Author Topic: What did you do to your Royal Enfield today?  (Read 1840098 times)

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4800 on: August 18, 2014, 07:33:23 pm
quote] Am now at close to 1000 miles,none over 60mph! Last mpg 76mpg,corrected for odometer error. Enjoying this bike! 

What are you comparing the odometer reading to? If your using the speedo correction for the odometer, you're going to way off. The odometers are are usually quite accurate as the law requires them to be. It's to keep the manufacturers from cheating you out of warranty mileage. The odometer and speedometers are two separate entities in the speedo box. The speedo is driven by a spinning magnet and the odo is driven by gears. The speedo can be altered by the gap on the magnet. The odo is most easily adjusted by tire diameter changes.
have you checked it against the mile markers on  the freeway?
Not that I am questioning your mileage. Living up in the mountains makes that a very feasible mileage. I got that riding in the mountains around here.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

azcatfan

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2002 Bullet ES
Reply #4801 on: August 19, 2014, 04:16:36 am
I put my new tires and chain on the IB!    :D

Let me just say, everything that has been written about changing your stock tires and upgrading are true.  Do it, just do it, really, do it....

It feel more nimble, smoother, you can feel the road more, but not in an annoying 'too much vibration' way.  I'm only upset that I hadn't done it earlier.
-2002 Bullet ES Up-Jetted with Ace Air Canister and punched HD Exhaust.

My MotoVlog Channel:  http://tinyurl.com/nnso3av

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4802 on: August 19, 2014, 04:18:31 am
I put my new tires and chain on the IB!    :D

Let me just say, everything that has been written about changing your stock tires and upgrading are true.  Do it, just do it, really, do it....

It feel more nimble, smoother, you can feel the road more, but not in an annoying 'too much vibration' way.  I'm only upset that I hadn't done it earlier.

I thought you'd like those.   ;)
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

azcatfan

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2002 Bullet ES
Reply #4803 on: August 19, 2014, 04:20:10 am
I thought you'd like those.   ;)

You ain't kidding!  I haven't even scrubbed them in yet and they already feel stickier than the Avons.  The new chain is nice and quiet too :-)
-2002 Bullet ES Up-Jetted with Ace Air Canister and punched HD Exhaust.

My MotoVlog Channel:  http://tinyurl.com/nnso3av

retrolynn

• Bulleteer
Reply #4804 on: August 19, 2014, 04:42:04 am
barenekd: I checked the odometer with the mileage posts along the road,for 10 miles,several times,and found it to be .2 miles fast,in ten miles. When I filled up at 169 miles,indicated,I subtracted 3 miles,and put in 2.187 gallons,for 75.9 mpg. I figured that was close! The speedo seems to read about 3-4 miles an hour fast. Lynn
Lynn

krimp

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4805 on: August 19, 2014, 05:45:55 pm
Today, I rode into work. I have been out of town for the last week and a half. It felt good to ride again.
Living in beautiful Colorado Springs, Co.
2014 Cream C5

The_Rigger

• Grease Monkey
  • Mom Always Liked You Better...
Reply #4806 on: August 20, 2014, 06:56:29 am
Well, I've been here in Tokyo for about a month now, and missing my Fiona more and more, so this morning I got up early and had an Adventure before heading in to work at noon; I traveled by subway and city bus *waaay* off our beaten track between Minato-ku and Shibuya-ku, and visited one of the Enfield dealerships in the Tokyo metropolis; Wingfoot, waay up north in Adachi-ku. They've got several GTs ready to go, in a flaming yellow that I don't think we get in North America, do we? I got some brochurement from the sales guy and also bought an Enfield decal that I've never seen on any vehicle in North America... Not sure what I'll put it on yet. But it was certainly a fun morning, getting to look up close & personal at a GT and showing the Japanese salesdude some smartphone photos of my beloved Fiona....
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 07:23:45 am by The_Rigger »
-Dave
2012 C5 Special
Central Michigan, USA (when I'm not working somewhere else)

busmec

• Scooter
Reply #4807 on: August 21, 2014, 06:57:13 pm
My 2011 B5  original battery gave up & i replaced it with a agm battery.
Got a Duracell at Batteries Plus has a 2 year warranty. After il. state &  Fairview Heights city taxes  $113.00. Its a lot  better battery than the original Exide Batt. Oh and remember enjoy the ride.
    Dan

Carlsberg Wordsworth

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4808 on: August 21, 2014, 10:13:08 pm
Couple of hour blasts over the last couple of days.

Also a new tyre pressure gauge, shows I've been running at lower pressures than I thought. Has made 2 bikes feel completely different, giving less buzz on the Enfield and a lot more confidence in the bends. Might try K70s next as front @ 2.2mm. Anyone know the pressures for those or are they the same as the Avons?

Avons front and rear, 24 & 29 psi. Sorry if pics too big.

Techmaven

• Scooter
Reply #4809 on: August 22, 2014, 01:03:36 am
Took my Electra for a spin today..time for chain adjustment and check out the play in the swing arm.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4810 on: August 22, 2014, 03:22:33 am
Road to work today!  But made the mistake of filling up with 85 octane fuel.  Bike was pinging pretty bad, I had to baby it all the way to work without giving it more than 1/4 throttle.  When I got to work I put 16 ounces of gun wash solvent in the tank to get the octane up.  Was all better when I ride home.

Also, I tried installing the AVL center stand on the bike after work.  I say tried because it was too short.  When Hitchcocks says "will work with older iron barrels" apparently they mean older IB Bullets.    :-\

tresser4K

• Scooter
Reply #4811 on: August 22, 2014, 03:31:19 am
weld on a couple lengths of tubing sideways same as original feet) on the bottom of the centerstand

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4812 on: August 22, 2014, 04:19:17 am
You know that's not a bad idea.  I didn't think about welding the new one.  It's never been an option before as the old stand is cast aluminum.  I'll take another look at it tomorrow.  Oh also I don't have the right bushing for the mounting bolt.  The old one won't work.

Scottie J

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4813 on: August 22, 2014, 05:04:06 am
Forgot to post this.  This is how you change a center stand.  ;)

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #4814 on: August 22, 2014, 11:35:20 am
 8)

I'm going to get a lift like that right now, just in case I need to change my center stand.  I think Harbor Freight has a coupon right now, only $42...