Sure, 120mph is probably more risky than 12mph but even 12mph will kick your ass if you come off the bike the wrong way.  Be safe and acknowledge the risks, that's all I'm saying.

Scott

JesterNT

• Scooter
  • Maintenance is as much art as it is science.
Reply #2178 on: September 21, 2012, 05:03:35 pm
Had a tire blow on the interstate at the end of an 1100 mile trip.  It was late on a Sunday evening and I dint want to leave my bike in the middle of nowhere. So in a pinch a C5 will fit in the back of a Ford Expedition  :P  Has anyone tried/like the hitch mount horizontal motorcycle carriers?

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

motorat

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2179 on: September 21, 2012, 05:20:47 pm
i would rather hitch mount han have that tire destroy my nice leather interrior.

a couple of my friends have them and like them. i have a small pick-up truck.

there is also the trailer in a bag thing.
http://trailerinabag.com/index.html
but it is $1100
Joe
08 dl650abs
 c5 military

jartist

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2180 on: September 22, 2012, 01:14:16 am
The enfield is the limit in those hitch mount trailers. Most people use them for dirt bikes which weigh a hundred pounds less than our bikes. I did sell a KLR to a guy that carried it away on one. A small trailer is easier and sturdier. The tongue weight of trailers is a fraction if the total trailer weight.  An enfields entire weight on a hitch is probably the equivalent of a medium travel trailer without a load leveler hitch.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 01:22:59 am by jartist »

hillntx

• Shriner Bulleteer
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2011 G5 Classic, 2004 Sixty-5, 2010 C5 Classic
Reply #2181 on: September 22, 2012, 01:19:48 am
I have a Trailer-in-a-bag, I've used it in both the single and dual bike configurations.  It's a great trailer.  The only down side is sometimes it gets tedious putting it together, but the fact that you can disassemble it is it's biggest strength.  I hauled my 760 lbs. ST1300 on it with no issues; works great with Enfields.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2182 on: September 22, 2012, 09:51:36 pm
I failed to find any evidence that a cycle helmet protects you for anything than a stationary topple over. Interesting eh?

Here's proof.
My bike endoed, pitchpoled to you catamaran racers, I went straight over the bars and landed square in the top of my head at about 60 mph.
He helmet pushed down into my collarbone giving it a bit of dislocation, my left hand hit the ground braking the bone to my little finger. My first thought was, Am I dead yet? Then I opened my eyes as I was sliding down the road and wondered, what am I going to it that's really going to smart?  My buddy picked up my toalled YZF1000R Yamaha, and pushed it off the road, then I got on my buddies Kawasaki and rode 50 miles home with him. Then I went to the hospital and got xrays and such. They gave me a sling for for my arm and told me to come back the next day, Monday, to get the handed casted. I dumped the sling and my next working day was Wednesday. I went to work.
I was an inch shorter after compressing my spine, but I've never had any problems with it over the last 13 years. No concussion, not even a headache! Helmets do work, just fortunately most of you never get the chance to find out!
I did a face plant on another over the bars excursion. Wiped out the front of the helmet and shield. Skinned up my arms and knees on that one as my ex-wife was riding my back as we slid down the road.
Without that helmet my head would have exploded like a punkin shot with a .44 Mag!
Bare
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 10:24:51 pm by barenekd »
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Lwt Big Cheese

• Grand Gearhead
  • Getting there, slowly...
Reply #2183 on: September 22, 2012, 09:57:32 pm
Cycle helmet, not motor cycle helmet.
No warranty implied or given.
Packed in a protective atmosphere.
May contain nuts.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #2184 on: September 22, 2012, 10:19:55 pm
Jazzed up my B5 with 7-inch headlight and visor, bar-end mirrors, solo seat.  Looks and rides good!!!

Also, I changed the shift lever slightly:  I couldn't find a good position where my shoe didn't get caught up.  I took the rubber cover right off, and replaced it with some heat-shrink tubing.  The tubing is mostly for looks, I guess, since it doesn't seem to add any grip, and I'm not sure how long it will last, but I sure like shifting without that big rubber blob under my foot...

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2185 on: September 22, 2012, 10:23:23 pm
Oh, Today Jack, Steve and I went to the Irwindale, aka La Mirada, Bike show and Swap Meet. Did see a lot of great bikes, many extremely rare, and saw a few Enfield bits in the swap meet including a Fury head. Only $2000! The ride over and back was about 70 miles of freeway. The weather was lot more forgiving than it has been for the last several weeks, and actually made the ride quite nice. Wish y'all coulda been there!
A couple of my favorites attached
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #2186 on: September 22, 2012, 10:42:57 pm
........... my ex-wife was riding my back as we slid down the road........

Universal truth, that !
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

Desi Bike

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2187 on: September 23, 2012, 01:38:27 am
'Mary rode Joseph's ass all the way to Bethlehem'

Its been going on since before Jesus was born!  ;D
میں نہیں چاہتا کہ ایک اچار
میں صرف اپنی موٹر سائیکل پر سوار کرنا چاہتے ہیں

motorat

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2188 on: September 23, 2012, 03:41:20 am
did the british singles ride.....report in the ride section
Joe
08 dl650abs
 c5 military

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #2189 on: September 23, 2012, 11:57:30 pm
Took a ride close to home... went to the Owls Head (Maine) Transportation Museum to see the Model A club (over 100 cars and trucks visiting), but they were all there yesterday.  Still had a nice time wandering around, and the director (who I've known for a long time) wants me to come back in 2 weeks for the big international auto show to do a comparitive display using my bike side-by-side with their 1922 Royal Enfield.  Could be fun...

http://www.ohtm.org/1922enfield.html