Author Topic: What did you do to your Royal Enfield today?  (Read 1845065 times)

hillntx

• Shriner Bulleteer
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2011 G5 Classic, 2004 Sixty-5, 2010 C5 Classic
Reply #7470 on: April 13, 2018, 03:41:19 am
Took off the bar end mirrors and added the stock style back on.  I like how the bike doesn't seem as wide.  I also added the diamond crash bar.  Saturday the rear tire get swapped out and then the rear seat gets mounted.

As I was leaving the house tonight, my 7" headlight and visor arrived.  Those will go on in the morning.  Now its just about ready.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 04:18:48 am by hillntx »

johno

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2012 B5 on the original Portland Dorset UK
Reply #7471 on: April 16, 2018, 05:00:01 pm
took my b5 bullet out o winter storage and changed the back tyre.
went for a quick spin, how good to hear the thump once again.
roll on some decent weather!!!!
(that's cursed it!!!)
2012 B5 Bullet
 K&N, sport muffler, 18tooth fr sprocket, Avon style fairing, 1958 pattern British army haversacks. Mitas tyres DiD chain. Carberry plate.

Ergyd

• Scooter
Reply #7472 on: April 18, 2018, 11:32:33 pm
The curse hasn't made it's way to Wales, johno! Beautiful day today, and I certainly took advantage.
Took Harriet for a day-long trip, smashing the 4k mile marker in the process. No problems, no hiccoughs - just thumping along, and amazing views.

Fingers crossed for more days like these.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #7473 on: April 18, 2018, 11:36:39 pm
I finally got off my butt and replaced the front tire on my 2011 G5.

It was getting pretty worn with just a trace of its original tread on the Dunlop K70 I've been running.

As you can tell, I gave up corner carving years ago so although a lot of you are only getting 6000 miles or so out of your K70's, this one has lasted me 14,142 miles.  8)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Scotty Brown

• Grand Gearhead
  • Scotty Brown
Reply #7474 on: April 19, 2018, 09:41:02 pm
=Stupidly rode up Saddleback mountain alone, without water, food, or extra clothing and into a no cell phone area.  Enfield working perfectly but not my aged body.  Tipped over about six time and the last time a real crash.  Fortunately a young man in a pickup truck stopped and lifted the bike off of me.  I had become the poster boy for "Help, I've fallen and can't get up ".  We left the bike along side the road and he drove me back to civilization.  A good friend retrieved the bike several hours later.  I have scrapes and bruises but no permanent damage.  Great fun, beautiful scenery, and an adventure story to tell.  Advise,  don't go alone and plan ahead.

Scotty Brown

• Grand Gearhead
  • Scotty Brown
Reply #7475 on: April 19, 2018, 09:56:29 pm
Pic's of the rocky and slippery road up the mountain and the guy lifting the bike off of me.  Talk about friends in high places is an understatement as the Mountain is about 6000 feet high.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #7476 on: April 20, 2018, 01:27:29 am
=Stupidly rode up Saddleback mountain alone, without water, food, or extra clothing and into a no cell phone area.  Enfield working perfectly but not my aged body.  Tipped over about six time and the last time a real crash.  Fortunately a young man in a pickup truck stopped and lifted the bike off of me.  I had become the poster boy for "Help, I've fallen and can't get up ".  We left the bike along side the road and he drove me back to civilization.  A good friend retrieved the bike several hours later.  I have scrapes and bruises but no permanent damage.  Great fun, beautiful scenery, and an adventure story to tell.  Advise,  don't go alone and plan ahead.

You're lucky you didn't have to amputate your own limb(s) with a pocket knife to escape!

That guy in the pic is the "young man" who helped you?   ;D

Glad you're ok...

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #7477 on: April 20, 2018, 01:30:05 am
The curse hasn't made it's way to Wales, johno! Beautiful day today, and I certainly took advantage.
Took Harriet for a day-long trip, smashing the 4k mile marker in the process. No problems, no hiccoughs - just thumping along, and amazing views.

Fingers crossed for more days like these.

