Author Topic: What did you do to your Royal Enfield today?  (Read 1835022 times)

Mr.Mazza

• Grand Gearhead
  • Upside down thumping
Reply #4785 on: August 16, 2014, 03:28:43 pm
Replaced my broken clutch cable, lubed it and lubed up all my cables, feels much better now.
Also cleaned out my carby, and renwed my air filter and cleaned the hell out of her, gleaming and shiny!
Caught this cool photo of her too.
Lizzy - 07 500 Deluxe ES - Red and chrome - Sold.

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #4786 on: August 16, 2014, 06:34:14 pm
What did I do to my RE today? I had a few stern words with it for taking me past a copper with a camera at 45mph in a 30 limit the other day. This morning came the notice of intention to prosecute. This means a £100 fine and three points on my license (clean since 1995).
Bollocks!  >:(
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 06:41:48 pm by WillW »
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

retrolynn

• Bulleteer
Reply #4787 on: August 16, 2014, 10:51:41 pm
Willw:Ouch! That hurt!  I rode 80 miles,today,with a friend on his GT. Am now at close to 1000 miles,none over 60mph! Last mpg 76mpg,corrected for odometer error. Enjoying this bike!     lynn
Lynn

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4788 on: August 16, 2014, 11:11:58 pm
What did I do to my RE today? I had a few stern words with it for taking me past a copper with a camera at 45mph in a 30 limit the other day. This morning came the notice of intention to prosecute. This means a £100 fine and three points on my license (clean since 1995).
Bollocks!  >:(

Your motorcycle is REally misbehaving - going FASTER than the speed limit  :-[. What is wrong with it ? 

Hope you don't have to pay the fine or get points on your license. Give the cop a ride on your RE, may be he will tear off the ticket ;)!
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 11:25:16 pm by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #4789 on: August 17, 2014, 02:56:50 am
Very busy as we are closer to moving into the foreclosed house we bought in Florida, after being vacant 3 years, most of the spiders & lizards have been evicted. Still an armadillo den under the floor of the bedroom. Our stuff will arrive soon as it is livable.
  Had some actual playtime today. I didn't want to keep paying for the storage unit where I've been keeping my 2010 G5 Deluxe, since the garage at our place is now secure. I got to ride from Venice to North Port Fl. Not a real long ride, but very therapeutic for me. It was a beautiful morning. Hadn't run the bike in 2 weeks, but it started easily & behaved perfectly. The ride before that, it started after sitting well over a month.
  When our stuff arrives, the existing garage will be packed until I can arrange additional space, I will keep my Enfield in the tiled foyer. It has double doors & the bike IS housebroken & a cherished family member.
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4790 on: August 17, 2014, 04:58:20 am
......I will keep my Enfield in the tiled foyer. It has double doors & the bike IS housebroken & a cherished family member.

Bwahahahaha!!!!!  That is awesome.  8)  Wish I could teach my wife that.  Oh wait, my bike pees all over the place, I guess my bike isn't house broken.    ;D

FINALLY!!!  After 2 months of sitting (1st month due to weather, 2nd month due to a flat tire) I got out for a ride this evening!    :D  Earlier this afternoon I got her fired up and warmed up, but not after pulling the bowl off of the carb to get the float needle to stop sticking.  And she was running like a champ!  But still had a flat tire.  Then after talking to my business partner Tony, we decided to take a trip down to Performance Cycle to pick up some 2 stroke oil for the jet skis and figured while I was there I might as well get a tube for the bike.  Finally got started on it at about 7:30pm and had it wrapped up at about 8:45pm.  It was kind of a twat trying to get the rear wheel back on in the dark, but I got her put back together and went out for a short ride around town.  I think the front tire might be low tho because I got her up to around 80mph a few times and was getting a really bad speed wobble.  I thought maybe it was the grooved pavement at first, but it was doing it on asphalt too........  OK  So a cop blew past me while stopped at a stoplight with his lights and sirens on and I thought to myself "Well, the police are in front of me now.  Let's Go!"  Even after not running for 2 months, the Blackhawk get's up and boogies!  Still dealing with the cold clutch slip, but once she's up to temp, boy does she scream!  Good times!  I can't believe I went this long without riding at all.  Shit, I rode more over the winter than I have this summer!    ::)  Just glad to be back in the saddle.    :)
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #4791 on: August 17, 2014, 09:13:06 am
Singh - there's no way out unfortunately. It's a fixed penalty notice. Had I been marginally over the limit, I'd be offered a "speed awareness course" - £75, four hours of nagging, but no points on the licence. Not an option for 45mph.
I'd been riding home from local bike night, doing same speed as all the other traffic (cars) but they were targeting bikes. They have a purge every now and then when the locals complain.
OK it's a slap on the wrist. I've been lucky for a long time...  ;)

Plymouth Mega Ride today. Several thousand bikes rolling down the A38 to the coast. What a sight! What a racket!   8) :)
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

Royal Stargazer

• I have no idea what I'm doing.
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #4792 on: August 17, 2014, 09:29:53 am
At the end of a long adventure, I replaced my clutch cable. I was worried that, in my state and never having done it before, I would screw it up. I was wrong.

The director's cut includes heat exhaustion, overly-concerned friends (although the timely rescue was much appreciated,) and vigorous hydration.
2020 Royal Enfield Continental GT, A racer for more than just cafes
2005 Volvo S60 2.5T AWD, Two doors too many
2003 Royal Enfield Bullet, two-wheeled time machine

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4793 on: August 17, 2014, 07:45:19 pm
Well I thought I had about a half tank of gas and I thought I had my wallet on me........   Oops.

azcatfan

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2002 Bullet ES
Reply #4794 on: August 17, 2014, 08:00:30 pm
Well I thought I had about a half tank of gas and I thought I had my wallet on me........   Oops.

