Author Topic: What did you do to your Royal Enfield today?  (Read 1852546 times)

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #7200 on: October 07, 2017, 12:07:40 pm
The local classic bike club had their big show today. Part of the day was a run into the hills to the National Motor Museum in Birdwood, about 50km from the static show. Talked with a few Bullet owners there and one chap in particular who has a AVL Electra. He's ridden it around Australia 5 times and has done about 150,000km on it! Quite a few mods done to make it reliable and comfortable but he says he's only done the crankshaft once, early on in the bike's life. He carries a spare sprag, just in case. Bloody legend!
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

sjbiat

• Bulleteer
Reply #7201 on: October 09, 2017, 03:31:11 pm
Picked up my C5+ Cozy after $1400 service (new tires, SC rubbers, new chain, fuel lines, torque checking, electrical repairs, &c) from Indian Motorcycles of Monmouth.  Took 100 mile route home, with excursions, through suburbia.  Ran great.  Love it.  Cruises easily & comfortably at 55.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 03:35:10 pm by sjbiat »
stephan
09 C5 with Cozy sidecar now
formerly
97 Motoguzzi
94/02 Ural
85 BMW R80
64 BMW R60/Hollandia/Steib
61 BMW R69/Watsonian
60 Pugeot

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
  • Riding the Madrass Missile!
Reply #7202 on: October 09, 2017, 06:20:42 pm
Took wife out of state to visit her mother.  Brought Bholenath in truck and rode out! 8) 

« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 06:47:41 pm by Narada »
Realize your Self on a Royal Enfield.

2015 Classic Chrome/Maroon; "Bholenath", Ported head by GHG, AVL Pistons, Hitchcocks H.P. Cams, PC-V, A/T,  Kenda-761's, Koso TNT, Premium EFI Silencer.

2015 Triumph T-100 Orange/Black, TTP Stage-2 induction
2012 Triumph Scrambler / Dauntless M-72D Sidecar.

Carlsberg Wordsworth

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7203 on: October 09, 2017, 08:42:48 pm
Got the new Mitas rear fitted over the weekend. Was close to the markers on the Avon Roadrider after some 4600ish miles.

Probably mistakingly, I have left the Avon on the front. Doesn't 'feel' too bad but going to get the front changed over this coming weekend. Did attempt it myself, but my heart wasn't in it when it was just a ball ache to get the lever in.

Blairio

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7204 on: October 10, 2017, 10:07:48 am
Got the new Mitas rear fitted over the weekend. Was close to the markers on the Avon Roadrider after some 4600ish miles.

Probably mistakingly, I have left the Avon on the front. Doesn't 'feel' too bad but going to get the front changed over this coming weekend. Did attempt it myself, but my heart wasn't in it when it was just a ball ache to get the lever in.

What model of Mitas tyre did you fit? I have them in my old Francis Barnett and they they work well and look the part.

Carlsberg Wordsworth

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7205 on: October 10, 2017, 08:12:58 pm
H-02. Got a H-01 to go on the front. To be fair, I'd not realised how slim the 3.50 is against the Roadrider 100/90 so could have probably gone to a 4.00x19.

They might be slimmer than the SM MKII as well but I haven't measured to check. I'll get round to doing that at some point.

Fragman

• Bulleteer
Reply #7206 on: October 11, 2017, 03:40:23 am
After reworking me engine breather, I went for a nice poot around the area to enjoy the scenery. 10,500 kms on 'er now and all is well. ;D

Nothing better than a nice putt on an RE.
It's a serene way to travel at an unhurried pace.

-2013 Classic Maroon-

Dharmabum

• Scooter
Reply #7207 on: October 12, 2017, 09:25:03 pm
That is a very clean looking bike. I have a 2012 maroon C5 I will go and clean it some more today. What is the advantage in re routing the breather pipe.

Fragman

• Bulleteer
Reply #7208 on: October 13, 2017, 02:53:35 am
That is a very clean looking bike. I have a 2012 maroon C5 I will go and clean it some more today. What is the advantage in re routing the breather pipe.