First post, Ergyd?  If so, welcome!  What bike is that?  It looks like what was sold here in the U.S. as a B5, but with the "wrong" tank...

Scotty Brown

• Grand Gearhead
  • Scotty Brown
Reply #7478 on: April 20, 2018, 06:25:05 am
Hi Mattsz --No, the guy in the pic was the first to help.  There were several more.  I never seem to learn.  Number seven is the one where  I really woofed the cookie.  Ouch !  Another nice young man saved the day. It is said that the second and third day's after a crash are the worst.  They are right.  Booze seems to help a lot.  I'll be back in the saddle next week.  Never too old to have a second childhood.

retrolynn

• Bulleteer
Reply #7479 on: April 20, 2018, 04:35:40 pm
You were lucky! Yesterday was 60*,the nicest day this year. I rode the b5 40 miles ,on a nice 2 lane road. It started on the second push of the starter. When I pulled into the driveway,my neighbor came over to see the bike,and said it purred! Hope it keeps purring.
Lynn

Carlsberg Wordsworth

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7480 on: April 20, 2018, 09:41:12 pm
First post, Ergyd?  If so, welcome!  What bike is that?  It looks like what was sold here in the U.S. as a B5, but with the "wrong" tank...

Welcome indeed Ergyd. B5 tank and debadged with transfers? Throttle cover missing too and the short exhaust.

Well before that question's solved, I hit the 14000 mile mark today. Have found that the new bars are a lot more suited to me. and riding in armoured jeans as opposed to textiles is also easier. It must be the seat shape.

Ergyd

• Scooter
Reply #7481 on: April 21, 2018, 07:20:08 am
Thanks for the welcome! 
I've been shadowing the forum for so long, and felt a part of so many of the interesting, valuable, witty conversations that have happened here, it didn't feel like my first post...    ::)

Many thanks to everyone for all the brilliant advice and tips - have helped me troubleshoot and solve all the little issues - all without having to write a thing! ;D ;D

It's a 2012 B5, which I've owned for the last year. And, having been wondering why I couldn't find any pictures of a bike similar to mine, I found out that the previous owner removed the wings, and had the 350style logo applied, while keeping the hand painted lines - and I have to admit to much preferring the style.

Good eyes, Carlsberg! The throttle cover is off while I play with some ideas for making it a useful space... The other small mods/fixes are:

Short EFI silencer
Full LED conversion (apart from headlight)
Clear indicator lenses
Bar end mirrors
Blank off O2 sensor
Remove kickstand switch

Replace small negative connector (solved electrical gremlins!)
Exhaust header plate straightened, and replace bent studs
Replace low-fuel sensor (kept stalling the bike)

The next project is putting a voltmeter and a tachometer on there somewhere... And I'm not a fan of the digital ones, so trying to source reliable, small, analogue gauges.
Any tips much appreciated!

Jako

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7482 on: April 21, 2018, 11:21:54 am

wow love the B5 tank with those nasty plastic emblems removed , anybody know how to do that without destroying the paint ? heat gun maybe ? I really want mine gone.
2020 Rav Red Interceptor (wife's bike) ,Interceptor 2019 bakers express ,  2021 Honda cb500X, 2021  euro4 Himalayan (wife's)

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #7483 on: April 21, 2018, 03:27:32 pm
Thanks for the welcome! 

It's a 2012 B5, which I've owned for the last year. And, having been wondering why I couldn't find any pictures of a bike similar to mine, I found out that the previous owner removed the wings, and had the 350style logo applied, while keeping the hand painted lines - and I have to admit to much preferring the style.

Your tank is the same now as my '08 Classic 500.

Welcome to the Monkey House  :) :) Have you seen the factory clips on Youtube of these tanks being hand pinstriped?
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #7484 on: April 21, 2018, 04:53:19 pm
wow love the B5 tank with those nasty plastic emblems removed , anybody know how to do that without destroying the paint ? heat gun maybe ? I really want mine gone.

If his bike is a 2012, then it had the screw-on badges?  And therefore, screw holes to be filled?  If you have the newer stick-on badges, then it should be an easy job...