Author Topic: What did you do to your Royal Enfield today?  (Read 1830063 times)

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #75 on: April 04, 2011, 07:41:28 pm
Lock nuts loctite and lock wire used to be my mantra.

I'm thinking jam nuts (sounds painful). I don't think nylocks will hold up to the heat and drilling a stud that is already in the head is a pain. Not sure how loctite would hold up. They were torqued to the point of bending the flange (just slightly).

olhogrider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #76 on: April 04, 2011, 07:44:37 pm
HEY! My leather RE saddlebags just came in the mail! Got to go install them.

Oh, and my Marvel Mystery Oil just showed up. I just like the look of those old tin cans. Probably not actually going to use it.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #77 on: April 04, 2011, 08:22:43 pm
I'm thinking jam nuts (sounds painful). I don't think nylocks will hold up to the heat and drilling a stud that is already in the head is a pain. Not sure how loctite would hold up. They were torqued to the point of bending the flange (just slightly).

There are several types of loctite.  The strongest requires torch heat to undo and usually works well in high temp areas where lower grades might melt away.

Scott

olhogrider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #78 on: April 05, 2011, 12:02:11 am
The  bags (used) came with G5 mounting brackets. Anyone need those? So, I fasten the straps around the fender brackets but they can still slide around. Has anyone else put these on a  C5? Is there some trick?

These are the ones.

http://nfieldgear.com/enfield-store/aftermarket-parts-accessories/luggage/detatchable-leather-saddlebags.html

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #79 on: April 05, 2011, 01:11:55 am
Put another 100 towards that break-in. I rode up to Angeles Crest to add another 100, but, alas, the road was closed so I had to settle with the great little twisties up behind the Rose Bowl, Great day to ride. Wish the Crest had been open. Coulda gone farther North to get up the mountain, but riding farther on Foothill wasn't too intriguing. About 75% done with the book break-in though, and still breaking 70mpg. And who says these things are twitchy?  Old Harley riders, I guess. It's a really nice quick steering bike, just the way I luv 'em. But not nearly as quick as the old 929, but quicker than the Triumph Scrambler.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

BRADEY

• Grease Monkey
Reply #80 on: April 05, 2011, 05:59:06 am
A minor mod.  ;D

Hi would you share how you installed that cone filter on the bike......thanks
Please put up a few photos to elaborate, if possible.....thanks again.

Fox

• Bulleteer
Reply #81 on: April 05, 2011, 11:37:20 am
The  bags (used) came with G5 mounting brackets. Anyone need those? So, I fasten the straps around the fender brackets but they can still slide around. Has anyone else put these on a  C5? Is there some trick?

These are the ones.

http://nfieldgear.com/enfield-store/aftermarket-parts-accessories/luggage/detatchable-leather-saddlebags.html

Actually, if you're looking to get rid of them, let me know what you want for them. I'm assuming they're at least somewhat generic and will work with any saddlebags to keep them away from the rear wheel?
2000 KLR650 - Clack Clack the Sorry Green Bastard
2009 Royal Enfield G5 Deluxe

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #82 on: April 05, 2011, 01:27:58 pm
Hi would you share how you installed that cone filter on the bike......thanks
Please put up a few photos to elaborate, if possible.....thanks again.
Bradey I borrowed the idea from shappers, here is a link.

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,8810.0.html

I used the K&N #RU2580 filter, the nipple that it mounts to is cut to 1/2 inch on the short side, 1 1/2 inches on the long side, you need this angle to clear the lock. Hope that makes sense :D
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 04:10:37 pm by r80rt »
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

DonK

• Bulleteer
Reply #83 on: April 05, 2011, 02:05:47 pm
Put a fishtail on my exhaust, got it free.
Getting ready to ride! Spring is finally here!

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #84 on: April 05, 2011, 03:50:49 pm
I need to get me a fishtail exhaust.  That looks sweet!

Scott

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #85 on: April 05, 2011, 04:34:18 pm
donk: Love the look...looks like u making it a relic of the past....I believe u showed us this machine awhile back when u painted the tank and put the "indian" on it..I see u put the little chief on the fender too...Where did u get the tan bags? Are they leather?..They look fantastic and functional....Yeah baby, that looks like a sweet crusing machine....I bet u have a leather skullcap and googles to finsih out the look....Don;t forget the white scarf..... ;D
Oh Magoo you done it again

DonK

• Bulleteer
Reply #86 on: April 05, 2011, 06:02:53 pm
The bags are vinyl, and are kind of big for the bike, but I really like them. I can carry my leather coat in one and a lot of other stuff in the other
I got them used, on ebay awhile back for $100.
I like the looks of real leather, but these really hold up during a hard rain. Everything stays dry and they just need a quick wipe with a towel.

olhogrider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #87 on: April 06, 2011, 06:17:54 am
Actually, if you're looking to get rid of them, let me know what you want for them. I'm assuming they're at least somewhat generic and will work with any saddlebags to keep them away from the rear wheel?

Sorry Fox. Jake here asked first. They are made for the G5 and they will support any bags. In fact, they would work to mount a set of Happy Trail aluminum boxes like I have on the KLR. Very sturdy stuff. I wound up zip tying the forward leather straps to the fender mounting boss on the fender support. That should keep them from sliding aft into the turn signals. Also, the right bag was resting on the upswept muffler so I am back to the stock one.

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #88 on: April 09, 2011, 06:33:59 pm
Greetings from a Minnesota jeeper. I would like to thank everyone for the wonderful information in this forum. The snow is finally gone and it is time to break in my 2010 C5. I did the full LED upgrade (except for the tail/brake light) and then went a bit further. Added were a pair of PM Piranha LED side marker lights followed by the addition of an oval PM LED tail/brake light behind the OEM pillion seat. I am not sure if I like the look yet, but it sure lights up like a Christmas tree.

Regards,

GSS
2022 Continental GT 650 Dux Deluxe
2019 Himalayan Snow
2019 Interceptor 650 - Chrome...off the first boat!
Previous REs:
2021 Meteor 350 Supernova Blue
2014 Continental GT 535 - Red...lowest VIN off the first boat!
2010 Classic 500 - Teal Chrome

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #89 on: April 09, 2011, 06:40:00 pm
very nice...is that the oem brake/turn signal assembly on the back of the new machines...if so,  the one on mine 06 is a bit haggard as the construction of it was haphazardly put together and I wouldn't mind replacing it with the one u have on your bike....seems to me it would be a direct replacement....
Oh Magoo you done it again