I rerouted the breather so as to keep any oil misting from fouling the air filter. Call it an old habit from running older machines back in the day. On the UCE motors, aiming the crankcase fumes away from the intake tract is still preferable to to the stock setup, especially for folks that run their machines hard.

Fer today's tinker project. I pulled off & cleaned the exhaust system, then sealed the joints with high temp silicone to ensure no sooty leaks. (It was wet out anywho, so what the fook, get 'er done.) ;)

-2013 Classic Maroon-

Balaji

• technophile and a wannabe petrolhead
  • Scooter
Reply #7209 on: October 13, 2017, 02:15:25 pm
Rode it to the mountains. Enjoyed a cool drizzly morning on the madrasi thumper with some hot Nilgiri tea.
The thump keeps me alive

Carlsberg Wordsworth

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7210 on: October 14, 2017, 08:36:40 pm
Got the new Mitas H-01 fitted on the front. For a rather exuberant £20. Won't be shopping there again. Drove straight past the place I'd meant to get it changed at where it would've been half of that without thinking. Doh!

Might price up one of those tyre changer bits of equipment for the future though.

Fragman

• Bulleteer
Reply #7211 on: October 16, 2017, 11:04:33 pm
Only a 30 km putt on my one today due to overcast skies & spots of rain, but the
temp was a nice 14 C. :)

-2013 Classic Maroon-

jefrs

• Scooter
Reply #7212 on: October 19, 2017, 04:11:34 pm
I rerouted the breather so as to keep any oil misting from fouling the air filter. Call it an old habit from running older machines back in the day. On the UCE motors, aiming the crankcase fumes away from the intake tract is still preferable to to the stock setup, especially for folks that run their machines hard.

Fer today's tinker project. I pulled off & cleaned the exhaust system, then sealed the joints with high temp silicone to ensure no sooty leaks. (It was wet out anywho, so what the fook, get 'er done.) ;)

The EFI has a very good trap below the hose inside the cases and won't spit oil out if it is at the correct level in the engine. I certainly do not get oil in the airbox and having the breather feed in there has been around for years, It's not an older motor, it is supposed to improve performance not be detrimental. 
I don't think I thrash my bike, I've got it tuned to the stage where I don't have to. Nor do I think I ride particularly fast, I certainly do not enjoy riding too fast, but looking at some of the videos online I seem to go a wee bit quicker than they do on the same type of roads. The art of going quickly is to ride smoothly as it were, not giving it full chat all the time.

There is no silicone goo on my bike. Copper gasket p/n 582638/A (a genuine RE part) seals pipe to head properly unlike the useless cement biscuit thing. The silencer clamp goes around just below and on the end of the slots to compress the pipe, if it is put on the middle of the slots there is a gap. No silicone required.

As for what I'm doing with the C5 - I think I'm planning to save the maps and take the PCV and Autotune back to square one to determine what the engine is actually trying to do (it looks too rich now) and start over with the mapping whilst incorporating what I've already learnt from the current mapping.
You see, running a dyno on it just determines the mapping for maximum power and we don't always want that, it's not a high revving engine so we want powerful mid-range torque as well as providing power up at 6000rpm. 34bhp is possible and just about right for this bike, but we get way more torque than a Velo Venom.

Mr.B

• Neophyte
  • Riding like a 16 year old on a stolen Gixxer.
Reply #7213 on: October 20, 2017, 12:14:31 am
Wished I could go for a ride because it has been more than 6 weeks since I ordered the parts to rebuild my forks.

longstrokeclassic

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7214 on: October 20, 2017, 10:43:24 am
Decided to clean the Scottish mud off of it that I collected on my last few weeks away on it in preparation for a good dousing of English road salt this winter ::) It still surprises me just how good the finish on this bike is, still comes up looking like it's only done a few thousand miles.

Never underestimate the value of improved combustion efficiency and reducing parasitic engine and rolling chassis losses.