Author Topic: What did you do to your Royal Enfield today?  (Read 1812965 times)

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #7590 on: June 30, 2018, 01:52:46 am
Bert Remington:

The 2010 was the only year the RE Bullets did not have a kick starter. 
Maybe you overlooked it but the pictures you posted seem to indicate that the new/used bike doesn't have one.

I think to save money,  RE decided to eliminate the KS but buyers weren't happy with the lack of it so in 2011 they put it back on and every year since then has had one.

The 2010 engine also still had the marginal sprag clutch in it so don't be surprised if it decides to break.

Beyond those two things, the rest of the motorcycle is a good one.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Bert Remington

• Grease Monkey
Reply #7591 on: June 30, 2018, 05:38:16 am
Arizoni -- thank you very much for that information!

WRT kickstarter I have a two year lightly-used FLA battery from my 2016 that was leftover when I replaced it with the Shorai LiFePO4 battery.  In addition I will upgrade the cables per Peter and GHG so the starter should receive full voltage.

WRT sprag clutch I believe it can be replaced with the later version which we will do because the cases will be open.
2016 RE Classic 500 CA version Fair-Weather Mountain Bike
2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #7592 on: June 30, 2018, 07:36:35 pm
Yup.
The new greatly improved sprag clutch is a direct "drop in" for the old clutch and IMO, it's well worth doing.  Especially on a engine without a kick starter.  :o
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Bmadd34

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7593 on: June 30, 2018, 11:42:49 pm
Went for a 220 mile ride. Got a little burned. It was hot today.
When Life hands you lemons, Squeeze them in his eyes and take his wallet.

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7594 on: July 01, 2018, 01:21:40 am
although back in 014 I did strike a problem with the new style sprag and had it replaced

https://youtu.be/dYe0JDncKy8

Wrc323

• Scooter
Reply #7595 on: July 02, 2018, 01:15:48 pm
Had its first service since I've owned it. The front brake would pulse, they found the disc was warped and replaced it. Feels so much better now! No other issues were found.

Ergyd

• Scooter
Reply #7596 on: July 03, 2018, 06:53:37 pm
Noticed that the exhaust wasn't sitting right in the head port... Figured that, like last time, the cement biscuits had disintegrated. Came to remove the nuts holding the flange - only for the uppermost one to bring the bolt with it, and which, due to my sheer carelessness, stripped the thread inside...

After a prolonged period of swearing, and a chat with Hitchcock's about the best possible solution (they didn't recommend drilling out/widening the hole to accommodate a bigger bolt), I took out my tap and die set. M8 1.25, in case anyone's interested.

All went well, and scraped out all the remains of the cement biscuit. And finally replaced with a crushable copper gasket.

Just been for a lovely two hour ride, and all is well.

Boxerman

• Grease Monkey
  • Lancashire UK
Reply #7597 on: July 04, 2018, 08:41:17 am
Fitted a Carberry vibration reduction plate - twice! after fitting it for the first time, the engine 'clicked' as it was running. Thinking that I'd done something wrong, I stripped it down again but couldn't find anything amiss.
After much head scratching, I discovered that the 3 'legs' on the new plate were about 0.16mm shorter than the ones on the old plate, so I removed the shims from the ends of the cams. Now running fine with no 'clicking'. Haven't ridden it yet as it was getting late when I finally got it back together.

Fragman

• Bulleteer
Reply #7598 on: July 05, 2018, 10:53:15 pm
I gave the chain a clean & lube and then headed out to see how the guys were
makin' out on the wildfire that's only 18 km west of me. It started on Monday
& is now 100 hectares in size. Not worried yet, but the winds comin' off the sea
along with no rain as yet ain't a boost fer confidence. :o

Nothing better than a nice putt on an RE.
It's a serene way to travel at an unhurried pace.

-2013 Classic Maroon-

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #7599 on: July 07, 2018, 01:42:52 am
   Began work on the C5 after having had quite enough of trying to run with a sidecar.
   As good as it looked, best speed of 40mph (45 with a tail wind) just doesn't cut it with me. EJK was worthless with the car, dropping to a 17t sprocket helped in lower gears, but I could still never get it into 4th without being constantly in acceleration mode. Seriously sucked the fuel, and I believe has contributed to a worn out fuel pump, and possibly the ignition coil. No way I could make a 600 mile trip with this combination. Back to the 18T, and remaining parts on order.
   Now that the car has been removed from the bike it runs worse than ever. Even without the car the best I can do is 50mph.  >:( So it get fixed, cleaned and polished, and traded up.
  I have my eye on a 2017 T-120, as I need to be able to cruise (with the sidecar) at 60-65 on the long trips for which it is intended. No HD for me.
  I still have the '06 Electra, and as much as I've invested ($$$ and sweat) it STAYS!
  Hey, gotta have a bike for the much-loved "alone time", and the Electra really fills that void well!  ;D
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7600 on: July 07, 2018, 02:32:34 am

