Author Topic: What did you do to your Royal Enfield today?  (Read 1813302 times)

The Old Coot

• Grand Gearhead
  • A car moves the body, a motorcycle moves the soul
Reply #6525 on: May 31, 2016, 10:30:52 pm
Yeah, give Malky. Where'd you get the knob at? Or at least what's it from?

That's one of those "Why didn't I think of that" mods that we all can (and likely will) Copy. Likely to be known as a "Malky Key" on the board. Adds so much to the look of the bike.

Simply brilliant.
2012 Kawasaki Versys
2015 Royal Enfield C5 black
2008 Bullet ES 5 Iron Barrel

malky

• Grand Gearhead
  • Team Rough Inferior.
Reply #6526 on: May 31, 2016, 10:34:26 pm
How did you make that Malky?  Looks just right.
Reckon it would be good enough to grace another UK Bullet.... ;)

I got one of these,
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0118743MY/ref=pe_385721_134527521_TE_3p_dp_1

and got a new key cut, and then cut and filed down the top of the key, tig welded the cut down top and ground it round to fit the knob. The knob has a locking screw that secures it to the key. You need to measure up properly so the underside of the knob sits flush with the top of the ignition switch.
I was Molly Sugdens bridesmaid.

Spontaneity is the cure for best laid plans.
‘S Rioghal Mo Dhream

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #6527 on: June 01, 2016, 04:45:51 am
Love it!

A search on E-Bay for "chicken head knob" gives something like 22 pages of these!  ;D

I'm definitely "gonna"  8)
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

Blairio

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6528 on: June 01, 2016, 06:26:29 am
Did my key mod to make it look a bit more "period".

Liking this. It is what's known as a "chicken head" control knob, and it has come back in fashion big style now with makers of guitar stomp boxes and amps. I think one of my MZ's had similar thing.

mevocgt

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6529 on: June 01, 2016, 02:10:22 pm
Amplifier parts stores may have em on line too.

The Old Coot

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6530 on: June 01, 2016, 05:27:08 pm
Malky, can you post a photo of your ignition switch without the key in? The reason I ask is I looked and the switch on my C5 is held in by a large nut and I want to if the knob clears before I order it.

Thanks

Coot
2012 Kawasaki Versys

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #6531 on: June 01, 2016, 06:02:06 pm
Did my key mod to make it look a bit more "period".

genius !
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

malky

• Grand Gearhead
  • Team Rough Inferior.
Reply #6532 on: June 01, 2016, 06:35:49 pm
Malky, can you post a photo of your ignition switch without the key in? The reason I ask is I looked and the switch on my C5 is held in by a large nut and I want to if the knob clears before I order it.

Thanks

Coot
Once I get some suitable material, I'll make a surround for the nut to tidy things up a bit.
I was Molly Sugdens bridesmaid.

Spontaneity is the cure for best laid plans.
‘S Rioghal Mo Dhream

The Old Coot

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6533 on: June 01, 2016, 07:48:34 pm
Thanks Malky, that shows me what I wanted to see. You have the knob over the top of the nut. I was worried that RE had changed things on me.

So off to order and get an extra key made, don't want to cut up the factory ones.

Coot

PS I ordered the knob but couldn't find anyone in the States selling it so I had to order from the UK. Stated delivery is some time between 6/10 and 6/21. Good thing this isn't keeping from riding or I'd likely have a fit.  :P
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 02:08:42 am by The Old Coot »
2012 Kawasaki Versys

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
  • Riding the Madrass Missile!
Reply #6534 on: June 02, 2016, 03:38:03 am
Cylinder has arrived at Scooter Bob's Speed Shed. 
Precision power piston fitment is eminent!
Realize your Self on a Royal Enfield.

2015 Classic Chrome/Maroon; "Bholenath", Ported head by GHG, AVL Pistons, Hitchcocks H.P. Cams, PC-V, A/T,  Kenda-761's, Koso TNT, Premium EFI Silencer.

2015 Triumph T-100 Orange/Black, TTP Stage-2 induction
2012 Triumph Scrambler / Dauntless M-72D Sidecar.

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6535 on: June 03, 2016, 02:53:23 am
I think I will do that key mod too and a nice addition to the royal enfield chariot.......actually I just ordered it ;)

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6536 on: June 03, 2016, 04:36:24 am
Cylinder has arrived at Scooter Bob's Speed Shed. 
Precision power piston fitment is eminent!