;D  That sucks....

I took the wheels off of my IB, new shoes and new chain tomorrow :-)
-2002 Bullet ES Up-Jetted with Ace Air Canister and punched HD Exhaust.

My MotoVlog Channel:  http://tinyurl.com/nnso3av

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #4795 on: August 17, 2014, 08:17:21 pm
Bwahahahaha!!!!!  That is awesome.  8)  Wish I could teach my wife that.  Oh wait, my bike pees all over the place, I guess my bike isn't house broken.    ;D

FINALLY!!!  After 2 months of sitting (1st month due to weather, 2nd month due to a flat tire) I got out for a ride this evening!    :D  Earlier this afternoon I got her fired up and warmed up, but not after pulling the bowl off of the carb to get the float needle to stop sticking.  And she was running like a champ!  But still had a flat tire.  Then after talking to my business partner Tony, we decided to take a trip down to Performance Cycle to pick up some 2 stroke oil for the jet skis and figured while I was there I might as well get a tube for the bike.  Finally got started on it at about 7:30pm and had it wrapped up at about 8:45pm.  It was kind of a twat trying to get the rear wheel back on in the dark, but I got her put back together and went out for a short ride around town.  I think the front tire might be low tho because I got her up to around 80mph a few times and was getting a really bad speed wobble.  I thought maybe it was the grooved pavement at first, but it was doing it on asphalt too........  OK  So a cop blew past me while stopped at a stoplight with his lights and sirens on and I thought to myself "Well, the police are in front of me now.  Let's Go!"  Even after not running for 2 months, the Blackhawk get's up and boogies!  Still dealing with the cold clutch slip, but once she's up to temp, boy does she scream!  Good times!  I can't believe I went this long without riding at all.  Shit, I rode more over the winter than I have this summer!    ::)  Just glad to be back in the saddle.    :)

If you put your new ACE hi-lift heads and Interceptor R cams and a pair of TM32 carbs on your Blackhawk, there is going to be some concern about clutch holding.
 8) ;D
Home of the Fireball 535 !

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4796 on: August 17, 2014, 08:37:38 pm
Yeah, I'm pretty sure someone helped themselves to my gas.  How does 2-3 gallons just evaporate in 2 months?!  Unless I really had ridden further than I thought the last time I filled up, but it seems like the last time I did fill up I just rode to work twice which is only 120 miles and I can usually get about 250 out of a tank.  Hmmmmm.........

Anyways, it was cheap entertainment for a bit.  I was only about 5 miles from home when it cut out on me.  So I pulled off and started smacking the hell out of the carb thinking the float needle was stuck again.  Well after about 3 minutes of smacking I started thinking what the hell is going on here.  So I sloshed the tank around and that's when I realized I was empty.  Luckily, where I stopped was the entrance to a plaza with a gas station on the other end.  Even better there was a slight downward grade so I only had to push for about 15' and was able to coast the whole way into the pump.  Go to pull my wallet out and my pocket was empty.  Yay!    :-\  Had to call my wife to come save the day.  It's good to have a good woman who loves you.     :)

If you put your new ACE hi-lift heads and Interceptor R cams and a pair of TM32 carbs on your Blackhawk, there is going to be some concern about clutch holding.
 8) ;D

I've been thinking about that Ace.  I have a feeling I'm going to need to install a Newby before I do the motor swap.  I'm also thinking about ordering another 3 "heavy" clutch basket springs for now to see if that helps any.  I know my GS550 had a way heavier clutch than the Blackhawk does, and my clutch hand could definitely take the extra stiffness.  I should have just ordered those extra springs when I bought the rest of the clutch parts like I was originally thinking of doing, but decided that the nnew set up would be just fine.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4797 on: August 17, 2014, 11:45:08 pm
Oh yeah!  The speed wobble last night was definitely a low front tire.  Checked it this morning and was only 9psi.  But I decided while I was playing with air pressures I would try different pressures.  Previously I was running 26psi front and 22psi rear.  Today I changed it to 30psi front 28psi rear.  A little bit stiffer ride but the handling is much more responsive now.

Mr.Mazza

• Grand Gearhead
  • Upside down thumping
Reply #4798 on: August 18, 2014, 09:00:57 am
Oh yeah!  The speed wobble last night was definitely a low front tire.  Checked it this morning and was only 9psi.  But I decided while I was playing with air pressures I would try different pressures.  Previously I was running 26psi front and 22psi rear.  Today I changed it to 30psi front 28psi rear.  A little bit stiffer ride but the handling is much more responsive now.

Hey I woke up to a 0psi rear! Dirty nail sticking out of it :(
Local bike shop picked it up for free and put my spare tube in while I was at work, pick it up tomorrow. Fitted tube, balanced and aligment for $50
Not complaining as I have no knowlege of fitting bike tyres and dont wanna want till the weekend.
Lizzy - 07 500 Deluxe ES - Red and chrome - Sold.

sjbiat

• Bulleteer
Reply #4799 on: August 18, 2014, 02:27:15 pm
 Vintage bike tour.  (This was actually a week ago.)  There was a covered bridges tour for vintage bikes, around Walton NY.  They had no problem with a RE participating, and I was the only one.  Lots of fun.  350 miles that weekend.  (The oldest bike was a 47 Harley; I could barely keep up with it.)

Stephan

stephan
09 C5 with Cozy sidecar now
formerly
97 Motoguzzi
94/02 Ural
85 BMW R80
64 BMW R60/Hollandia/Steib
61 BMW R69/Watsonian
60 Pugeot