Author Topic: What did you do to your Royal Enfield today?  (Read 1811251 times)

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #90 on: April 09, 2011, 10:33:20 pm
It is the OEM turn signal/brake light assembly with the additional red LED on the side.  I suspect it will be easy to mount on an '06.  There is only one bolt each in the midline at the upper and lower ends.
2022 Continental GT 650 Dux Deluxe
2019 Himalayan Snow
2019 Interceptor 650 - Chrome...off the first boat!
Previous REs:
2021 Meteor 350 Supernova Blue
2014 Continental GT 535 - Red...lowest VIN off the first boat!
2010 Classic 500 - Teal Chrome

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #91 on: April 09, 2011, 10:49:08 pm
I rode it a little over 200 miles today on some fun twisty roads ;D
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
Reply #92 on: April 10, 2011, 12:14:00 am
I rode mine for 15 miles and then to the dealer, with the odometer showing exactly 1300.0 miles at the shop.

They will:
  • replace the fuel sensor
  • seal the muffler joints to remove the backfiring
  • thoroughly (I hope) check the wiring in the main harness
  • install the Nfield voltage meter to a switched connection

While waiting for a ride home, I did notice a nice used '09 Monster 696 for sale.  Heh, just looking...
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

Lady_Enfield

• Scooter
  • Bluce
Reply #93 on: April 10, 2011, 05:08:34 am
Rode another 46 miles. Now she has 160! I have to get a new tire. The one I bought her with has dry rot so I don't stray to far. It is amazing how much attention these bikes get.
I am Multi-FUNctional!

YJake

• Scooter
  • Exploring the Sunshine State
Reply #94 on: April 10, 2011, 08:10:38 pm
Daily commute and a Wash N' Wax, gotta keep that road grime off! ;)

-Jake
"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost..."

2010 Royal Enfield G5

1973 Honda CL125

Sub

• Bob's Your Uncle
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2010 Black Bullet C5
Reply #95 on: April 12, 2011, 11:06:15 pm
Hit the starter button and prayed.

Andy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #96 on: April 13, 2011, 01:53:30 am
Hit the starter button and prayed.

Funny you should mention that.  Last Saturday - first really nice riding day of the year - hauled out the Slug, hit the button and.... Nuthin.  Started right up a couple of weeks ago when it was minus 4 celsius.  Spent a few hours on the ususal trouble-shooting and then gave up.

I didn't like the look of the plug I had pulled out, so I went searching for a replacement.  Apparently the BR6ES is like the rarest plug known to man in these parts.  Found a BR8ES today though and slapped her in there.  A little hotter, but what the hey.  It fit and it makes a spark.

Fired right up.  Oh, sweet sound.  Sounds like Napalm smells. 

Took her for a test ride and - lo and behold - that "fuel flow issue" I thought was causing me some missing problems is gone.  Guess it was the plug the whole time, on its way out.

Tomorrow... I RIDE, BABY - I RIDE!!!   ( I do love a happy ending )
2010 C5 Military - "The Slug"

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #97 on: April 13, 2011, 01:57:22 am
Installed a 7" headlight. Had to use a sealed beam as my multi-piece halogen is too thick for the "W" spring clips. Has anybody found a solution to this?

Oh yeah, I delivered the G5 saddlebag brackets to Jake in Orlando. Just a slight detour on my commute home from work. ;)

Sub

• Bob's Your Uncle
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2010 Black Bullet C5
Reply #98 on: April 13, 2011, 03:13:43 am
So when my bike almost stranded me, heres what happened... Went to fill up with gas, bike was running perfect. Stopped engine, center stand, gassed, paid, starter button... and nothing. Totally dead. Just a little click from the fuse area. ?!??!?! I called my local dealer, he said "open your tool kit. Get out the screwdriver. Whack the start motor three times." (thats that coke can looking thing on top of the motor)

Well f-me it worked! That man knows Enfields!

So apparently these things fail in time, so thats why I pray. I guess he's now replacing them with a Honda variant. I think I might do that.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 07:38:13 pm by Sub »

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #99 on: April 13, 2011, 03:45:14 am
Installed a 7" headlight. Had to use a sealed beam as my multi-piece halogen is too thick for the "W" spring clips. Has anybody found a solution to this?

I got the 7" pre-assembled kit BUT before that I was looking at H4 conversion lights.  These are single pieces 7" shells that take a 55/60 Halogen bulb.  There are lots out there and many auto stores carry the Hella brand one for about $45.  Go get one, see if that fits.

Scott

ToesNose

• Grease Monkey
  • That goes where? Mooresville, NC
Reply #100 on: April 13, 2011, 03:49:04 am
Hey Sub I see you are in NY, you aren't on Long Island by any chance are you? If so the salt air can do that to , I grew up on L.I. and had many classic cars thatneeded a good starter "WHACK" from time to time  :D
"Pardon me...do you have hot sauce for this?"

2007 Suzuki LS650
2014 RE C5 Tan 'Manjika'

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #101 on: April 13, 2011, 04:21:25 am
The starters can be a little weak and so is the stock battery.  My dealer has replaced several batteries on warranty.  The thing you whacked was the starter.  The electrical solenoid is under the seat on the left (at least on the C5).  That's probably what you heard whn it didn't start.  If you put your finger on it you can feel it dead certain when it clicks.

If you have this trouble again get a volt meter and start checking your battery voltage.

Scott

Sub

• Bob's Your Uncle
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2010 Black Bullet C5
Reply #102 on: April 13, 2011, 05:38:36 am
Hey Sub I see you are in NY, you aren't on Long Island by any chance are you? If so the salt air can do that to , I grew up on L.I. and had many classic cars thatneeded a good starter "WHACK" from time to time  :D

Hey, nope, I'm upstate. There are a few of us up here! :)

Sub

• Bob's Your Uncle
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2010 Black Bullet C5
Reply #103 on: April 13, 2011, 05:40:40 am
The starters can be a little weak and so is the stock battery.  My dealer has replaced several batteries on warranty.  The thing you whacked was the starter.  The electrical solenoid is under the seat on the left (at least on the C5).  That's probably what you heard whn it didn't start.  If you put your finger on it you can feel it dead certain when it clicks.

If you have this trouble again get a volt meter and start checking your battery voltage.

Scott
Oh ok, thanks for the info. I thought he said solenoid. I guess the motor gets stuck in between rotations on the magnets and when you apply electricity, the motor doesn't turn. A whack apparently makes it jump to an area where it will work again.

Rusty

• Bulleteer
Reply #104 on: April 13, 2011, 09:02:01 pm
Popped it on ebay, been meaning to for a while now but every time I ride it I change my mind. Will be looking for an '70 A65 just as I was when I bought the Bullet