Done !  ;D   Ummmm, this head could use some cleaning up next though..... ;) 8)     
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

Eagle56

• Bulleteer
Reply #6537 on: June 04, 2016, 04:01:21 pm
Broke down again, management keep coming on popping and farting again.
Parked up for a while then back to start up nothing no power lights or anything.

After a quick investigation found the little red battery wire severed.
Checked these before and repaired the earth in the past.

Result, ran like a scolded cat and the flat spot seams to have gone also ????

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
  • Riding the Madrass Missile!
Reply #6538 on: June 04, 2016, 05:34:53 pm
Piston fitment is complete with highest quality rings included! :)   Turnaround time? One day!
Now thats a "speed shed"!

Head porting is in process. Evidence of fuel "pooling" was found in intake port, also a very rough factory finish with casting "flash" and rough bits obstructing flow.  Clean up and porting should make a huge difference.  The funny thing is that bike ran great before, and that with obstructed flow!

Before we get started on judging RE for their production intake port quality, I'd like to mention that I've seen the same on many production line automotive ports in my day. It just seems to an acceptable practice in modern assembly line mass prodution.

This is one reason that as a mechanic, I am sold on intake and exhaust port clean up.
There is always hidden power, just waiting to be revealed in a stock head.

To summerize;
New custom SB/GHG designed J&E forged piston, providing much improved compression, in lightly machined cylinder for proper straightness and clearance, Excellent rings for sealing compression. 

Clean up and porting of stock head to provide free flowing fuel / exhaust.  Multi angle valve grind with bee hive valve springs and chrome moly pushrods for improved valve stability... a stock RE head with unsurpassed performance. what more could you ask for?

My heartfelt thanks and grattitude to Scooter Bob and GasHouseGorilla for "blueprinting" (my choice of words) my UCE.

There is more one can do, and later I probably will, but (OMG!!!)I think this will do for now.
Realize your Self on a Royal Enfield.

2015 Classic Chrome/Maroon; "Bholenath", Ported head by GHG, AVL Pistons, Hitchcocks H.P. Cams, PC-V, A/T,  Kenda-761's, Koso TNT, Premium EFI Silencer.

2015 Triumph T-100 Orange/Black, TTP Stage-2 induction
2012 Triumph Scrambler / Dauntless M-72D Sidecar.

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6539 on: June 05, 2016, 03:42:25 am
Piston fitment is complete with highest quality rings included! :)   Turnaround time? One day!
Now thats a "speed shed"!

Head porting is in process. Evidence of fuel "pooling" was found in intake port, also a very rough factory finish with casting "flash" and rough bits obstructing flow.  Clean up and porting should make a huge difference.  The funny thing is that bike ran great before, and that with obstructed flow!

Before we get started on judging RE for their production intake port quality, I'd like to mention that I've seen the same on many production line automotive ports in my day. It just seems to an acceptable practice in modern assembly line mass prodution.

This is one reason that as a mechanic, I am sold on intake and exhaust port clean up.
There is always hidden power, just waiting to be revealed in a stock head.

To summerize;
New custom SB/GHG designed J&E forged piston, providing much improved compression, in lightly machined cylinder for proper straightness and clearance, Excellent rings for sealing compression. 

Clean up and porting of stock head to provide free flowing fuel / exhaust.  Multi angle valve grind with bee hive valve springs and chrome moly pushrods for improved valve stability... a stock RE head with unsurpassed performance. what more could you ask for?

My heartfelt thanks and grattitude to Scooter Bob and GasHouseGorilla for "blueprinting" (my choice of words) my UCE.

There is more one can do, and later I probably will, but (OMG!!!)I think this will do for now.

Hahahaha !  ScooterBobs speed shed... I like it !   Thanks for the kind words Narada, we appreciate it.  ;)  And I couldn't agree more with your assessment on the "finish work" on this mass produced head.   Lets just say the " finish work"  after casting and machining left a lot to be desired.    Also, maybe they shouldn't ROLL the head across the factory floor to the next work station ?  Or hammer the head pipe into the port opening and raise the soft aluminum into a nice ridge ?!  :o ;D  ;)    Hehehehe !   No worries.... I think you are going to enjoy the Bike WAY more now.  8)
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.