heloego

there must be just something wrong there some-where. maybe a badly seated valve or something like that. may even be fuel pump flow related.
just your top speed without the sidecar drops a red flag. I would take it right back to stock standard including the exhaust and do a comparison on the power...
so ejk out- factory exhaust back on and factory air cleaner -if applicable.
I can honestly say even my very badly damaged one could do 50 mph and both had valve problems.
give it a go and I think with a bit of trial and error you WILL see 75 mph in top
throw in a new plug too I pretty sure things will improve for you. ;)

Bmadd34

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7601 on: July 07, 2018, 03:24:14 am
Added cream exhaust wrap that was gifted to me by Ultra Power Sports of Pittsboro. Looks great. I Also have a fresh roll in Black if there are any takers.
When Life hands you lemons, Squeeze them in his eyes and take his wallet.

heloego

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7602 on: July 09, 2018, 03:46:56 pm
there must be just something wrong there some-where. maybe a badly seated valve or something like that. may even be fuel pump flow related.
just your top speed without the sidecar drops a red flag. I would take it right back to stock standard including the exhaust and do a comparison on the power...
so ejk out- factory exhaust back on and factory air cleaner -if applicable.
I can honestly say even my very badly damaged one could do 50 mph and both had valve problems.
give it a go and I think with a bit of trial and error you WILL see 75 mph in top
throw in a new plug too I pretty sure things will improve for you. ;)
   I checked the compression, fuel pressure, injector spray, spark, and air to and through the throttle body. No apparent problems anywhere, other than a weak spark and worn plug.   Until I separated the injector body from the head.
   Found the Insulator was very degraded around the notch (flaking and crumbly) for the injector spray. Parts on order from FW, and my card has been charged, so I may see the new Insulator and Ignition Coil soon. Running over to Southwest Seal & Supply today to see if they have a couple seals (mentioned in Tech Tips)for the Fuel Pump, or another place if necessary.   Also thinking about replacing the Resistor Cap with a non-resistor NGK.
   I've loved this bike since I got it, and it will pain me to give it up, but I don't have room for three bikes and a sidecar.

'12 C5 Classic

Bert Remington

• Grease Monkey
Reply #7603 on: July 10, 2018, 05:15:40 am
I took some measurements and my my things look interesting.

I have three objectives:

(1) mount farkle electronics under seat.

(2) replace previous owners gel-filled seat with low seat sold by CMW (for budget reasons probably this Xmas).

(3) rearrange various parts to emphasize the old school look of the engine.

The first is not compatible with the second so was so I searching for alternative locations.  Then TheShaggyDA described relocation of his voltage regulator and that gave me a new perspective.  The waterproof electronics will go on the back of the left-side electronics box and the other electronics will go where the tool roll is now.  Awesome! Thanks.

WRT to the second, I added some spacers to the springs so the seat is at least level instead of tilting backwards.  It will do until Xmas.

That leaves the third.

My horn relocation is successful.  Left-side box cover opens satisfactorily.

The plastic section of the rear fender is superfluous protection for a sunshine-only street-only motorcycle so if I trim it a bit (the lower mounting point goes to a removable bracket that can be replaced with another configuration), I can mount the EVP canister between the engine and rear wheel.

That leaves the GPS tracker which needs visibility to the GPS constellation and 3G cell services.  Fortunately its small.  Unfortunately unlike BMW, RE uses cheap steel for bodywork.  But I'll find a compromise.

I'm keeping the EVP canister for two reasons.  First, Peter the cam guy gets on my case when I'm not environmentally aware.  Second, when the police stop me for my DOT-violating colored lights as Arizoni predicts (I know he's right but catch me if you can) they might include a full vehicle inspection.  Lighting infractions ain't cheap but environmental fines are really expensive in CA.
2016 RE Classic 500 CA version Fair-Weather Mountain Bike
2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod

heloego

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7604 on: July 10, 2018, 02:44:35 pm
   Since the correct fuel pump o-rings are not supplied with the Quantum pump I went to two different seal suppliers yesterday to get what was needed. Each supplier had two of one size, so put some miles on the Electra.  :)    At first I was annoyed that I had to go clear across town to complete the purchase(s), but the Electra combined with that both suppliers gave me the rings for free definitely softened that blow. ;D    Pump goes together today, then it's hurry up and wait for the coil and insulator to arrive from our host.
'12 C5 Classic