Author Topic: What did you do to your Royal Enfield today?  (Read 1841691 times)

medioXcore

• Scooter
Reply #4860 on: August 30, 2014, 11:41:39 pm
Yesterday I took the clutch and front brake lever off and gave them a couple coats of spray on bed liner with low grit. I put them back on this morning. They look pretty good. My friend had the idea to wrap some 550 cord around them, too. I might try that out when I find some green cord.
2014 C5 Military

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."

Gen. James Mattis

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4861 on: August 31, 2014, 01:02:08 am
Last night I went for a cruise.  Ended up racing a Honda CRV with a car load of kids in it.  He had some kind of boosted motor in it.  I killed him from the first stoplight.  Then we went at it again from a rolling 40 mph start.  Had him until until about 65mph and then he spooled up and was gone.  Still fun times.  :D

Today I rode down to a local junk yard.  The rock station was broadcasting live for Willie B's Garage.  There were a bunch of rat rods and a few other bikes, and best of all FREE PANCAKES!!!  It was a good time too.  Got on her a little bit coming home, she's definitely a good running bike, but I can't wait to get the new ACE heads on there!  ;D
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

krimp

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4862 on: August 31, 2014, 04:54:50 am
I took a short ride, then lubed my chain. She was starting to make some noise.
Living in beautiful Colorado Springs, Co.
2014 Cream C5

Mr.Mazza

• Grand Gearhead
  • Upside down thumping
Reply #4863 on: August 31, 2014, 08:06:34 am
Went for a 120 mile ride on all sorts of roads, highways, backroads, dirt roads you name it!
Ended up with the 59ners riding from Healsvile to Flowerdale with 40 guys, felt awesome.
Then took crazy narrow twistie roads home.
A little noisy at times but she ran well.
Lizzy - 07 500 Deluxe ES - Red and chrome - Sold.

Scotty Brown

• Grand Gearhead
  • Scotty Brown
Reply #4864 on: August 31, 2014, 09:23:10 am
Practiced a little psycle therapy and bonded with my new Bullet----------------

The_Rigger

• Grease Monkey
  • Mom Always Liked You Better...
Reply #4865 on: August 31, 2014, 03:35:03 pm
Rigger,
Which template of the Frampton's fender plate did you go with?

I went with the standard 6-digit, on advice of the young lady I spoke with on the phone. I also made clear I was fitting a Royal Enfield fender and only had a five-digit registration number, which I think helped a lot.  The slicer follows the curve of the fender precisely.
-Dave
2012 C5 Special
Central Michigan, USA (when I'm not working somewhere else)

NorEaster

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4866 on: August 31, 2014, 04:46:23 pm
Rigger,
Thanks for the info on your slicer.
Today I straightened out the horn bracket and added maroon paint to the RE logos and the 500 EFI tappet cover

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4867 on: August 31, 2014, 05:18:43 pm
Just got back from a Sunday morning ride.  As most of you know I'm an aggressive rider and put the Blackhawk thru it's paces.  About a mile from my house I'm making a right turn from a stop light that turned green as I was approaching the intersection.  I canned on throttle and half way thru the turn I broke the tire loose!  I've done it on wet pavement before screwing around but that was the first time I've done it on dry pavement.  Totally caught me off guard but I stayed in it and rode it out hard!  I was smiling and laughing the rest of the way home!   ;D

Scottie J

pmanaz1973

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4868 on: August 31, 2014, 06:11:07 pm
Found a big abandoned parking lot and practiced slow speed maneuvers- figure eights, slow straight lines, balancing at a stop and start with feet on pegs and a few quick stops in and out of turns.  Didn't drop the bike ;D  Spent a few minutes adjusting my rear brake and brake peddle - the rear actually feels "good" now.
1984 XL350R
1991 XR250L
1976 Harley XLH 1000
1993 CBR 600
1976 Norton Commando 850
1972 BMW R75/5
2014 Royal Enfield C5

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4869 on: August 31, 2014, 06:17:22 pm
Found a big abandoned parking lot and practiced slow speed maneuvers- figure eights, slow straight lines, balancing at a stop and start with feet on pegs and a few quick stops in and out of turns.  Didn't drop the bike ;D  Spent a few minutes adjusting my rear brake and brake peddle - the rear actually feels "good" now.

Funny you should say that.  I ALMOST pulled into a school parking lot on my way to do the same thing.    :)

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #4870 on: August 31, 2014, 09:13:41 pm
Rigger,
Which template of the Frampton's fender plate did you go with?
I want to get one but want to get the right radius for my fender.

Regarding that number plate: I think they only make one radius, and it may not match the C5 fender.

b.sheets installed one, 6 digits long, and it looks like the radius is a little larger than his fender (his was the C5 special, so it's got a 19" front wheel).  Check out his thread for details, including where I asked the same question of him:

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,16136.0.html

There's photos of his, and squire's, installation there - both with 6 digits, both radii seemingly not quite matching.  Looks ok to me, but you did ask.

Rigger went with the standard 6-digit plate, but he only has 5 digits on his, which shortens the length a little bit, making the difference in radii less noticeable.  You may have trouble if you go for your long "vanity" plate number.  Or, maybe you could grind the bottom edge to fine-tune the radius?

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4871 on: August 31, 2014, 09:39:17 pm
A good weekend thus far.

Replaced muffler with emgo cocktail shaker.. Very growlie, and noticed a get a lot less vibration at 5k and above.

Replaced chain with a DID. Much quieter.

Adjusted TM32 carb... Dropped the mains to a 185. Hit 92 (GPS) lying a bit onto the tank. Put a 20w fork oil in, makes a big difference for me.

Found this little town between IL and WI. This sign cracked me up. Had to turn around and take a pic.

Suppose I were an idiot, and suppose I were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. ... Mark Twain
2006 AVL Electra

The_Rigger

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4872 on: August 31, 2014, 11:42:41 pm
Rigger went with the standard 6-digit plate, but he only has 5 digits on his, which shortens the length a little bit, making the difference in radii less noticeable.

FWIW, my Old Girl is a C5 Special as well, with the 19" front wheel and corresponding fender.
-Dave
2012 C5 Special

The_Rigger

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4873 on: August 31, 2014, 11:54:59 pm
Took the pillion pad off the bracket and used the bracket to mount a pair of saddlebags on Fiona... This raised the bag up above the mouth of the upswept exhaust, and I think it looks pretty good. I may get one of the chromed flat racks to affix to the top center of the bracket, for a place to lash on a cooler or sleeping bag or duffel or somesuch...
-Dave
2012 C5 Special

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4874 on: September 01, 2014, 12:14:24 am
DanB - Where is that?  I grew up on the central part of the WI/IL border, Beloit area.  I never remember being thru there before.

Scottie J